Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Apart from foods you won't eat, what are some of the other irrational things that you do to try and avoid v*? (e.g. not wearing a particular top because you last v*ed in it or not going to a particular place.)

I feel a bit anxious today because I just finished watching the Euro final (we lost [img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]) and remembered that the last time I v*ed was the day after the World Cup final in 2006. And when I woke up this morning I had d*. I feel awful. So I suppose I'll have to add a minor case of "footballfinalophobia" to my list!

The last time I v*ed I stayed up listening to my iPod, and the one song I can remember playing is the Rolling Stones' "Time Waits for No-one". So I don't listen to that song (or anything from the same album) anymore.

I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but when I was younger I used to have a cartoon character's wardrobe of one pair of jeans and a scruffy-looking hoodie - I thought that if I dressed any nicer I'd be sure to v*.

I also don't listen to certain music that i know i listened to around the time i v*. I also won't wear certain clothes. for some reason i can't sleep in my be at the moment. not sure why i always struggle with that.

funny enough...
    when i was very young, i watched the movie Short Circuit (with that
    Johnny 5 robot) while i had an sv*. the other night, i was supposed to
    see Wall-e with my boyfriend, but i chickened out because it's a movie
    about a robot, and it's too similar to Short Circuit. i really want to see
    the movie, but i'm convinced i'll be sick after watching it. my boyfriend
    is so disappointed and refuses to see it without me because he knows
    how badly i want to watch it with him. i don't know what to do...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

oh, and if i'm feeling REALLY awful, i won't watch my favorite movies or
    tv shows, bc if i end up feeling sick, i know i'll never watch them again!Edited by: prncesspnk

I think I'm pretty mild when it comes to vomit superstitions. There was a time when I wouldn't wear the clothing I wore when I vomited (pajamas) or have THOSE sheets on my bed, but I got to be OK with them as long as I picked them out myself and they weren't just "there" one day when I went to get dressed or go to bed.

Years later, after my emet got a lot worse, I started to research the popular song hits of the day and discovered a lot of music that was on the radio the last day I threw up. I became superstitious about some of those songs for a while. Even though I was aware of none of them on the day in question.

But that eased too, and I think I could even stand to hear the Casey Kasem top 40 from tt week played on the oldies station.

Eventually I realized that none of those things caused me to vomit. Part of this is just from growing up, and I'm lucky that it's been over 30 years since I last did the tummy toss, so I've had a long time to grow up.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lauren,

Wall-E is a very cute movie, I think you should see it! Think of how proud you will be afterwards! You can do it!!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I'm the exact same.
    I avoid certain television shows, certain music, certain clothes...
    It's pretty intense trying to work your way around these superstitions.
    Sometimes it's simply as bad as interpreting "signs" - which is either walking into the lounge room to find the show I avoid (for fear of v*) is on, or just starting - the songs I avoid come on the radio etc. Sometimes it's just a feeling - and I stay in to make sure I don't regret going out.

I don't think I really have any obvious v* superstitions but I do have one BIG problem. My poor boyfriend has v* after drinking too much 5 times during our 7 year relationship and to this day although it's been over a year since it last happened, I give him a hard time when he drinks. If he wants to go out with his friends I'm worried the whole night. It ruins any plans that I might make for myself and most of the time I don't go anywhere because I consumed with the idea that he may drink too much and v* when he gets home. He almost never gets to enjoy himself because of my fears. He doesn't really understand my fear either. He thinks it's irrational because it rarely happens and often times he lies about how much he has had to drink so that I won't freak out. Which in turn pisses me off because I don't like being lied to!
    ~~~~Heather~~~~

Beenie, I know exactly what you mean! I was always worried when hubby went out to drink, and after a few months of his not v* or feeling n* in the slightest, I began to trust him not to drink too much, which is all he asked and made us happier. Then of course, the next time he goes out he v* everywhere and makes me help clean up (UGHHH! I wasn't the one who mixed Jager and cheap beer, stupid!). And it took me a LONG time to trust him again, and again, after I got comfortable with it (he had learned his lesson, after all) he nearly v* in bed, v* all over the car when he tried to drive me to work, and then a couple more times at home when I was working. And do you know what? When I played sober driver that night before I KNEW that he would feel it in the morning, I had never seen him so trashed, and when I confronted him angry when we got home, he PROMISED me he wouldn't v*... but I knew better, and told him that if he did he owed me NEVER GETTING TRASHED AGAIN! So far so good, but tonight he's gonna be doing Jello shots...

Oh god!!! May the force be with you [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] I hope he doesn't v*. I'm sure tonight I'll be worried about my boyfriend being that it's a holiday and I'm sure he'll be drinking. I just wanna have a good time for once!!!
    ~~~~Heather~~~~