Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Birth Control

Sorry to all the regulars that I'm kind of a spastic poster on here. As far as emetophobia goes I'm not completely anal about other people throwing up, most of my fear comes from me catching something from them. My biggest fear though is me throwing up myself. Scares the living daylights out of me, and it's really annoying, but I guess everyone on here can relate right? Anyway, I usually come on with a question whenever this thing comes into my life in a big way.

I was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I caught it really early so I haven't had some of the more unpleasant symptoms it brings with it, and won't if I start treatment. Unfortunately the treatment is birth control, and apparently one of the major side effects is nausea and vomiting. I have to take it but I'm seriously afraid... does anyone on here have experience with the pill? What did it do? Is this seriously something to worry about or is it like most side effects warnings where it rarely happens?

Thanks for the support!

Do you have to take it orally, or could you use the ring, which isn't as likely to cause n* and v*?

Orally unfortunately.

Then I don't have any advice, because I've only ever tried the ring, but I'm sure someone will chime in who knows! Good luck - and I'm glad you caught it early.

Hiya,

Ive tried loads of different types of the oral pill, and I never had any n* or v* with any of them. I just didnt think they were really any good at controlling my symptoms so I got fed up in the end and went on the depo injection which is an absolute dream!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Ive had friends that have had headaches on the oral pill, and also friends that have gained weight or had major mood swings, but nothing more.

Try not to worry hun, if you take one that you think makes you feel poorly, just try another one!! There are so many!! Explain your worries about n* to your doctor, maybe there is one that helps specifically.

Hope that helps you a little xxxx

and PS.....dont be sorry!! You are not a spastic poster!! lol. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] You can post as much as you want or as little as you want, whenever you want!! lol xxx

Hey mx!

I've been on the pill for about 3 years now, and I get n* during the transition between the active pills and inactive pills (i.e. when I take the week off it every month to get my period), but that's really the only time it happens! And that might just be my body preparing for the period so it might not be specifically to do with the pill. Also if you're taking it for your condition, you might not even have to take the weeks off to get your period (I'm not sure if that's right, but I'm sure you'd know!) so this might not even affect you.

What you should be more concerned about is the moodiness, trust me it's horrible! But in terms of v* It's never caused me to get s* so don't worry, you'll be fine! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

nausea and vomiting are always listed as possible side effects of all medication.

I have been on the pill and when I first started them I had slight nausea but if I ate before I took them then I was usually ok. I have never gotten sick from taking the pill.

I would give them a try to see how it goes. I am sure you will be fine. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]