Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hi

Edited.Edited by: tommy_wynette

Welcome to the site. I may not be a good source of information but didn't want you to think that you were being ignored. There is much information to be had right here on this site and other members might have more insight for you.

I'm sorry to hear of your girlfriends(?) problem. I think to some degree you will find that most of us avoid social activities due to our phobia and most of us have at one time or another washed our own hands bloody to avoid catching "IT".

I hope that you and your friend find the help she needs -- I'm sure she is grateful happy to have your support.

Wish I had more to offer...

Hi Tommy, I'm sorry to hear about your problem! Well I suppose it's her problem, but it's clearly causing you great grievance!

I'm in the exact same position with my boyfriend, I've been emet my whole life and he's virtually the opposite (which worries me [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] ) but recently I've been getting a lot better - I'm not as afraid of social interaction, I don't wash my hands raw, etc. I think it's because he keeps me busy - he forces me to go to class everyday (whereas sometimes I don't want to go because I'm scared of interaction at times) he makes sure I get out all the time for dinner or shopping in my spare time... Basically what I'm trying to say is that he makes sure I'm ALWAYS doing something and not just sitting around, which is a big problem for emets because they will have time to worry about getting sick, etc.

So my advice is to drag her kicking and screaming out into the real world, this sounds harsh but trust me she'll thank you later, I certainly am thankful that my boyfriend cares enough for me to help me overcome my problem!

I hope this has helped, and I hope that everything works out for you! Remember, you have to be cruel to be kind [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx