Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I usually don't flip out like this, but for some reason, my buttons were pushed and I just lost it.

We were eating hot dogs on a class trip, the end-of-year overnighter. It was going great. And then one of the guys mentions what he thinks is in hot dogs.

Brittani immediately says, "Oh no, I can't eat hot dogs that aren't chicken! I'll get s* if I do!" I'm sitting next to her, and I begin the symptoms of a panic attack, because if she v*s I don't know what I'll do.

The conversation escalates, and then she starts mentioning in graphic detail what happens when she eats non-chicken hot dogs, while eating it.

I was actually feeling quite calm, and was having no trouble breathing, but had a touch of light-headedness. "Brittanni, I'm phobic," I said, as a warning. But she didn't stop, and I could feel myself slipping into a panic attack, a full-blown I'm-about-to-scream panic attack, and I just couldn't hold it in.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I choked out, and then shouted again, "Why are you doing this to me?!" That got the attention of everybody in the room, and I just started crying. I buried my face in my hands and just cried.
    "I already told you I was emetophobic, Brittani!"

"What is is your problem?" Michelle asked Brittani, who looked stricken, like she had no clue what the problem was. Michelle then grabbed my in a hug, and whispered in my ear, "Come on. We need to get you out of here."

It took a long time to get my pulse down and breath back. I stopped crying pretty fast, though. I just don't know how to cope, and I'm not sure why I just lost control, because I usually have trouble breathing, my heartbeat races, etc.Edited by: twilightrose

I think you handled yourself admirably-- you recognized the panic attack beinning, you admitted your phobia CLEARLY and openly, you expected some responsibility FROM the people around you as you struggled taking control of yourself, you cried for a bit but not excessively, and you didn't pass out!! This should be a Triumph, sweetie, not a Pitfall. *hug*

You're doing awesome coping with your phobia, and hopefully now your friends are going to understand more clearly the extent of it, and help you with it as well. Give credit where credit's due, missy! You should be quite proud of yourself.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

You did great! You should know not many of us can , go out and say how we feel and the fear that we have when others begin talking about what we fear most. And considering that already told your friend about your fear,that was ,i think, very inconsiderate of her. Good for you for standing up for yourself.I don't know how much is true lol,but i've been told that i get walked on alot, and i tend to not speak up and and not stand up for myself sadly,and what you did, is ,like lyntess said, very admirable. [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img] Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

She's most definitely not my friend anymore, and she wasn't really my friend before that, either. She was just one of those girls in my class that had to be put up with, you know?

And I did manage to take the crowded, cross-town bus today without any trace of fear, even if I did spray my keys with the alcohol-and-water solution I use for cleaning my flute when I got home.

By the way, does anyone know of pills or something I can take if I feel an attack coming on? I'm 14, so my doctor might be a little hesitant about prescribing pills, though.

Usually it takes me a couple of hours to get fully calmed down, and 90% of my panic attacks happen in school, where it's not possible to take time to get calmed down, especially if the trigger is someone coughing really hard and saying her feels sick.Edited by: twilightrose

i think you handled the situation really well, its hard letting people understand how you feel about something, and with things like this it can be even harder, but you put yourself out there and thats a really positive step.

twilightrose: there aren't any pills you can take when you "feel a panic attack coming on"...not really. Tranquilizers take some time to work, and work optimally a couple of hours after you take them. But you can't take them every day at school, as they're habit-forming. They're for special occasions - like the dentist, or a plane ride.
    But you can take anti-anxiety medication all the time, and you could ask your doctor about that. It would probably help you in general. However, it's not a "cure" and when you stop taking it the anxiety comes back - at the same level or higher. Unless you spend some time in therapy while you're on the meds. That works best.
    Good luck.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks, Sage. That answered a few questions that I also had, actually. When I feel really scared, I take a Dramamine, but it is more mind over matter, as that type of anti-emetic is for motion sickness and not the flu. I also take half of a children's dosage, so it honestly wouldn't do all that much.

twilight - I've been in therapy for a while, and I've reached the point where I can 'ride the panic attack through.' Like, it feels like I'm panicking, but I'm actually 'on the outside looking in.' Some things that I remind myself are, I have an extremely small chance of getting sick! Also, if someone around you feels sick, you don't need to take that! Just like you did, you say why you're afraid. That girl was just rude. It was very smart for your friend to take you elsewhere. I always try to remove myself, but if I am not able I do breathing exercises. I don't know if you've read other posts, but the Phobia and Anxiety Workbook is better than any pill, I think! Reading (again, if possible) takes my mind off anxiety