Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last week I got the bus at around 8.00pm which immediately put me in an anxious frame of mind due to the possibility of drunks (unfortunately I am 16 and cannot drive).
    I was standing at the front with my friend who was sitting doen. I was standing in the bit where prams go.
    My fears were confirmed when a drunk got on the bus and sat wher I was stood, prompting me to go to the back of the bus.
    Usually I would have got of the bus along with my understanding friend, however, recentley I have been trying to stay on when I feel anxious to combat emet.
    The man spat a bit on his top and then v* slightly and although I got very anxious, I wasn't as nervous as I expected and stayed sitting, although I was very agitated.
    The man then v* a lot on the floor and this was breaking point, whilst everybody else seemingly laughed at him, my friend and I jumped up and pressed the emergency open button to get off the bus, much to the annoyance of the driver.
    I was completely shaken up and extremely anxious, but surprisingly did not have a panic attack.
    Before the incident, I had been learning to get over the fear of travelling on buses as I have to take 4 buses a day to get to and from school (even though this usually increase to around 8 due to me getting on and off buses due to anxiety). However, I now feel completely helpless on buses and get completely panicky on buses and pinpoint a person who I know in my mind is healthy but I always see as unhealthy.
    Does anybody have any advice?

It is really horrible to listen to or see a person vomit. It's generally difficult to think of anything much more traumatic.

This probably won't help at all, but I find comfort in knowing that it's not a virus, that the person is only drunk. You can't catch it!

And do drunks get on buses often in your area? If not, try not to worry too much when you get on a bus (because you don't have to. I realize that's horribly difficult, but I learned to do it and so can you with practice). If so, still try not to worry too much (this is harder but also something you can do with practice).

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

Stupid drunk, LOL. Sorry you had to endure that. I would have been nervous too but knowing that i cant catch"drunk" would make me OK.
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gosh, i'm so sorry that happened to you! I agree with maddyblythechen, for me it would be slightly comforting because i would know it wasn't a virus...so i can't catch it! so maybe that will help with dealing with drunk people?

Wow, I wish I didn't sound so lame when I say stuff like 'I'm so proud of you - another fellow emet - for doing what you did!' But... good for you! Going into a situation where you know you are going to be uncomfortable is tough (I've been sort of doing the same thing with going to parties where there will be drunks), but you handled it quite well! As bad as it sounds, the experience was probably good for you, because think of how some time ago, you might not have been able to make it that far into the situation!

Thanks a lot!
    The thing that sort of made me feel better if you like is the fact that it wasn't as bad as I thought, although it was still bad.