Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

What is the strongest emet that will guarantee you cant get sick when you have like the flu or something...
    Phinnegren? Compazine? Also, are these addictive??

Honestly, not to scare you, but there is no promise that any drug will work 100% to stop you from being sick. What other people swear by others might think sucks anyway. Everyone is different and things work for different people.

I don't think anyone can claim to know a drug that can guarantee you won't be sick so it's best to work on stopping anxiety, not stopping throwing up.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

hippychick, i definitely agree with stopping the anxiety and not the v*;
    that's what i want to be able to do, and that's key in curing this phobia. i
    would love to be able to just v* without the anxiety, as gross as that
    may sound.

kaylin, i've never tried any prescription anti-emetics, but i have taken
    dramamine a couple of times when i was really n* and it did the trick
    for me. i hear prescription zofran works really well though too.

Ive taken Zofran but have found that it didnt help with the nausea. I didnt v* but still felt like I was going to. I think u just need to find whatever works for you.
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everybody's body reacts to medicine differently. What may work for one, may not have any effect at all on another...that's why medication is so tricky in my opinion.
    I'm with Louise on this one...our answer, however much I want it to be isn't in a pill, but in how we control our anxiety...wouldn't it be nice if we could just turn off nausea/v* once and for all? Like a button on a remote??? Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way...
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes... unfortunately nothing is 100%.

Prochlorperazine (Compazine) is heavy duty stuff; I wouldn't try to find any or worry about its efficacy. I would just use OTC Dramamine. Some studies suggest it's about as effective as Ondansetron (Zofran) and it's much cheaper.

I am not familiar with Promethazine (Phenergan), but some quick research shows it is an antihistamine. Not that antihistamines are automatically safe, but generally I would advise trying an antihistamine antiemetic before using something like Compazine.

Also, there's nothing wrong with trying more natural methods to reduce nausea, such as ginger.

Are you on any sort of anti-anxiety medication?

would it work if I slipped one of these drugs into bulimic sister's food? LOL

i dont believe in anti-emetics - i dont think they are healthy and i believe people like us who are scared of vomiting are suceptible to addiction to anti-emetics.

Therefore, I have never even touched them!

ISAIAH 41:10

I have tried them all, and for me, Phenergan is the best, and just having it around at all times prevents a lot of anxiety. It works so well for me that I know that no matter how sick I feel, within ten minutes of taking it, I will actually be hungry. Hard to imagine, but it does! I usually take it with ginger pills, because they work right away and help during the ten minutes it takes for phenergan to work

I take Zofran it's prescription though it works for me though [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

If you're interested in anti emetics read the wikipedia article on them. I will caution that I am not a doctor or pharmacist and that info is not peer reviewed or official, however I have found wiki articles to be pretty accurate on other things which I had the knowledge to understand a little better so check it out FWIW.. an interesting read.

Nothing is 100 percent, but Zofran is really good.

Stella

I think it probably is really good at supressing n* and v* it was developed to help patients get through chemotherapy and acts on the 5ht3 receptors in the brain, probably not 100% but very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by prncesspnk
    i would love to be able to just v* without the anxiety, as gross as that
    may sound.
    I know how you feel! I would LOVE to love v*.The anxiety makes it a million times worse. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Domperione (might be spelt incorrectly) is pretty good - my mum gets them from the hospital for me as she's a nurse. It really does the trick and often the knowledge that you've taken an anti emetic quells the anxiety and therefore quells that extra nausea. I always make sure the nausea is very bad or real before I consider taking one, so as not to make it ineffective in future.

I think Anti-Emet medications can be a HUGE advantage to the person suffering from emetophobia if used correctly. Just carrying compazine with me provided a sense of relief and control, knowing that I had a gameplan if something were to happen. For a number of years it provided an "almost emtophobia free" lifestyle that I now miss greatly. I did get sick a couple of years ago with *sv, and the meds did not stop me from *v though.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Since then, the fear has returned worse than ever. I am carrying new prescription meds with me now (Zofran and Reglan), but my confidence in them is not as great now. It is still a relief to have something to try in an "emergency situation".

iv only tried prochlorperazine, which seems to have been working so far. (compazine)

its interesting that zofran, and dramamine seem to also be popular choices, has anyone tried all 3 of these and found a particular difference in effectiveness?

i also have a bigger question, has anyone tried taking (if its possible to be taken with an anti emetic) some form of drug that stops panic/anxiety? i mean, i figure that would be another way to tackle this problem rather than just the nausea.

i mean its anxiety/panic that makes the ordeal sug a big deal for us, i don't think it wud take the fear out of our heads, but i know for a fact that if i had no panic or anxiety while feeling nauseas, i might just be able to be s*. (when i feel sick, i actually consider being sick, but it has a battle with the wills of my fear).

I used promethazine for awhile. It worked well for me - at least I assume it did, since it's primary effect was to knock me out cold. I was fine with that (who wouldn't be, when nauseated?). The only side effect was that I would feel tired all the next day.

These days I just use Emetrol when I feel sick. It always seems to do the trick.

Hippychick,

I don't know about over-the-counter, but I think THE strongest anti-emetic is Zofran, which is usually used for chemotherapy patients. I used it last time I had a stomach bug and had to spend a night in the Emergency Room. It worked amazingly. I think that Zofran is THE strongest, but don't recommend trying to obtain it.

Ginger gum gets me through nausea -- the gum (made by SeaBand and available in pharmacies -- not sure exactly which ones, but I got my gum at RiteAid, in the US) tastes good, with a powerful flavor.

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

I got a stomach virus several months ago and had to go to the emergency room due to severe dehydration. They gave me Phenergan there and it definitely stopped the v*. Phenergan has always worked for me, without fail but it makes me so DROWSY.
    Crayon

To answer Kyle's question, ativan(lorazepam) can be taken with at least some anti emetics. I have taken it with dramamine(dimenhydrinate) and it helps quell the anxiety. Also, the benzodiazepam drugs have a synergistic effect with some anti emetics and are often used to prevent or reduce nausea and v*ing in chemo and radiation therapy. You just have to have a trusted pharmacist or do the research online yourself to make sure any drug cocktail you may be taking is not dangerous. There are many online drug checkers. Just cause there is an interraction does not mean it is unsafe, for instance most antiemetics cause drowsiness and many anti anxiety meds may increase this effect as may other antiemetics or your regular SSRI drugs. The remedy is not to become dependant on antiemetics to exist and only use them when you are sick or have severe anxiety and not use them when driving at least not unless you know you can still be alert and safe or when performing other potentially hazardous activities.