Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've always had a fear of v* but it never became phobic until 3 years ago. That's when it consumed my mind and began controling my life.

What brought on the initial phobia was stress. Needless to say, I don't handle stress well at all. Even the slightest anxiety becomes a major stress factor for me.

One reason I rarely watch the News (primarily those 24 hour news channels) is because watching wars, natural diseasters, children being abused, etc upsets me and makes my emet worse. I'm not completely out of touch with world events as I do read online news and I watched a limited amount of local nightly news.

Lately, between cyclones and earthquakes in Asia, tornadoes, wildfires in Florida, shootings in Chicago and the political games presidential candidates play, my phobia is worse.

I'm wondering how many others have a harder time dealing with emetophobia when big disastrous world events happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah I don't watch the news. Seriously, its depressing and anxiety inducing. I guess the stress/anxiety makes the emet worse since they're all linked.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

To be quite honest, my phobia has not gotten better or worse no matter what happens. Its just so sad about all these tragedies everywhere. Makes me wonder what the heck is going on in this world. I hate when all this stuff happens at once. I wish i was one of those people that can get right on a plane and go help wherever they need it. But I just cant do it.
    Georgi

Yep, when theres really awful stuff happening, it makes my phobia worse too. I feel all panicky and anxious and then i start to feel sick. I remember the day of the twin towers, I saw it on the first breaking nwsflash, and I couldnt eat or sleep for a few days. I think if youre a very empathic person like me (sounds like you are) then all these things will affect you because its so frightening.

So youre not alone hunni xx

If you have satellite TV, watch the Canadian news. I'm serious. American newscasters have this whole fear-mongering thing going on. I swear, anxiety drives the American people.

Canadians report the big stuff in the world but we also report things like bathtub races and dogs being rescued from ice flows!

(You'll also get a more accurate account of how your presidential primaries are going, btw. The BBC - British news - is better than American for that too)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.