Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted about this yet. Is anyone else panicking about this like I am?

Yesterday I purchased a tuna sandwich at school and it had tomato slices on it. Later that evening I went to a barbecue and ate a bunch of tortilla chips dipped in a fresh homemade salsa. I haven't been able to stop worrying since. I've eaten today but my stomach has been in a strange state of hunger/nausea (haven't been able to distinguish between the two) all day.

Anyone know any details about it? How soon symptoms start to develop? Could I be at risk?

[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

You beat me to the punch,lol. (i was in the middle of writing about it too, i am in a state of fear as well.)Well, Symptoms start 12 - 72 hrs. after you ingest the virus . Depending on what type of tomatos they were, you could be free of worry or not. If the tomatos were grape tomatos , home grown tomatos , tomatos with the vine still attached, then youll be fine. There are also certain tomatos in certain states that they are still safe to eat.here is a link:**& nbsp;* http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...ng/news/200806 10/salmonella-tomato-warning-expanded?ecd=wnl_nal_060908
    Hopefully it'll help. today I went to this restaurant and it had a little piece of tomato (no bigger than a bean) and i freaked out in my head. It on i of my 4 tacos, and another taco had a tomato seed on it. I didnt eat either of the two tacos but im still freaking out because im scared it might of spread the virus on to the rest of the tacos i did eat. And on top of that , my mother and sister both ate the guacamole that they had there and im scared they'll get sick.(and like EVERYONE around had tomatos on their plates and eating it in sauces and stuff too)So im like " counting" down 'till it happens. So your not alone. I hope that the link will help answer some questions.Also sometimes you get so hungry that you feel nauses as well. Just try drink sips of water. If anyone else has any info on it hopefully they'll post.Keep us updated , if your okay. Hope you will. Good luck.Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

I can't imagine the tomato slices on my sandwich were from any of the "safe" tomatoes. They definitely seemed like the round tomatoes that most likely didn't still have the vines attached. Even though my state isn't one of the states that reported the outbreaks, and only one of the states is even sort of close to mine, I'm still freaked. It's been a little over 24 hours, I'm really hoping I'm OK.

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

yea, what's going on??!! i heard about it tonight when i went to my
    favorite diner. i totally didn't believe it because i had been on here all
    day and hadn't heard anything about it, lol. my boyfriend was shocked
    that he knew before me, haha.

Yes!!! I have been freaking out about this too!!!! I live in Texas, one of the "at risk" states, and I think one of the first states to have a case of the poisoning, so ever since I heard about it, I've been weary of eating tomatoes. Supposedly McDonalds has stopped using Tomatoes, and the Kroger's around here have stopped selling certain types of tomatoes...I really hope this blows over and soon!!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here in New Jersey a lot of restaurants have stopped using tomatoes. McDonald's, and a sandwich place called Panera, that I know of. I think this whole thing sucks though because I love tomatoes!

A friend of mine owns a Mexican restaurant and she had to use canned tomatoes to make her salsa instead of fresh ones.

I hope this outbreak clears up quick and they find the source of it. Until then, I've been using cherry tomatoes in my salads and tomatoes on the vine, which are more expensive but deemed ok to eat by the FDA, with everything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook

I heard the grape, cherry, and vine tomatoes are not at risk, but right now I am holding off on any tomatoes. Check the news links for more info...

I never eat raw tomatoes...so I'm not worried for me.

It does freak me out slightly that our food sources can be so easily contaminated.

I think its crazy that tomatoes are even contaminated now! Its pretty frightening for you guys. I am allergic so I wuldnt be eating them anyway, but good grief.....whats next!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

WOw i live in uk and never HEARD about this! Whats going on?

This afternoon I went to the garden center and bought organic tomato plants, organic hot pepper plants and organic cucumber plants.

I know anything I grow won't have salmonella or other contaminates.

Friend me on Facebook

I am not in USA, but I just wanted to say that I never ever eat any raw vegetables or fruit. I don't even like the taste of most of them, so..
    You only live once

Is it wrong that my friend and i discussed this for 5 mins and it made me want tomatoes so I went and got some? haha I live in the uk though.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

As of today, most of the tomatoes are cleared to eat. Tomatoes from Mexico and Florida are still off limits but most grocery stores I've been to have signs up saying their tomatoes aren't from there.

Also, cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and tomatoes on the vine have always been ok to eat.

Friend me on Facebook

Thank goodness. I love tomatoes, I'm the only person I know who doesn't pick off the tomatoes in their sandwiches when I go out to eat, haha.

I'm from the U.K, so I haven't heard about it. Hope it doesn't end up here too.