Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Night alone :)

Here's a triumph! (for me) It might not sound that hard to most of you, but I hate being alone at night. I always convince myself I feel sick and I'm sooo afraid of v* when I'm alone. I swear I would go get a stranger off the street to sit with me rather than do it alone!

So yesterday my husband went camping with some friends just for one night (he'll get home sometime today). I got home from work at 4:30 and this big long evening was stretching ahead of me. I watched some DVDs, did some laundry, talked to a couple friends, and tried to distract myself. I started panicking a bit at one point, when I felt dizzy for about an hour after eating dinner and had to lie down, but I never called my husband, which was what I was hoping to avoid doing. I tried to keep reminding myself that he deserves to have fun and not have me bugging him for what 97% of the time is a false alarm!

So yay! I survived a night alone! [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

Congratulations!! I hope he understands how much effort you really put into this, and doesn't take you for granted. You did awesome, congrats on mustering so much will power!! *claps*
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

YAY! Congratulations! That's actually a big triumph! I know nonemets that are afraid to be alone at night that couldn't do what you did! Bravo!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

yay!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] congrats, that's a great triumph. it's tough for lots of people
    to spend the night alone, not just emets. my mom gets so scared when
    my dad goes away on business for like 2 or 3 nights. she hates it. i, on
    the other hand, love to be left alone, especially if i'm feeling panicky. go
    figure.

Thanks everyone

So I had a chance to try it again tonight, and didn't do so well this time It's 4 in the morning right now. My husband is staying over with the friends he went camping with - this is all because one of them is getting married tomorrow (or should I say today!) and my husband is a groomsman. We were both at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner last night because I'm doing the music at the ceremony, and just as we got home after a last-minute shopping trip at 10:30ish, he told me there's a good chance he'd be staying over there tonight. Then he rushed around getting ready in about 5 minutes because apparently they were in a hurry to get someone some keys or something (it all seemed a bit unplanned!).

So I think it was a combination of the fact that I've hardly seen him this week, the rushing around to leave, not really getting to say goodbye to him, and suddenly being alone for the night . . . and our bathroom is infested with spiders right now, so I keep sneaking in there with my eyes darting everywhere each time I can't wait any longer! Also I've been feeling dizzy for a few days and felt like passing out at the dinner. So I started panicking in earnest, which just made me dizzier, and called him and asked him to come home, and 3 minutes later asked him not to because I realized that the groom would have to leave to drive him home. Meanwhile I was panicking over the phone.

I know I'm a bad person in general, because I believe we're all sinful. This phobia is the thing that most often reminds me of my selfishness and sinfulness!!

So tonight was less of a triumph . . . but I guess at least I didn't actually make him come home!

Aww, you're not a bad person! You're human, yes, and have a phobia but you're a wonderful person from what I've seen of you.

It probably was because it was so unplanned and so close in time to the last time you were home alone. But be proud of yourself anyway because you did get thru it ... BOTH times and in the future it will be good to look back on. One great experience, one not so great but even when the "worst" time you got thru and the worst thing that happened is you got panicky ... you didn't go insane or v or make him come home. Thats a big step!

As for the spiders ... EEK i'd be darting eyes right there with you, those little buggers freak me out!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin