Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

How exactly does a severe emetophobe even go through the process necessary to get dentures let alone wear them? Just the thought makes me gag. I would rather die than have to get an impression of my teeth made - arrgh!

Has anyone had to have this kind of dental work done? If so, how did you get through it and what has your experience wearing the dentures been?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No dentures, but I've had those impressions done. The first time, I have to admit it was horrible - they made the stuff way too runny and I kept gagging on it because it tried to run down my throat. The second time was so much better I hardly noticed. If you have to get that done, I recommend telling them to please make it as thick as possible because you gag easily! Also, the top impression is harder than the bottom one.

Why do they think you need dentures??

Ive had impressions and it is awful but doesnt last long, thank gosh.
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ive had impressiions done too, and I also was terrified at the thought of it. But I told my dentist of my fears, and he made the stuff really thick and was really calm and reassuring, so definatley talk to him and tell him youre scared of gagging etc. It ended up being totally fine, and I didnt even nearly gag or anything. I felt quite silly when I came out afterwards!! I have to have it done again in a few weeks, and im not worried at all now!!

So just being hinest with your dentist and he/she will do what they can to make it as easy for you as possible hun.

xxx

i had impressions done for braces, it wasn't bad at all..the stuff was quite cold on my teeth though..other than that nothing

I've also had impressions done, a few times. I never had a problem of gagging or anything, though it is uncomfortable to have all that stuff in your mouth. But it's not like you have to do it for hours.

But I've had other friends have negative experiences with it. One friend was already sick (beginning of chicken pox) and even told the dentist she felt sick but he forced her to do it anyway. She ended up v* on him.

Another friend had eaten a big breakfast, but didn't v*. Just said he felt n* (or gaggy, can't remember) and it was uncomfortable on a full stomach.

Impressions aren't bad. There is nothing in them that can hurt you if you swallowed a little. Just be sure the dentist or assistant is aware that you are gaggy and to be gentle and not hurried in removing them. Remember, the only person who dislikes a patient vomiting as much as an emet patient is the dental employee.All you have to do is tell them you are worried about the possibility of vomiting and they will be extra careful to make sure it doesn't happen.

Which it wouldn't anyway. You will be fine.

Doug

PS. If you ever want a crazy taxi driver to slow down, tell him you will vomit if he doesn't.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I have had tons of impressions done (braces) and it's not that bad. The worst part for me is getting that stuff off your teeth when they get done.

LOL Gumdropper over here in AUS the taxi drivers have actually made the floors of their taxis plastic/rubber so that all they have to do is hose the v* out (handy for those late saturday night bogans they pick up like me lol). So they don't care anymore if you threaten them with v*ing in their taxi lol!
    Lauren xx