Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

How many of you have gone off certain foods because you've v* or felt very n* having eaten them?

**Slightly graphic bits to follow**

I'm having that problem now! Last Thursday night was hellish.. I got alcohol poisoning/drink spiked (v.stupid person that I am)and was predominately unconscious apart from remembering certain points of consciousness. One of those points was being on a stretcher on the way into the ambulance and dry retching.

I must have been completely spaced out because I knew I felt the sickest I've felt in many years and I didn't even have the energy/alertness to have a panic attack. I remember violently retching and even hoping something would come out because I felt so ill. As I'd not eaten for 7 hours, nothing came out and I just ended up with saliva running down my face (a darkly comic side-effect of it all, in hindsight). But my did I feel better afterwards! All I can remember was hearing my friend explain to the paramedics that I had a phobia of v* and they replied that it would be better if I were sick!

*** (Graphic-ness over)

However I knew that I'd eaten some cheap Tesco sushi as my last meal earlier that evening. It had nothing to do with my feeling so ill, but as it was the last thing I ate, it means I can't think about it without feeling really sick.

I've not had this for a while as I hadn't dry heaved for nearly 11 years and I haven't v*ed for nearly 14 years. But I'm annoyed because I really like(d) sushi and I want to get back onto it!

How long has it taken others to get back onto foods they've been inadvertently put off by? I think the last one was a form of soup which I didn't eat till 7 years after the event, but I don't fancy waiting 7 years to eat sushi again :-(.

**TOUCH WOOD I should still cross the 14 year v* free barrier in three weeks time!!

I got s* from Twix candy bars when i was little, im not sure what age. They were peanut butter and chocolate. For at least 10 years i couldnt touch anything that was chocoalte with peanut butter. i could eat each seperately but not together. also got s* after eating tuna fish, dont think i will EVER want that s*** again. lol. there are a few others too i wont eat, spagetti-o's, certain mac & chesses...and thats all i can think of right now.

Oh yeah, just think that it wasnt the actual sushi that caused you to be ill...it was the drinks. it sucks to give up a food you love to eat

omg, lol. Yeah there are soo many foods that i wont eat, peaches (the sight ,smell and taste in ANY food makes me n*), i cant eat hot chips(i got d* from it),i cant mix certain foods, and i only eat twice a day and each meal has to be spaced out by 6 hours each. I dont eat chocalate, i dont eat certain things at certain times of the day.. the list goes on, and i havent eaten any of these things in over 4 yrs, now.So im not sure how long it will take you i still havent been able to eat foods that are so delicious either.Just try when you feel ready, it can be anytime that you may be able to. OH and congrats on you "being v* free" anniversery!Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

I'm pretty sure I've gone back to eating everything that I've ever v* from ... spaghetti (which is now my favorite), broccoli rabe, rice, doughnuts. The only exception would be Twinkies, but they're so unhealthy anyway.

About a year ago I ate some sushi even though I was feeling kind of funny. It was one of those hunger/nausea feelings, so I figured let me ignore it and just eat. Bad idea. I didn't v* but felt like I came so close to it that it just has been very hard for me to even think about eating sushi again.

Which is very unfortunate because I also used to like it a lot.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Hi hun,

I know exactly what you mean!! From when i was little, I cut out EVERYTGING Id eaten that day I v*!! But nowadays, I eat everything again!! Some things took me longer to try again than others, but I eat it all!! The only thing I cant eat is pork, but I have tried it again, I just really really dont like it!! lol [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

So I totally know where your coming from!! At the moment, the drink spiking is still far too freah in your mind to even contemplate eating sushi!! Thats perfectly natural, even non-emets can get like that!! Just give it some time, and Im sure you will find yourself craving sushi again one day in the not too distant future!!

(((hugs))) xxx

The only time I gave anything up was when I had a very, very, very bad experience drinking FIREWATER (cinammon flavored schnapps)...

took me 5 years to be able to even chew cinammon gum or eat cinammon mints - LOL. And that was self-inflicted.

OH and I did avoid having broccoli-cheese soup for a little while after I had a stomach flu but it wasn't ever the soups fault!!! In fact, I had heated the soup up to eat it and took only one bite because I was feeling ill that afternoon but that's the thing I remembered -- funny how our minds play those types of tricks on us...

I think it's actually pretty common to go off certain foods if you've v*ed after eating them. Several people I know who are non-emets have told me that it's taken them years, if at all, to eat such foods again.

I think it's probably an evolutionary thing. Back when humans weren't so bright, and didn't know what foods were good and which were bad, if eating something (like those yummy-looking red berries) made one v*, then the body would mark that kind of food as "bad" and would provoke feelings of disgust to prevent the person from eating it again.

Trouble is that now even if we v* after eating "good" foods, the body still kicks in and marks it as a "bad" food. When I was 8, I was ill after eating cheese and peanut-butter on toast, one of my favourite foods. I've never eaten it since!

for me its no sausage (only like jimmy dean breakfast sausage), no
    american cheese(other kinds are fine), no snicker doodles (bad bad experience, no papa johns pizza (worse worse experience),and no lime
    kool aid. ya and the list goes on.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

I also have certain foods I can't eat including baked beans, bananas and lamb.