Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've been thinking of appendicitis a lot. I heard it was quite common; 1 in 5 people would get it. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] And sometimes the symptoms are atypical, so you wouldn't even know u have it.. Is there a way to prevent appendicitis?

Appendicitis is also one thing that almost definitely causes nausea and v-ing, often violent and constant v-ing. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

My sister had appendicitis and she never v'ted once, nor did she have nausea so don't worry too much about it.

Try not to worry to much about it, I know 2 people who have had it and thats not alot to be honest. so don't worry. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yeah, I remember a girl in 5th grade having it and it freaked me out for a long time. I still don't want it but like scottness said not everyone gets sick and I too only know about 2 people who've had it.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

yea i know a bunch of non-emets who didn't v* from it!

my friend who is not an emet didnt get sick from it.

Sometimes I worry about appendicitis if I have really sudden severe low abdominal pain. I don't really know if there's anything you can do to prevent it. I just did a google search and the internet says generally that there's really nothing you can do to surely prevent it, but it's less common in people who eat lots of fiber/roughage.

I've only known one person who had it, that I know of. She was really sick for a long time before they figured out what it was, unfortunately, which makes it dangerous! If you have lots of the typical symptoms, it's probably better to get checked and be safe!

Wow, I've never known anyone to have it. But I'm one of those who also freak out about having it! Especially because, like you said, it's very common. It's nice to know that there are people who don't v* from it though. I was always told that v*, fever, and abdominal pain are the biggest symptoms. Also, if anyone happens to have a planned surgery in your stomach area, make sure to tell the doctors to just take it out anyway! There is no reason to keep your appendix, and if they are digging around in your insides anyway, you might as well (I had surgery there but they didn't take it out!! I was so peeved - I was 'underage' and so didn't have a say in how my body was being treated, but also it was emergency surgery and they probably wouldn't have anyway).

Yaaay! So it's possible you don't get sick from appendicitis. But, I was wondering if I should just get surgery to remove my appendix, lol so I don't have to worry about it. Some ppl do get it removed [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

The only way to prevent it is to have a pre-emptive appendectomy. Astronauts have them. However, your insurance probably wouldn't cover such an operation. And then you would have to worry about vomiting from the surgery anyway.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    The only way to prevent it is to have a pre-emptive appendectomy. Astronauts have them. However, your insurance probably wouldn't cover such an operation. And then you would have to worry about vomiting from the surgery anyway.

Doug
    That's true!! However, vomiting from the surgery is a bit better than from appendicitis because I've done it b4 and i found that at least the vomit after surgery doesn't taste that bad or even smell like anything because it's pretty much the anasthetic coming out, it tastes like medicine.

[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Maybe i'll get my appendix removed.

When I was post-op they gave me a ton of anti-emetics (both before and after). My mom started getting the meds too after surgeries. I haven't heard of people getting sick from post-op in years and years >_> Maybe it's just my hospital.

Whoa whoa whoa, I have never heard of v*ing after surgery. Is this common? Does it definitely happen? Why does it happen?

::freaked out now::
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

It depends on some factors!! Women and nonsmokers are have more risk to v after surgery. Also, if you've previously had v experience after surgery, you're more likely to be sick. I was definitely sick, sadly. 5 yrs ago. I was really hoping i wouldn't be sick, they ddin't give me antiemetics b4 the surgery [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

Strangely, when i was lying down i didn't feel sick at all. But when I got up..I felt really sick.

I volunteered as a chaplain in the recovery room of the O.R. at my local hospital when I was trying to get treated for the phobia. It was TOTALLY USELESS because NO ONE ever vomited. That's cuz they asked people if they felt nauseous when they woke up, and if they did they gave them a cocktail of dope (anti-emetics). They also gave something before they woke up, I think.

Anyway, if you don't want to be sick from surgery, you won't be...so don't worry. Just talk to the anethetist and tell him or her you're emetophobic.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yeah, I had a friend a few years back, she was actually a friends mom that I became friends with so she was about 30 yrs older than me, anyhow she knew of my phobia and we were talking about surgery. Years ago she'd had some and was really sick after so when she had to have surgery again more recently she wasn't thrilled and explained how sick she'd been before and they told her people don't get sick anymore ... they gave her antiemetics and she was never sick. So, if you let them know you DO NOT want to be sick they will give you something, like sage said I think they do anyhow. I mean really, why would they want you to v? Even nonemets don't love cleaning it up.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin