Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My story

[COLOR=RED]I started you a new thread for your story
    - Sage</font>

Wow. It is really amazing how this is so all consuming for many of us.

(Graphic-Lots of Episodes)

After a lot of talking and soul searching as to wear my fear of vomit came from, I believe that it may have started when I was 4 years old. I was in a horrible horrible car accident with my older sister, my older brother, and two cousins. My older 15 year old cousin was driving and at some point he lost control and flipped we flipped over upside down in a canal. My favorite 11 year old cousin, Tracy, was killed in this accident. I do not remember this but my older sister says that she and my 15 year old cousin had both thrown up and we were stuck in the car for over an hour until a man found us and called the police... I think I mainly started to notice EXTREME discomfort in the though of myself or others vomiting around the time that Junior High Hit. I know that before then I had had several experiences with it already..... I remember one in 4th grade where our desks were in a horse shoe shape and out of nowhere a boy across from me threw up on the floor. Also, another time in approximately 5th grade I was out playing on the swings with some of my friends and then one of my guy friends quit swinging, moved over by a pole, and threw up his chili burrito lunch that we had just eaten. I remember being disgusted by both of these episodes and I slighty remember a teeny pinge of anxiety..... In Junior High I had several other episodes, I don't know if I can recall all of them. One of them involved our volleyball coach getting sick on the way back from a game that we had played in a city about 30 minutes from outs. Another one involves hearing huge screams in a class room right next to mine and then finding out it was someone that had thrown up all over. Another one involves my family and I going to a Dinner Theatre. It was an all you can eat thing and then you see a play afterwards. Well, we were sitting in the back of the theater and all of the sudden a guy got up in the row across the isle from us and hurried past everyone's knees as quickly as he could. As soon as he got out of the isle he threw up and it splashed on my brother's friend and we could smell it on the ride home not to mention for the rest of the play and I was just stuck there for another hour and a half. In High School I remember a classmate running out of my Spanish class and vomiting all over the floor just outside. Also, we had a girl on our volleyball team my Senior year that would throw up before each game because of some odd medical condition and I saw her do that each time. In high school I discovered alcohol and became a true and blue alcoholic by the time I was a Senior in High school. I found that when I was drinking that I did not care at all about people vomiting. Heck I would hold their hair for them and saw plenty of it with all the partying that I did..... When it became legal for me to drink I actually quit drinking myself cause I was so sick of hangovers and throwing up myself and I realized that it was self destructive so I stopped.....

Since then I have seen several piles of vomit in the road, I have seen people throwing up on the side of the road on 4 different occasions, two of those just being in the last year. This last year has been complete hell for me. I feel like I am a magnet for vomit and my sister even jokes and says I have barfokinesis. lol I have been seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist for the last 15 months. I am extremely sensitive to medication so we are having trouble finding an antidepressent that works right for me without too many side effects for my OCD. Another episode that happened exactly a year ago was in a movie theater, even though I was always nervous about moving theaters (needing to sit near exits, watching to make sure people don't act ill) I still would see movies here and there. I have not been to a movie in a year because the last time I went a kid

Wow, I never run into that many incidents. Maybe we all just think this way because we pay attention to it and it stays in our minds for awhile. I would've freaked out at the movie theater. I remember when I was in elementary school, after a kid just v*ed, he was in the lunch room like 15 minutes later. And sometimes parents send their kids to school after they had gotten sick that morning or the night before. If you feel sick, stay home to save us emetophobics the trouble.

My boyfriend works at Medieval Times as a food server, and once at a matinee he was told that a kid in his section had been sick. After he calls the housekeeping department, the chaperone for the group of kids tells my boyfriend that the boy who just got sick wants more food. WHAT IS THAT?

Anyway, I am so sorry you have to experience so many real life incidents with v*. I've been fortunate enough not to experience too many (if any in recent years) incidents. Hang in there, hopefully you can find relief soon.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Thank you for your replies. My husband said he has never seen it so much as he has since he has been married to me. Really crazy. I do wish that people would have manners and stay home if they feel ill or leave and not come back if they are. Crazy stuff....

Not as bad as you but I always seem to hear about people's illness so it can mess with my head.