Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: IBS

I've been seeing doctors about chronic stomach problems, and most recently the doctor said that if they don't find anything wrong when they do an endoscopy (which has been on hold due to insurance problems) then it is most likely IBS.

Reading around I've noticed that many others here have IBS. I'm wondering if maybe IBS is common among emets? Could it possibly be caused by the anxiety and stress from the phobia?

Also, what's it like having IBS? Do medications offer any relief? For months now I've been experiencing daily n*, pain, etc, and I'm really getting tired of it. Is there any relief out there??
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Hi, I have IBS with constipation only. I have tried everything, but don't like using laxatives because they mess up your colon function. Now I use Miralax almost daily. I have had a colonoscopy and it was fine. There are meds for IBS that you can talk to your doc about, but some side effects can be n* etc. And stress definitely affects your symptoms. Good luck,,,

I have struggled with IBS on and off for about 10 years. I have found that mine is definately worse in times of stress/anxiety and is worse when my emet is worse. I think that you will find there are times when it is worse than others-I definately think that it is directly related to stress/anxiety. A lot of different things can help-mine is mostly d*/lower digestive-there are lots of variations. Yoga, daily exercise, good diet, a probiotic supplement (I recommend Primal Defense), identifying possible food triggers and avoiding them, anything that helps relieve stress, immodium works wonders for me when the d* is bad, also, this may sound strange but the more attention/thought/ power that you give it, the worse it seems to get. I have learned to somewhat ignore it and go on with my daily life and not let it stop me. The bottom line is that there are MANY things that you can do to help/alleviate your symptoms without having to really take medication. Good Luck, it can and WILL get better.
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

I think I have it...but I don't know. I described my symptoms to my doctor and his response was "I can't prescribe you a pill for every little thing". I wasn't asking for any medication btw, I just wanted his opinion/advice. Umm...I haven't mentioned it since then to him.

I have found that eating to early in the morning (especially when I'm hungry...and especially anything sweet), and whole grain products make it worse.

I've learned that if I wake up really, really hungry not to eat until the hunger goes away. (weird, I know)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by laylamommy
    I've learned that if I wake up really, really
    hungry not to eat until the hunger goes away. (weird, I know)
    i totally know what you're talking about! sometimes i wake up with
    these horrible hunger pangs and i have to wait for them to subside
    because if i eat, if makes me feel worse.

Hi Wachydeli,

There are many many things out there that can help IBS. It does take some time and effort though to figure out what works for you. I have had IBS for most of my life. Mine tends towards D*. I am currently taking Amitriptylene (sp) and it has really helped to "relax" my gut. There are many medications that your Dr. could talk to you about.

Another thing that is very very important is diet. I recommend you check out the below websites and learn about diet do's and don'ts. It's very helpful to educate yourself.

Also, there are things like hypnosis or Cognative Behavior Therapy that could help certain people. Also exercise and relaxation techniques can help a lot. Stress definitely plays a roll.

Good Luck and feel free to send me a private message if you have questions. I have done a lot of research over the years

http://www.helpforibs.com/
    http://www.ibsgroup.org/
    http://www.aboutibs.org/

Thank you so much to everyone. If I have IBS, it's hard to explain any exact symptoms. Sometimes it's n*, sometimes it's bowel movements (I'll have to go to the bathroom a lot in a short period of time, not d*), sometimes it's just random pains all over.

I'm really sure it's related to stress, though. Not just from the emet but from life in general, and I deal with it by feeling sick physically, if that makes sense. I think instead of seeing stomach doctors from now on I'm going to try out some counseling.

If I can get the courage to do so.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.