Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So, I haven't v* in a long time. About 8 years now. The thing is, every time I have, I never knew it was coming. I mean, I felt n* (and I am very familiar with THAT feeling), but once the v* actually came up, I never knew when it was coming and would just v* all over the place.

Now when I'm feeling particularly bad, my main panic is "How do I know when it's going to happen?" I'll spend some hours in the bathroom trying to convince myself it's OK and to just let it out, but I'm scared of that moment coming. I'm also too scared to stay in bed or somewhere that isn't the bathroom out of fear of making a mess if I do v*.

My question is, what does it feel like when you v*? How do you know it's time to get up and run to the toilet? Is there anyway to know? Are there any special signs?

Thanks.

You must be reading my mind. I do the same thing and look forward to reading the responses here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

True story, I make a bed on the bathroom floor. I really do! As a matter of fact I've had a particulary crappy week and don't think I've slept in bed once this week. It's the bathroom floor for me again tonight and that's after taking anti emetics. It just sucks feeling like this but if it's really bad just put a garbage bag or something next to your bed and grab it on the way to the bathroom just in case. You'll probably never need it but it might be comforting just in case.

It is hard to tell if it's time or not. The good thing is that most of the time we are just fine but we stress ourselves out about it anyway.Edited by: jen_s

Whoa you guys are lucky... Everytime I'm about to v* all the blood rushes to my head and I go into like a surreal state (like im on some mega drug haha) and I lose control of my body, and on my way to the toilet I actually COLLAPSE on the ground because I can't feel my body anymore! I mean WTF?! Does anybody else get this?? So not only do I have to put up with v*ing, I also have to put up with the bruising/aches from hitting the ground hard that last for days after the v*ing is over! AARRGGHHH!
    Lauren xx

omg, i'm the same way! it's been almost 15 years for me, and i have
    nooo idea what it's going to feel like, or how i'll know when to run to the
    toilet (actually, i'd prefer to just do it in the dark into a plastic bag... lol)

I ALWAYS ask my boyfriend this same question. And his response is "you will know". Which never really works for me cause the panic attacks make me feel like I am going to. Its been a while since I have and I remember salvating alot. My mom says it feels like you molars are floating. This idea has helped alot cause when I do get panic attacks this symptom never seems to happen. Hope I could help.
    Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer1309
    I ALWAYS ask my boyfriend this same question. And his response is "you will know". Which never really works for me cause the panic attacks make me feel like I am going to. Its been a while since I have and I remember salvating alot. My mom says it feels like you molars are floating. This idea has helped alot cause when I do get panic attacks this symptom never seems to happen. Hope I could help.
    Danielle
    I ask my boyfriend, too. He says he can just feel it in his throat. Once we were laying in bed and he had to v*, he felt it in his throat, but kindly held it down for a while and did it when I left. That doesn't help too much for me, since I never really could "feel" it in my throat like he says. It was always like, I'd blink and when I opened my eyes there was v* all over the floor in front of me. I wish I had that kind of control my boyfriend has!

Doesn't anyone read my Vomiting FAQ anymore?[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]

Here is what it says about this:

Q. How can I know when I'm so nauseated that vomiting is inevitable?

A. As The Doctors Book of Home Remedies II puts it, "if low-key queasiness turns to gotta-go nausea, try to relax -- it is going to happen whether you want it to or not."
    When the mouth waters excessively -- the medical literature calls it hypersalivation -- it's unlikely that you'll be able to turn the tide. (It's a good idea to teach children that they should get to the toilet when they're feeling sick and their mouths water.) And when you feel your tongue lock down (the roof of your mouth is rising too in order to give what's coming more room), you'll be vomiting in less than a minute.

Q. Why does my mouth water before I vomit?

A. For most people, hypersalivation is their signal that vomiting is imminent, and that's useful. The two most common theories are (1) the saliva is useful in coating the teeth to protect them from the acidity of vomit; and (2) the salivation center in the brain is right next to the vomiting center, and the salivation center gets "cross-talk" from the vomiting center being excited, kind of the way adjacent teeth seem to hurt when you've got a toothache.

To learn more about emetophobia, see

Oh thanks so much! I'm new and I neglected to do the research. That's very informative.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

that saliva thing everyone talks about has never happened to me, even
    though i'm pretty sure i've been really close to v* (like dry heaving and
    feeling it in my throat and stuff)... does it happen to everyone?

I usually know...but there have been 2 times when I had no clue.

*may be graphic to some people*

(i guess)

Once when I had a sv* and woke up in the middle of the night...I was sitting on the toilet. *shudders* I was partially asleep but I didn't even realize I was s*...I just felt like if I could burp I'd feel better.

The second time when I was pregnant and I was driving down the road. I mean, I had been v* for weeks before this incident (with morning sickness) and this time I had no clue!

Usually when I get that mouth watering feeling...I go to the bathroom and do it. Just to feel better. Also to control when it happens. I couldn't imagine laying there waiting, trying to stop it. That's if I already know it's going to happen...I don't do this whenever I feel n*...I have to really feel horrible. Edited by: laylamommy