Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all,
    Just after a little advice really, When my son was 4 years old i started him at school, i got a little scared because of the sv's going around and pulled him out of school for a few months, i was going to home tutor him as it is something i have always wanted to do anyway but i got so upset with people pointing the finger at me for being a bad mum so i put him back in school.. He has now been at school for 7 months and i just cant deal with it any more for a number of reasons. firstly he has had 8 colds in the 7 months of him being there as people keep on takin their ill children to school, and now they have a couple of cases of swine flu and lots of sv's going around, luckily he is at home at the minute as he has a cold but i really dont want to send him back...
    He has very good social skills and we do a lot of activities in and out of home as well as extra school work.. I really would like to home school him till he is at the age for high school but people are so horrible to me, and tell me im not doing the job of a good mother if i take him out of school.
    I understand it is the NORMAL thing to take your child to school, but i love the close relationship we have, and i hate the fact that 1 person(teacher) that i dont even know has control over a class or 20+ pupils and we entrust our children with them..
    Maybe i am a bad mum i dont know, but i want the best for my kids, and i also dont want to risk them getting swine flu or an sv...
    I know kids are gonna get ill from time to time but schools are just ridiculous for hygeine and some of the mums just bring their kids in ill.. it makes me so mad..
    Anyway enough of my ranting, any advice is much appreciated.. xx
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

I totally understand. I do homeschool my boys, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. When they were little, it was easy, but now they're getting into middle school (next year) and that may change things, it's difficult stuff! You are not a bad mom for considering it, the opposite is true, because it will take such dedication from you to do this and not get too frustrated, as I feel is happening with me right now. But I have to tell you, because my kids are heavily involved in our homeschool group in our town, they get just as many exposures to other kids' illness as if they were in school. My son did two years of public school, and there was no difference in sick time. I guess if we didn't have activities we wouldn't get sick but then my kids would hate me and they'd be unable to function in social situations. I do love being around my boys every day, but I can also see having them in public school at some point. This is my fifth year homeschooling. I will say too, that I have the same trouble with other homeschooling moms bringing their kids sick somewhere. I think that being interested in homeschooling is great, but you have to know that it may not cut down on illness, so I want you to know that while in my opinion, homeschooling has worked out so wonderfully, we deal with plenty of crud. I understand the frustration, it makes me mad when we go to a function, and the kid says he'd v* the night before! It happens a lot.
    JANNA

whats most important is what you think not what others think of you. just as a word of caution from a son who came from an overprotective mom, you've got to let them free some time! I'd say go for it on the home schooling but only for the right reasons. If its purely because of your phobia, then you're letting that control your life and your sons and thats not fair to either of you. I fully agree with Janna that homeschooling in no way makes you a bad mother. My suggestion, just based on what I'd want if I were in that situation, when he gets a little older (like 9-12) ask him what he wants... by then he will probably have enough friends in public school and in his homeschool group to be able to make an informed decision.

I am studying to become a teacher (will be certified this year) and have lots of experience working with kids in the classroom. My class this year is a grade 1 class, so if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way.

One thing I feel like I should say is that its VERY common for kids to get sick (colds, flu's etc) while at school. They need to build up their immune systems - each year you should notice your child getting sicker less and less as his immune system grows stronger.

Also, teachers are trained to help kids grow and learn. Most of us value education and personal growth very much - otherwise we would not be in this profession. No one does this for the money - teachers do not make enough for the amount of work they do, it is the everyday reward of seeing a child "get it" that keeps us going. Please don't think that you can't trust a teacher to help your child learn and grow. It's our favourite thing to do!

Of course, it is your choice. I know some people believe in homeschooling - I don't, and that's okay. I think children get MUCH more out of the social aspect of schooling that they would not get at home - interacting with all different types of people.

feel free to ask any questions!Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh