Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: V***t scenes

I have bad news, fellow emetophobics.

Sadly, according to recent studies, virtually every modern American movie shows a scene in which there is v***t.
    [img]smileys/smilies_29.gif[/img]

WHEN WILL WE EVER ESCAPE?! STUPID MODERN MOVIES!!!
    [img]smileys/smilies_21.gif[/img]
    Don\'t worry, be HAPPY!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

it's disgusting, but fortunately v* scenes in films don't bother me at all. i
    just get grossed out, but my bf tells me that that is a non-emet
    response.

lucky [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Don\'t worry, be HAPPY!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is very annoying but thankfully it doesn't effect me as much as it can affect other people.

Hey, you guys should check out www.archive.org. It has a whole bunch of old movies you can download from days gone by, ones that are so old the copyright has expired (that's why it's legal) [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] They just don't show v* in old movies, which is fabulous! I watch lots from that site.

I do agree many new movies have parts like that in them, - I just have to get educated on the film before seeing it.

And stay far from reality TV like:
    Fear Factor
    H***!
    Jackass

...I could never list them all...
    And yes H***! is a new show on G4 that is 100% about people "losing what they ate," if you catch my drift. Don't look into it unless you want graphic descriptions, its worse that Jackass.

I know how you feel being angry. I can't watch v***t on TV. (At least the real stuff.)Edited by: teh folder

I suppose I'm lucky; I feel a bit panicky when it's really graphic (coughing lots and so on), but usually I'm okay. In fact, I'm thinking of compiling a v*-montage to try and cure myself (I know it won't really work), as I don't find it too scary! I read someone's story on this site and they found it helpful, so worth a try....

I have kind of a 6th sense for when it's coming, and fortunately my boyfriend has developed it as well, out of concern for me. If someone's on screen who's been drinking too much, something gross happens, etc, one of us is ready with the remote.

I hate when its SO SUDDEN that you can't predict it. I usually can't finish watching the show after that.

I've developed a sixth sense for it too, and if I think it is coming I watch through my fingers.

Oh god. Just happened to me. My bf was watching a skateboarding video and somebody v*. I am not too bad when its fake but I really find it hard when it's real. Oh well.

Hmm...I only go to kids movies. Usually they are safe. LOL

I do watch reality tv and they are notorius (sp?) for showing those scenes. Any time I see people drinking to much I get nervous and have my hand of the FF button. (bless you tivo!) I hate shows like Jackass, fear factor...stuff like that.Edited by: laylamommy

It usually only bothers me if its really graphic but either way, its interesting how "modern" movies do have more v but also more gore and blood and guts and sex and so on. I think being emets we focus on only the v but really, movies are getting SUCKY! In context then yes there's a place for pretty much anything but MAN the movies lately its like BAM someone gets blown up, BAM someone v, BAM someone's naked LMAO! I love old movies.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree with most peeps, it doesnt bother me if its fake (unless its really OTT), it only bothers me if its real. But it will only bother me for a minute or so unless im having a bad day!! If Im having a bad day, it will put me off my food for a good few hours!! I know its a natural bodily function and all, but I dont really wanna see pee or poop either and I dont have a phobia of pee or poop!! lol. [img]smileys/smilies_08.gif[/img]

I've been trying to post this to the film list, but I keep getting a script error. I made a post under site discussion about the script error, but I figured that since there's already a thread about v* scenes, I could copy/paste my submission here in the meantime!

Get Smart, while otherwise a quite wonderful movie, does have a v* scene. I closed my eyes so I don't know how graphic it was, but there's a scene near the end of the movie where Maxwell Smart is in an airplane (like a fighter jet, not a passenger plane) and he gets airsick. I was told by my boyfriend that it got really gross, so you'll probably want to close your eyes during that scene. You can't really hear anything, so closing your eyes should be sufficient.

Maybe it can be viewed as a good thing? The more one gets exposed to such thigns, and the less one avoids, the more comfortable you'll become with it. Avoidance is the #1 primary reason that fears turn into terrible phobias. Perhaps if you begin with viewing pictures such as those on my website (the link is totally safe)...and then progress to videos/film...then it just won't bother you any more and you can enjoy all the movies in the world!
    Take care everyone,
    SAGE
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

DARN IT! I REALLY WANTED TO SEE GET SMART, TOO! STUPID DIRECTORS! (sorry Sage, i'm not really following what you said, good advice though)
    Don\'t worry, be HAPPY!

Quote Originally Posted by speedie24/7
    DARN IT! I REALLY WANTED TO SEE GET SMART, TOO! STUPID DIRECTORS! (sorry Sage, i'm not really following what you said, good advice though)
    Oh no, please don't let that stop you from seeing it! It's really a great movie otherwise. You can tell it is coming from a mile away so you're not going to be surprised.

o, ok thnx. if that's the case, then i'll just cover my eyes and ears like i did when we watched Supersize Me! in health
    Don\'t worry, be HAPPY!

I wanna see Get Smart! I'm old enough to remember the original TV series and it was soooooo funny! Fast-forward about 40 years and the funniest thing on TV now is "The Office" with Steve Carrell. So....woo hoo! I can't wait to see the movie.

(I may close my eyes during the nasty bits, however. Depending on if I'm feeling like dealing with it that night or not!) I'll try to follow my own advice and not do that. All I really have to do is prepare myself by saying "you're not in any danger. There's nothing wrong with YOU" Then I just watch it or whatever and I'm totally ok. But closing my eyes is an option too...lol
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I've yet to figure out why Hollywood insist on v* scenes as entertainment. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Georgi

I want to see Get Smart, too! I am planning on watching the scene! I am seeing it as a positive exposure opportunity! We'll see if I can do it!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."