Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Well i never...

Hello there,

I recently realised that my fear of the being sick was actually a common phobia... I thjought I was just being afeak [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I have just spent the last few hours reading through this site and few others and and amazed by how many people it affects.

Also I notice this Phobia seems to affect more women than men... Well I am the minority and I am a bloke. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

FrankieEdited by: frankie

Hello. Welcome to the community.

Hm...it actually does seem to affect females more. I wonder why that is.

A lot of us thought we were freaks before we found out about this site. But, IES showed us that we are not. Go IES!!!!

So, have a pleasant time posting, getting support, and getting to know people better.

LiZZy

heya., welcome to our family mate =)

nice to have a few males around here too for sure!

i love reading how people express their surprise to do with them realising the amount of people that go thru this phobia. every single new person tht comes to us, always says the same " i always just thort i was a freak" or smthing lke that..... is quite sad really =(

anyway, enough from me! hope to see u around soon.

Jen xxxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks for your welcome...

The most difficult thing I have with this phobia is trying to explain itto friends and family. Everyone says that no one likes being sick and its natural... but then I explain thatI will do anything and everything in my power not to be ill. I have even gone for 3 hour drives to get my mind of it... I must admit I seem to have got a bit better recently after learning some breathing technics. I also find that listening to Classical music helps me.

I am a 28 year old guy that has a good healthy social life but I find that the phoebia holds meback from doing things that in fact i would like to do.

Damn you phobia [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Edited by: frankie

Frankie, I'm a 28-year-old otherwise healthy guy apart from the phobia that's prone to 3-hour drives to take my mind off it too, so you're not alone.

Am not civilised enough to listen to classical music though so I bow to you on that one.

Frankie,Welcome to the site,Like Jennah says it's nice to have some more males around....I hope u find this site as helpful as i have done as in the last few months,i originally came to this site at my wit ends....After being agoraphobic for 3yrs and had not made any progress with any treatment that i tried....I eventually joined here and talked here about medication,i found an anti-depressant that didn't have the side affect that we dread.....And from there took the tablet and 5mths down the line,I'm getting out on a daily basis and I'm sooooo much happier......And i feel that if i had never come to this site,i wouldn't be in the position i am now ,as every doctor i spoke to about meds,said there wasn't a tablet that didn't have the side affect......so what I'm trying to say is even the most smallest thing u do,by speaking to another fellow emet can change your life around......Happy posting and look forward to hearing how u get on......Where abouts in the UK are u? I'm in plymouth....It would be nice if we could all meet up one day...I know Izzy talked about London but for me coming from a city thats so small ,London is a bit over whelming for me.....

take care vicky xx

I've been to Plymouth quite a few times. Nice place but we're not that bad in London y'know!

Hi Frankie!

Welcome to the Emet family! Its nice to have another male who understands the problem around here! John - the founder of this site is also a sufferer and as his name suggests he's male too. there are a few of them around - but you have to sift through all the flowers and skirts and fluffy pinkness first! Heehee!

How long have you known that you were emet? I'm 22 and started doing emet behaviour about the age of 6. I only fully aknowledged my fear three or four years ago.

I too find my fear stops me from doing things I would like to do - am determined to do all that I want at somepoint - even if it means scuba diving when I'm 80!! heehee! I have managed to do a skydive[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]in NZ - well proud of that feat!!

hope you find this site as friendly and as helpful as the rest of us.

Keep us informed on your progress! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Edited by: chloe
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

What a great bunch of people you are... a nice warm welcome

trickyvicky: I live and work in <st1:City><st1lace>London</st1lace></st1:City> and have done so all my life.

Callum: I have very diverse musical taste, ranging from Classical to Rock to RnB but I find the Classical just takes me to another place when I really need it. I honestly never thought that as I was out on a <st1:time Hour="0" Minute="0">midnight</st1:time> drive that anyone else would be doing the same...

chloe: I have only known of the existence of the Phobia for a few days... I have been to the doctors before when I have needed antibiotics and told them that I couldn’t take anything that would make me feel nauseas. I am surprised that they never mentioned it then.

Cheers everyone [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

WELCOME [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    We are happy to have you and really happy to see another guy. I think that the more the word gets around and the more people know you will find that there are just as many men out there that are suffering with it as well.
    I think what happens is men don't tend to pay attention to their feelings and express themselves. THey will ignore even the most obvious things so they don't look into sites like this.
    I am not sure if that makes any sense but maybe someone gets what I am saying.
    ANyways we are pleased you have joined us.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Melikasa
    WELCOME [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    We are happy to have you and really happy to see another guy. I think that the more the word gets around and the more people know you will find that there are just as many men out there that are suffering with it as well.
    I think what happens is men don't tend to pay attention to their feelings and express themselves. THey will ignore even the most obvious things so they don't look into sites like this.
    I am not sure if that makes any sense but maybe someone gets what I am saying.
    ANyways we are pleased you have joined us.

Hi ya.... Yep that makes sense to me... I have been to the doctors twice in 5 years. I think it is a bloke thing.

I have a theory that women are more likely than men to have a phobia of ANY type. I think it's because, in general, the softer gender tends to be more sensitive.

But, sensitive men RULE! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfreak

I have a theory that women are more likely than men to have a phobia of ANY type. I think it's because, in general, the softer gender tends to be more sensitive.

But, sensitive men RULE! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Well having hormones mess up your brain once a month doesnt help to much either! Of course then that doesnt make since becuase mine started when I was 3.... ~ponders the question~
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

WELCOME!
    Welcome to our family. Its always so nice to have a new member. I hope you find the support and help you need to conqour this phobia. I am always here if you need to talk. :-)
    Hope to see you around the fourn!

Welcome to the site!!! I'm the resident avatar finder here, you want one? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Welcome Frankie, my name is Miriam and I've had this
    horrible phobia for 25 years (I am 29 and I have had it since I was 4)
    I thought I was the only one with it too. I'm happy to see I am wrong
    on that, thats for sure lol. I am married with 2 kids, which are very
    young and havent been sick yet but its going to happen Anyway yeah
    there are some males here and its true it does affect women more for
    some reason. Not sure why. Anyway I'm around if you would like to chat
    sometime. Take care

Miriam

</font>

Quote Originally Posted by x hannah x
    Welcome to the site!!! I'm the resident avatar finder here, you want one? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

yes please.....

Quote Originally Posted by mbs730
    Welcome Frankie, my name is Miriam and I've had this horrible phobia for 25 years (I am 29 and I have had it since I was 4) I thought I was the only one with it too. I'm happy to see I am wrong on that, thats for sure lol. I am married with 2 kids, which are very young and havent been sick yet but its going to happen Anyway yeah there are some males here and its true it does affect women more for some reason. Not sure why. Anyway I'm around if you would like to chat sometime. Take care

Miriam

Hello Miriam,

I wish I could put a finger on When and How this Phobia started for me. I think I must have always had it to some degree or another.

Hello Frankie,

Well I just wanted to welcome u to the forum!I'm sureu will find great support and advice here.

I'm Rachel, i'm 17 years old, and i think my emet started when I was about 8. Many close relatives died within a short space of time around this age, which I feel has contributed to the phobia. Currently i have it under control and am in my sencond year of 6th form and then will be off to Uni next year!

Hope to see u posting soon!

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

Hi frankie - welcome to IES. Its amazing to know that you are not alone with this phobia and its amazing to see how similar we all are. I'lm glad you are having a good time reading through some posts.

Hope to see u posting soon

Iz