Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New to forum

I just found this forum and am so happy to see that I am not alone. My sister is also like this, but we thought we were the only ones. I have had this fear for a long time, but only recently have begun having anxiety attacks along with it.

This week two of my children were ill one evening and I had such a bad anxiety attack that I went to the ER in the middle of the night. My husband took care of the kids and I felt like such a bad mother, but I had to get out of there. I have alot of other stuff going on in my life right now that I felt the anxiety could be from that as well, but it was really triggered by the latest event.

I was given Xanax at the ER and went home and slept for a day. Now I'm back at work and feeling groggy, but okay. When I freaked out I wanted to die, but at the same time I didn't want to. I just wanted the situation to end. But I know with growing kids that it's going to keep happening so I've got to do something about it. My husband doesn't understand, he just yells at me when I get "that way."

Usually, I can take care of my kids, but I also have a prescription on hand for myself (albeit it's an old one from when I was pregnant, but it still works). Lately, my reaction has gotten worse each time. Like others, I will do anything to prevent myself from being s***. I have funny little things that I do, almost OCD. Handwashing is big and I always use my sleeve to open doors after washing my hands and before eating. I don't touch my food if I don't have to and if I eat french fries, I have a little pile of ends that I don't eat because that's where I touched them. But despite it all, it still happens.

Last fall was horrible (sorry), my whole family got food poisoning from McDonald's. I was the only one up all night taking care of all of them. I survived it somehow. Since then, I freak out. I have avoided eating McDonald's since then and will for the rest of my life. Burger King is already off the list from a couple years ago. And now Subway is off too.

The thing about me that most people don't seem to understand is that when I am N, it actually hurts. It hurts severely. I cry and moan. When I was pregnant and had m/s, I never v****. But I was N and it hurt like heck. The doctor recommended all kinds of things to try, but nothing helped until one kind nurse mid-wife finally understood and prescribed Zofran for me. It was a life saver. Each time in the past decade that I've been s***, I have had to go to the ER because I'm in such pain. My stomach clinches up and nothing will relieve it except some strong meds. I feel like this pain is part of my fear. When I explain that to people, they look at me like I have a third eye.

This is so irrational for me. Normally I am a logical rational strong person. I can handle other bodily fluids no problem. I can clean things up no problem.

I got a prescription for Ativan from the ER doc and was happy to see that it also has anti-emetic properties. But they really want me to to go my family doctor and get on something for depression and anxiety. I've never been on anything like that before, but I feel like I need something. Of course, I didn't admit to anyone about my phobia being related to the anxiety because I felt so stupid anyway.

Thank you all so much for being here and listening to me!

Welcome to the forum. I can relate to many things you have experienced. It's horrible how this phobia controls our daily lives.

If you want to look on the bright side of having emetophobia, giving up McDonalds and Burger King is better for your health. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Check out this blog post I wrote that thoroughly details what emetophobes go through.

http://fearsandphobias.blogspot.com/...is-is-repost-o f-my-first-blog-entry.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Momofthree, glad you made ur way here. I can relate as to eating at certain places and when something happens with the food there, you never go there again. Makes enjoying a dinner out very difficult. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Georgi