Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you avoid having kids?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes definatly

40 28.78%
  • No I would suffer through

61 43.88%
  • I cant have kids anyway

3 2.16%
  • Maybe, Maybe not...

35 25.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you or have you avoided having kids because of your emetophobia? I don't want to have them because I just don't think I could cope with it.

I always said "no way"! No kids for me...if they got sick I'd probably throw them outside or something. AND I was dead serious.

Until I got preggers...then I knew it was worth it and that if I had to I could hande it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I didn't vote because my option wouldn't be 'I'd suffer through' it's more like...I really want kids, I hope I get lucky enough to have one, and I'll just have to kick this fear in it's ass... haha
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Growing up I always thought there was no way I could ever have kids, they're always s*! But in more recent years I've begun to realize that I would love to have children, and I'm hoping that my love for them will be a million times stronger than this stupid phobia will ever be!
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I think, that if I find someone I love and they understand and support me, and vice versa. Then, and only then - I would have children. I don't think I could ever be a single parent, or live with a clueless partner. I'm think I'm more afraid I would unknowingly teach my children to be a nutcase like me, actually.

I don't have any at this point and when my emets misbehaving I think "God, I could never have children!" but when I'm not having a "moment" or I see people with kids I think "I can do this!" I really dont want emet to stop me, always I say "will I regret not doing this" and children are something I'd regret not having just because of emet. The fact that I've no one to have them w/ makes it easier right now lol but I am determined to be a Mom someday, whether biologically or adopted.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

For one thing, my husband would never forgive me if I decided I couldn't have kids - and neither would I, because we both want them so much! I'm going to either be better by then or just suffer through.

When I was younger I had a plan to adopt a 13-year-old, because growing up I was obsessed with this idea that only small children v* (since my own parents had never, ever been sick while I was young.)

But now I realize it doesn't matter whether you're a child or an adult, so I need to stop avoiding it and learn to deal.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I don't want kids. At least I think so now (I am 24). I am not sure if this is because of emet or ONLY because of it. I didn't want kids when I was a teenager though I wasn't that scared of v* back then. I simply can't imagine my life with kids.
    You only live once

Quote Originally Posted by lemonwackyhello
    I'm think I'm more afraid I would unknowingly teach my children to be a nutcase like me, actually.
    LOL EXACTLY the same problem here. But I desperately want kids; I'll just suffer through. Only in the last two months or so I've had this insane longing for children, nappies, painful labour, spilled food and all (but not v*). I think my parents are getting worried because all my sentences now seem to start with "But when I have kids..."[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]I need to act my age. My friends dragged me along to Sex and the City the other day and I can't stop talking about Charlotte's and the other one's (I don't know their names) babies ever since. My friends were just interested in the clothes and they think I'm weird.[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I think I would be too scared too now. but hope i will be able to in the future.

I always swore I'd never have kids because I was afraid of morning sickness, but I changed my mind when my sis had kids and i fell in love with them. When I did get pregnant, I wasn't really that scared, more excited. I didn't feel sick at all the first trimester, I think God knew I would not have been able to handle it, but the 2nd and 3rd trimesters were hard. I wasn't N a lot, just a constant low level upset stomach which made me panicky and it really sucked. I made it through the whole pregnancy and birth without V******* once! And I didn't take anything except ginger pills and used wristbands!

I am a mother so its silly for me to answer. I always wanted children and knew I wouldnt let my emet get in the way.

________
    Aging Advice
    Last edited by emetmama; 03-11-2011 at 01:04 PM.

I had always figured that having children would help me combat the phobia. Think about it... starting small with spit up, then as the kid gets bigger you hardly notice it... right? I mean I guess you have to have little to no problem with spit up, which it bothers me a little but not nearly to the extent as actually v*. We'll see, I guess.

Right now I want to steal my boss' kid and keep him at my house forever [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I am getting ready to get pregnant within the next year, and I am scared! I don't know what I would do without my supportive friends, and my fiance who is really understanding. I know I can do it.....I hope I can...
    [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I know right now im quite young to say, but it's something i do ponder about at times.Hopefully by the time i'm old enough to actually make that decision, i can make it because i want to or not want to , not because this phobia is telling what to decide, which would be a no.
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

I have one year old twin boys. All throughout pregnancy I just told myself I will never v* (like I always do, anyway) and I never did. Unfortunately, one of them has reflux... figures... I've been constantly spit up on for the first 3 months, never once had a panic attack. He still does it once a month or so and now it really resembles adult v*ing, but I'm ok with it. Weird thing, I still can't stand to see it happening to anyone else but my kids, not even on tv, so I'm far from cured. But I'm really afraid they would see me having a bad reaction to this and become emets themselves, so I guess this thought kinda stops me...

I don't want to have kids anyway. Never wanted.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I always always said I NEVER wanted any, and told my firends and family I just don't like kids (which isn't true but i just couldn't tell them the real reason - the emet) but since I met my fiance and i'm 35 i've changed my mind and as soon as we are married my pills will be going straight in the bin and I juts hope I haven't left it too late.

All the mums on here have really inspired me that your love for your child really does override your fear and you just have to deal with it when they are s* and also that you don't necessarily have to v* with morning s* - and if it did happen it would be too late by then and i've just have to get on with it and suffer.

I am trying to get pregnant right now!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

For as long as I can remember I have always claimed that I did not want kids. But now that I'm getting older I'm starting think that I actually do want kids, but I'm too scared to actually do it.

I'm afraid of morning sickness, but I'm also scared of being a bad mother. Of passing this fear onto my child or not being able to take care of them b/c I am too scared.

I put no i would suffer through it, i have 2 children and people are sometimes worried that children are s* ALL the time but there realy not my daughter is 3 and only had 1 SV a few weeks back.
    And i just want to say to anyone afraid of having children -
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS PHOBIA PUT YOU OFF HAVING CHILDREN, IT IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN TO YOU.. IF ANYONE WANTS HELP OR ADVICE ABOUT IT PLEASE PM ME XXX

I put no but I have 1 daughter now lol

I been thinking I would love to have another (I have 2 step kids that are almost grown). But I my emet has gotten a bit worse as I get older so I dont think I could do it again.

I have 3 children. If I could go back and do it over again I'd have more. Maybe 2 or 3 more. I love having kids.

The few times they've been sick and v* are nothing compared to the fun, rewarding parts of being a parent.
    Elizabeth

I'm with Mary- I'm doing my damnest to get pg again with the help of my doctor since my body doesn't seem to want to cooperate. My daughter is the love of my life, and to be honest I would rather have her vomit everyday than not have her in my life. She has only had one stomach virus in her 18.5 months of life, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was more concerned about her than I was anxious. It is completely different when it is your child, and I totally and completely agree with this:

The few times they've been sick and v* are nothing compared to the fun, rewarding parts of being a parent.

A kid is something I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED.

But...I don't think it would be fair if I have one and won't be able to hug it or kiss it without taking a shower afterwords or worrying about germs.

I hope so much I can calm my anxiety a bit before I am at that stage.

I would also worry when and if the kid will get sick since they do it without warning sometimes.And of course, the middle of the night illness will drive me nuts! (If I lose sleep it messes up my brain and increases anxiety)

I just don't want to be a nervous wreck and worry.I don't want my kid sensing that and thinking he/she did something wrong or isn't good enough for me to love on him/her.

It's to the point to where I cannot even touch my dogs anymore because other people touch them (I know I will regret not snuggling with them when they die and I for sure will kick myself in the ass because of this..I cannot even stand to think about it)

But...I think with some altering...it can work.

I just hope my kids dad isn't a pansy like me and can clean up v*! lol

I will also have hardwood floors for easy clean up no matter how much burden the cost will be.

I am also going to invest in a cot that the kid will have to lay on while in the bathroom while sick to prevent from spreading the illness/making clean up easier (and of course I will put a thick pad underneath, pillow blankie so he/she is comfy)

When I was sick with noro, I wish so bad that I had a cot for the bathroom lol I was so tired of getting sick, I didn't have the energy to walk back and forth.

Morning sickness is also something I worry about soooo much.My friend is preggo and just got over bad morning sickness..sick every day and ended up in the hospital twice.Even the anti emetics didn't help (her)

I hope they will help me if I feel ill.I have already looked up ever ms remedy possible!

I dream of having a baby ! I will suffer through or be over this fear by then

I've always thought that I don't really have the option of having children b/c of my phobia for three reasons: I would have problems from the moment of conceptio(morning sickness), kids scare me b/c they're always sick (I had a bad experience when my niece was 2),and I couldn't live with myself if my inability to care for my sick kid would result in it developing the phobia as well.
    How do those of you who have kids deal with it?
    \"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that\'s the essence of inhumanity.\"
    -George Bernard Shaw

I voted maybe/maybe not.

I went to the Dr. before I got pregnant to find out if there was a way to stop the morning sickness if I got it. She's the first one to prescribe promethazine for me. She also told me that during delivery, when ppl tend to v*, she would give me an anti-emetic then. The prometh always stopped my n* during the pregnancy and the reglan stopped it during the delivery. I didn't v* at all.

My fears didn't disappear when I had him, though, so I don't know if I'd ever do it again. If I did, I'd have to honestly believe that my husband really would be there for the child when he's ill because I can not. In fact, I wish I could have a stay at home husband. That would be grand

I don't want children because they vom alot. I want my
    ovaries taken out. I mean it. LOL