Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know this phobia can do damage to your body and I was wondering what are the health problem caused by it?

Well I have stopped eating completely. This has happened to me before and it caused me to get osteoporosis in my bones (I am only 20). If you are underweight you could have vitamin deficiancies and also your bones can be at risk. and if you are severely underweight then your heart can be at risk too.

Basically malnutrition I guess, as well as all the things that come of being underweight.

Yep, malnutrition, dehydration, problems with bones and the heart too.

Oh yea, plus vitamin deficiencies too and all the problems that can lead to.

This phobia is a flippin' nightmare!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

i believe you may also develop ulcers from starving yourself... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] i personally am also sleep deprived.Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

I think the constant anxiety can have detrimental effects on the heart and health (short- and long-term) in general, because when you're stressed by anything (physical/psychological, internal/external) your body's resources get used up trying to eliminate the stress hormones from the bloodstream and immune system function decreases....sorry to say it, I know it's terrifying... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Cracked, dry, bleeding hands from over washing.

--Kim

Quote Originally Posted by tink
    Cracked, dry, bleeding hands from over washing.

--Kim
    Same here.
    You only live once

I've been an emet since the age of eight. I remember graduating high school at 132lbs and being picked on by all the jocks since I was so skinny. No fun at all.

YOU WILL BECOME A WALKING SKELETON! PROMISE! I'M NOT KIDDING! I'VE TRIED IT. I WAS 10 YEARS OLD WHEN I STOPPED EATING, THEN IT HAPPENED TO ME [SKELETON FIGURE] WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD! IT ONLY TOOK A YEAR FOR ME TO LOOK LIKE THAT!
    BUT AFTER THAT I BECOME OBESE [HEHEHE] FOR ALMOST 4-5 YEARS BECAUSE [WHEN I WAS IN VACATION WITH MY AUNT] SHE FORCED ME TO EAT, WITH JUST [IM NOT SURE] MAYBE, 5-6 HOURS LAPSED! SO EVENTUALLY I WAS ABLE TO ADJUST. FROM THAT TIME, I JUST KEPT ON EATING! I FORGOT THAT ABOUT MY PAST [THAT I V*] BUT NOW, I'M BACK TO THAT KIND OF LIFE THAT I HAD BEFORE BUT NOT AS BAD AS BEFORE!
    friendship,
    elainne