Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all, I have been a member of IES for a couple of years but havnt actively been a part of it for almost two years now! But for the past few months my emet has been getting bad again and I am now having an internal struggle with myself due to fitness, I don't know where else to go.

I am constantly thinking about how I need to lose weight and how self conscious I am of my body, and every hour of the day I think 'I should go for a walk, I should do some yoga' etc etc. But everytime I think about exercise, it sends me into panic. Last year I was a member at the gym and used to work out about 4 times a week. I had been going for about 10 months and all of a sudden, one random day, I was running on the treadmill and suddenly felt like I needed to be s*. I ran to the bathrooms where I fought so hard to keep it down. I did, but that feeling haunts me everyday. Now even when I have to walk from the train to work or even playing Nintendo Wii makes me feel puffed and I wait anxiously for that feeling to come back again. I do smoke, and am also having a conflict with myself in regards to that and trying to quit.

I'm unhappy and I just want to be healthy and free and fit. How do I break out of this cycle of thinking so negatively about exercise? I want to exercise so badly, I just can't bring myself to do it because I'm so scared and I know the fact that I smoke will probably make me s* when I do exercise. Is there anyone else in a similar situation? Particularly smokers? I hate the fact that I'm addicted and it makes more and more miserable everyday thinking how I'm so controlled by the damn cigarettes. Any response would be a help.

-Stef Edited by: stef
    stef - everything happens for a reason

Maybe find something that you might not exactly think is exercise... you said you played Wii, for my emet & exercise, all I do is play 30 straight minutes of DDR. I'm not a therapist or anything, but it sounds like you're scared of exercise because you associate it with v*. Perhaps you could start off with little baby steps, for instance, exercise until you start to feel your anxiety come on, then stop and tell yourself 'I am going to be okay,' or something else until the anxiety passes. And then maybe you can work at longer and longer times. =/ It probably is not as easy as I make it sound though. Are you seeing someone for your emet? Maybe they can help you with your smoking as well; my grandma stopped smoking working with a therapist.

I kind of feel that way about exercise too. I am afraid that if I push myself too much, I will feel sick or n*. I used to do kickboxing, and one time I got nervous and n* and it really scared me. I couldn't get home fast enough. I always wanted to take up running but I'm afraid to push myself. Can you get sick from overdoing it?

Hi Stef, Sorry you are having a hard time with exercise. Have you tried something more low impact. Yoga or Pilates or just some simple stretches? Something like that might help you to regain some comfort w/ physical activity. It might help to remind you how good your body can feel when you work out. I think that you can overcome this if you work at it for a while.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I have tried yoga etc, am planning on buying a fit ball and a dvd or some books to do some slower stuff. I do stretches and exercises in my room (I'm a uni student living in a sharehouse so don't exactly want to do it in the loungeroom in front of my housemates! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] ) I used to do ballet until I was 14 and was so incredibly fit, 7 days a week, 12 hours on Saturdays and Sundays and could have gone to the Australian Ballet if it wasn't for financial/family circumstances. So I screw around in my room doing some old ballet stuff and I enjoy it, but again I hardly get to do much at all bcos I get scared as soon as I begin to feel puffed, which doesn't take much when you're doing ballet-moves.

Leia, your words summarised exactly what I am afraid of. It's any kind of physical activity that I'm scared of. Even lifting heavy stuff or ANYTHING that makes me feel exhausted is such a struggle. My sex life is going downhill bcos I find myself making excuses to my boyfriend not to all the time without knowing why and I think this might be part of it?? And also, yes I know how good it makes you feel, i battled a hard hit of depression years ago and through all my therapy etc learned how exercise is a huge/THE BIGGEST help anyone with depression can get. Plus I'm in my third year of a psych degree so I know the benefits it has on your mind. Even so, I just wish this damn fear would leave me alone [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Of all the strength, will power and mental gusto I have in most areas of my life, this emet just keeps creeping in and affecting me in ways any non-emet person would take for granted. And also, Leia, thankyou for the words, "I think that you can overcome this if you work at it for a while." Those simple words really give me hope and maybe I need to work on reminding myself that I 'can-do' things!!!!!

No I'm not seeing anyone for my emet, I tried to years ago but didn't feel I got anything from it. Thanks guys, I went for a 10-minute walk to the post box today and even that was a massive, massive struggle. I felt the fear and the watery mouth a couple of times and it was just so exhausting [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Anyone else out there still that have the same thoughts towards exercise and your emet getting in the way?

I am struggling with the exact same thing right now, so I feel ya! I'm thin, but not tone at all. I've seen on tv (Biggest Loser, work out, etc) where people get so sick when they first start working out.
    I smoke also, have for almost 15 years, and am due to quit on May 1. That day has been marked on the calender for a few months and I am super nervous and excited at the same time. I'm not using anything to help...just going cold turkey.
    I do plan on walking as a replacement for the cravings. Based on what I've read, you should eat and drink water a few hours before you exercise, and only sip on water as you are working out. I guess dehydration/drinking too much while you're working out is what makes people sick. Start slow and you should be fine.
    Stay strong and know that I'll be going through it with you. Good Luck!

Hello Jamie,

I am feeling increasingly miserable everytime I have a cigarette bcos I would just LOVE to be free of it's chains. And everytime I have one I think 'I wonder how Jamie from the forum is going with quitting?' lol.

So how are you going with it? Have you managed to fight off the awful habit? How are you dealing with the cravings and a daily routine without the smoking?

Let me know how you are holding up!

-Stef

U can get sick if u over due it. Just take it slow and ur body will let u know when its time to quit or slow down.
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Stef,

Exercise, actually, is marvelous for the immune system. You'll be at a very, very low risk with walking, and it will definitely let you feel better emotionally. You don't have to power walk. It's a good idea to take it easy when you first begin but it's all right to go briskly. Really, walking is such a wonderful thing. Good luck, Stef!

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

I work out extensively and have never even come close to feeling n* or sick.

My suggestion would be to do something mildly active that keeps your mind occupied. A walk through a scenic park, tennis, line dancing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook