Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Newbie Here

Hi,

I am Linda and I have suffered emetophobia for as long as I can remember.

I think that my trigger for this phobia was my drunk father who use to come home from the pub at night and throw up. Growing up as a child it was quite hard because mu dad use to do this quite often. I use to become anxious to the point of almost being sick with worry about the state he was going to come home in after a day at the pub. I use to wish that he would never come home.

As I have gotten older I think my phobia has gotten worse to some extent. I now panic when I am in public toilets, on public transport, doctor/hospital waiting rooms etc etc for the fear of someone being sick.

I have 2 children and I can actually cope alright with them being sick ATM (they are 2 & 4) however I don't know how I will go when they get older. I am also really stressed about my son who has just started school picking up a bug and passing it onto my husband because I really can't stand to be in the house if he is ill.

I want to know how I can overcome this phobia and lead a normal life

Welcome Linda! Everyone here is very supportive and there are lots of Moms here as well.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome. I hope you find good support here.

Welcome lindy lou! Everyone is very friendly and helpful here and there's always someone online

[QUOTE=lindy

I think that my trigger for this phobia was my drunk father who use to come home from the pub at night and throw up. Growing up as a child it was quite hard because mu dad use to do this quite often. I use to become anxious to the point of almost being sick with worry about the state he was going to come home in after a day at the pub. I use to wish that he would never come home.

[/QUOTE]

Hi hun,

Welcome to the site!! Hope you can find some comfort and support here, youre not alone, theres so many of us!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I totally understand where youre coming from. My Dad was exactl the same, and Im sure thats part of where my phobia comes from. I used to be terrified when I was in bed waiting for him to come home and just listening and waiting for the inevitable. I wished so many times he just wouldnt come home, but he always did. I used to beg him to stay at a friends or in a hotel, told him Id even give him my pocket money to stay away (he knew i was emet), but he just laughed at me as he always did. One night instead of putting the key in the door, which always took about 5 mins (i could hear), he rang the bell. I jumped out of bed and got to the top of the stairs so I could see the front door. My Mum was at the door and just screamed at me to go back to bed NOW. I was petrified. I obvioulusy didnt go to bed, and when my Mum brought my Dad in, he was drenched (it was raining) and covered in mud and blood. His face was so badly disfigured, I didnt even recognise him apart from the clothes he was wearing. That was one of the most frightening nights of my life, and Im sure my phobia got worse from then. I really wish parents knew what they were doing to their kids.

Anyway, were all here for ya hun, hope we can help....

(((hugs))) xxx

Welcome Lindy Lou,

I am glad you found us. You will find a lot of support here!

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]