Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where does a person feel nausea? In the head? In the throat? In the stomach? I never remember it being in the stomach. It's in the whole body and the head it seems, maybe in the throat too. But then, I can't really remember it well..

How exactly does it feel?

i always wonder the same exact thing... i'm never sure if it's real or not.

For me, it all depends. About a month ago, I got real nausea due to ruptured cysts, and I knew it was real. But mine was in my stomach. And with the anxiety, its always in the stomach...sometimes get a funny feeling in my throat.

I feel mine mainly in the throat actually and sometimes in the stomach as well.

i guess i feel it in my head and my throat, and when i really feel as if
    i'm about to be s*, that's when i feel a brick in my stomach combined
    with the other two feelings. but it's just been so long since i've actually
    v*ed, and i just have no idea what real n* feels like...

I always thought it was in the stomach. That's where I always feel it. And sometimes in the throat, but I never really considered that to be nausea.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

And how perfect, I am now feeling very n*. I figure to help I'll explain exactly what I'm feeling.

In my stomach area (which is what I consider the area in the middle part of my lower rib cage) I feel a weird sensation that I can only describe as "wet." I feel like I have something wet in my stomach. But not water, I guess something thicker, like v*.

In my lower stomach, below my belly button, I have sort of gassy feelings but not much passing of gas. Just feels like my intestines are working overtime. I keep thinking I may get d*, but it doesn't seem to be happening. If anything, just now I had a regular bowel movement.

In addition, I'm randomly getting little slight pains in both areas, as well as small waves of a sort of gaggy feeling in my mouth, and a strange sensation in my throat.

Some moments it's not so severe and other moments the feeling's overwhelming and terrifying.

I'm hoping there's nothing wrong and I'll be all right. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] But I hope that helps to better understand what it feels like. At least from one perspective.

Yeah, when I'm about to v* I feel like something's already in my throat. Before that it's almost like stomach pain for me, and sometimes gagginess.

I hope you feel better, wackydeli!

i know this sounds wierd but i feel it in my legs sometimes, moslty from
    a panic attack
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

a few of my friends say they rarely feel n* before they v*, especially if
    it's from a virus or fp. they usually say they get a pain in their stomach
    and then it just happens. maybe really fighting it leads to that horrible
    n*, i'm not sure.

I feel it in my tummy, my wind pipe, but also in my throat too. I guess it depends on whats causing it.

Oh wow, many interesting answers! Wackydeli, i hope you're ok by the way.

The last time i was nauseated, which was 5 yrs ago, I only remember that it was making my mouth get so big with something other than air. It was so involuntary and uncomfortable. I was trying to hold it in, so my cheeks made me feel like a chimpunk. I didn't get sick though. But it was pretty severe. Funny how I don't remember how exactly it felt..

I'm doing better; but that's typically how one of my n* episodes goes.

I haven't v* in 8 years, so similarly I have no idea exactly what it feels like, or when I'll know it's going to happen. I think what I fear most is that it'll happen involuntarily without warning. But, I just get n* and panic and then it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by wackydeli
    I'm doing better; but that's typically how one of my n* episodes goes.

I haven't v* in 8 years, so similarly I have no idea exactly what it feels like, or when I'll know it's going to happen. I think what I fear most is that it'll happen involuntarily without warning. But, I just get n* and panic and then it goes away.
    you sound exactly same as me wacky del what drives my fear is tht fear of it happenign in say a lecture hall or supermarket and ill be mebaressed without warning, so i tthink id be ok if i was used to it and knew what it was like its just that unkwin that scares me(10 yrs since i laast v*)

Two weeks ago I just about v*d, and I can tell you, I knew it was going to happen! It was nothing like all the "nausea" I've had for the past 3 years or so (since the last time I almost v*d), which has by and large been from anxiety but which I've managed to convince myself is "real" every time. I, too, thought that I wouldn't have any warning - but boy, was it different. It's urgent. And when it's that close, I honestly want it to happen - or I did that time anyway (maybe I was having a brave day, lol!). So if anything, let me encourage you that real I'm-about-to-lose-it n* is recognizable, whatever it feels like. For me, like I said, it felt gaggy and like it was already in my throat.

I had taken 2 Gravols before it got too bad, and then as I hung over the wastebasket moaning, I wished I hadn't taken them so that it could just have happened!

I have always gotten the butterflies in the stomach feeling. That is n* for me, only in my stomach. I guess it's anxiety that causes n*.

THere is a place in the brain, called ironically the "vomiting centre". The "centre" sends a message to the stomach and you feel ill. Now I myself suffer from n* ever flippin day of the year but I have found that I have a hard time distinguishing real n* from anxiety induced n*.
    Georgi

Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    THere is a place in the brain, called ironically the "vomiting centre". The "centre" sends a message to the stomach and you feel ill. Now I myself suffer from n* ever flippin day of the year but I have found that I have a hard time distinguishing real n* from anxiety induced n*.
    Story of my life!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I've been trying to work on finding a distinction, though.

"Urgent" is a good word for it, and heavy so you feel like when you walk you have to lean forwards all the time. There's another thing that I won't mention because I know it'll make everyone get an obsession with checking it whenever they think they're about to v* like I do hundreds of times a day - don't worry what it was!

Does anyone else get the feeling just before they v* or they're sure they're about to, where suddenly everything feels surreal and it feels like your head has rolled around, you can't hear or see properly, and you feel really dizzy? It's different to a panic attack, I think, and I imagine it must happen to everyone, not just emets...or just me.

Quote Originally Posted by wallflower
    Does anyone else get the feeling just before they v* or they're sure they're about to, where suddenly everything feels surreal and it feels like your head has rolled around, you can't hear or see properly, and you feel really dizzy?
    I know exactly what you mean! I resist v*ing with every fiber of determination and control I can muster, but the one time that resolve was overcome in the recent past (maybe two, three years ago or so), that's exactly what happened when "It" finally did.

I went through a horrible period about a year ago where EVERY night I endured really intense n*, along with cold sweats, trembling and headaches. I would lie on my back with both hands braced tightly beneath me, breathing quickly and shallowly, propped mostly upright on pillows, and fight off both sleep and n*.

When I really feel s*, I feel it in my stomach-- like an aching burning fullness that surges upwards (and sets every nerve to Panic Mode) from time to time. My throat gets tense and my whole body feels extremely heavy. If I get too close to v*ing, my face burns and my limbs quiver, and I have to fight to keep from running away. I know that sounds stupid-- but you know how a mother cat will run when she first goes into labor, sometimes? That's exactly how I feel. I know rationally running is dumb, but I can't escape that feeling of "GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!" roaring in my brain.

Immediately before the actual act, my mouth always floods with saliva that I HAVE to spit out. And then I know.... :-(

Sympathy-N* or anxiety-n* I feel as a tightness in my chest and a quivering in my stomach. Sometimes with a bad taste in the mouth.Edited by: lyntess
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

I feel it in my throath

Hey Wallflower, I don't know how to do the quotation thing, but you have got me wondering what that thing is that you check. You've gotta tell us!!!

i think it's temperature. supposedly body temperature spikes just
    before v*.

when it is real you know. This sense of relief crosses your body and for that moment you are totally fine with it.

________
    Silver Surfer Review
    Last edited by emetmama; 03-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Ya, i think i roughly remember a surreal type of feeling. My body being heavy and strangely tingly, I didn't wanna be touched, it made it worse when someone touched me. It was mostly in my head i think, like something in my head was not right. [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

i can never tell if i'm actually n* or if it's anxiety. the last time my gf was hungover (good for her!) she v'ed several times, and I grilled her for information...

she said that she felt the n* start in her feet, and it went through her like a wave.

there's also the salivating part... everyone i've talked to describes salivating as being key.

which to me is a huge difference from what i experience, because my mouth is usually dry - leading me to believe that i'm not experiencing true n* but just anxiety.

doesn't stop me from feeling like crap all the time.

i think it's pretty much safe to say that n* is different for everyone...

Bigemet, I'm the same about being touched-- even as a child, I would beg my mother to stop stroking my back. It just made it even more horrible, somehow.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

i hate being touched when i am n*.

Oh, also the wave like feeling...that's why they say "waves of nausea" eh? [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] And being touched when you're having those waves is very bad.. im tryin to remember it from my postoperative v episodes 5 yrs ago.