Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Any guys out there going to uni in september?

I will! I'm so nervous emet-wise but am quite excited about being out in the world by myself for the first time!
    I want to go to Leeds university but I need to get BBB to get there! My 2nd choice is Leicester, which has asked for BCC!

I am going to study Modern Languages...
    Spanish, Italian & PortugueseEdited by: party_boi3423
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am starting at a university in September and living on campus in a dorm with one/two roomate(s) and four suitemates. I'm really nervous about how emet will affect living with them, but at overnight orientation, I practiced talking to people about it and told the four girls who stayed in the dorm with me, even though we were only going to be together one night. Most people are very understanding, and most people that I've run into don't party very hard (but I'm going into a nerdy college so... XD)

i just finished my 3rd year at college, and my first year living on
    campus. i loved being away from home, although my emet got the
    best of me at times.

i want to say that i did tell my suitemates and roommate almost
    immediately about my phobia. they seemed understanding, but when
    it comes down to it, they really don't understand that they can't talk
    about v* in front of you and they don't really understand that you'll
    panic if they v* while drunk in front of you.

there were a few drunken v* incidents in my suite throughout the
    year, but no sv*s THANK GOODNESS. i even cleaned up my
    suitemate's v* once because everyone else was drunk too and kept
    saying "ew" and kept running away, so it never would have gotten
    cleaned up. i can handle that because i know i won't catch anything
    from it (myself v*ing is my biggest fear).

whenever i was feeling bad, i would "camp out" in the living room on
    the couch with my portable dvd player and a cold rag on my head, so
    no one would bother me and i could concentrate on feeling better. that really helped.

the truth is, you will probably encounter a lot of alcohol-related v*,
    but not many 20-year-olds get sv*s. just wash your hands, and keep
    clorox and lysol and hand sanitizers handy.

as far as eating went, i mostly ate cereals and bagels and grilled
    cheeses and some fruits and things like that... there was never any
    incident of fp* on our campus at any point during this year either,
    which was definitely a relief. oh, and i kept comfort foods in my room
    (like saltines and pretzels and ginger ale) just in case i was feeling
    bad and unable to leave my room.

i just want to add that there are always people around and you'll be
    having such a great time and your mind will be so occupied about
    99.9% of the day between classes and roommates and doing laundry
    and learning to take care of yourself and so on. to be honest, i
    almost didn't go because of emet, but i knew i would have regretted
    it forever had i let this stupid phobia get in the way. going away to
    school was definitely the best decision i ever made. good luck, and
    feel free to pm me!

Good choice of study; I'm also studying Italian, and English [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I don't live at my University but I've heard plenty of stories from people who do. Basically, there's a lot of partying with alcohol (even though our campus is supposed to be a "dry campus" with no alcohol allowed) and with that comes v*.

If you're OK with it not being a sv, then you'll be all right. But if you're like me and are scared to see, hear, be near v* no matter what the circumstance, then you'll have to decide whether or not you'll let it hold you back. I know I would never want to live on campus for that exact reason. I absolutely hate drinking with a passion, I don't want to pay extra money to live with a bunch of drunken college kids who don't care where they v*.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I am and im 50% excited and the other 50% is fear

I'm off to uni in September, I hope...

First choice is East Anglia, BBB, and second choice is a much more likely BCD for Bath Spa.

I want to do an English Lit course. Its a better course at UEA, but Bath is prettier, so theres good sides to both.

I'm terrified, but I'm really looking forward to getting out of the house and meeting so many new people.

so i have a question, what are these BBB and BCD type things in the
    UK?

They are the minimum required grades hun. So they know that they cant get below a certain grade in a certain subject if they wanna get in to the uni of their choice. xxx

oohh, thanks ally! which subjects??

Yeah For example,
    My subjects at the moment are Spanish, Maths and ICT.
    BBB means I need to obtain

Spanish - Grade B
    Maths - Grade B
    ICT - Grade B

Nearly there though - only 2 more exams left and then I AM FREE FOR THE SUMMER!!

ISAIAH 41:10

so it depends on what you're studying??

i have just finsihed my 1st year at uni this yr, and i am studying in leicester!
    when i came to uni i didnt want to live in halls of resident cuz of the worry of ppl being ill, so i live with my bf in a flat here, but from talking to some of my friends who live in halls, its no where near as bad as we think it would be! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by prncesspnk
    so it depends on what you're studying??
    It depends on the university you want to go to hun. Some uni's require higher or lower grades than others. So if you apply to a certain university and tell them what youre studying, they then tell you what grades you need to obtain to get a place at their uni. All universitys are probably a little different in what they require depending on thier reputation for the corses they are hosting. xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by party_boi3423
    Yeah For example,
    My subjects at the moment are Spanish, Maths and ICT.
    BBB means I need to obtain

Spanish - Grade B
    Maths - Grade B
    ICT - Grade B

Nearly there though - only 2 more exams left and then I AM FREE FOR THE SUMMER!!
    Good luck hunni!! Fingers and toes crossed for ya!! Let us know how you get on and stuff xxxx [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I just finished my B.S. degree. I lived in the dorms my first two years, and I was mostly anxiety free. Fortunately I only had one roommate who was a big drinker, and after one unpleasant v* incident (which I am SO THANKFUL that I was spending the night at a friend's apartment that night) she definitely started cutting back.

There were a few nights where I slept on the couch in the common room because she came back drunk and I was worried she was going to v* in the night, but as far as I know it only happened once. I lucked out on not being there when it happened.

The funny thing is that one of our other roommates actually called me while it was happening. Like she wanted me to come back and help her clean it or something. I felt bad but there was NO WAY I was going back to the dorm that night. In fact I think I camped out at my friend's place the rest of that weekend.

Hey,

I've just finished a four year degree - I was studying law at the University of Nottingham, although I spent one of those years on exchange abroad.

I can remember being really worried for the couple of years leading up to uni as to whether I'd be OK to go. I worried I'd get panic attacks and have to come home; I was terrified of living away from home. But in the end, I've absolutely loved every minute of uni pretty much. There's so much to do: new classes, new friends, societies, parties etc that it takes your mind of things right from the start. You'll have an absolute blast, I'm sure!

I was lucky and the people I lived with when I moved out of halls were really understanding about the phobia. There are some great people at uni, and people will make an effort to understand. I couldn't have hoped for better friends. One night I got a panic attack two minutes before we were supposed to go out clubbing; my friend stayed with me and gave up her night out to stay at home with me. You'll meet great people too, people who'll understand and who'll make it easier when you have bad days.