Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

so right now its 3:05 am. And i'm getting the panick feeling right now and i am about to cry.My mother and sister are both asleep so no one to help me.

I live in a very old house, probably from the late 1800s-early 1900s, and the walls are thin and the attic floor creaks ALOT when someone walks.You can hear pretty much everything thats going in the other rooms in the house,especially at this time of night. Well, i live on the second floor, so i can hear what goes on up in the attic very well , loud and clear.

This lady just moved in about 2 weeks ago,right in the room in the attic right above my room.Suddenly i hear hacking and really loud coughing sounds.Now, i've been on this site going throughout the post, and then i pause to hear all the details of what happening.Hacking coughing .. it goes on for about 1 min. and then stops, then creaking ,pounding ,which means she just got out of bed.I think she v*ed, got out of bed to clean it because i hear her walking back and forth, and sounded like she made her way to the bathroom and back.Im scared and i still hear noises.Anything i hear i feel so jumpy and my stomachs all knotted up.But i cant help it, i have to hear whats going on!!!!Worst thing is i seen her today talked to her, and was around her for a bit. I didnt have a long contact period with her but still , i'm freaking out!!I was doing some work on the room next door to her, and was sitting on the bed she slept on.I cant help but think i have her germs on me. Im shaking, and cant sleep now, even more than before.I just want it to be day so i can make run for it outside and be away from here.I dont want to fall ill!! i wish it was like before that only my family the landlord and my friend lived in this house. it was quiet and knew if anyone was ill,so i could keep away..i need heeellllllp!!!I doubt that anyone will read this in time... but if anyone does, please tell me something that i should do..im a complete blank . [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

I'm sorry you're going thru this. But, she could just have a bad cough and got up to get a drink of water. Laying down sometimes makes a cough worse so she may just be up trying to calm it. Even if she did v that doesn't mean she's contagious, she could have just coughed too hard. Besides you can't catch anything thru the walls and the limited time you spent w/ her was before this happened (so there were no germs to speak of at the time) and you weren't around her that long. I know its scary still. Do you have headphones or something so you can listen to some music rather than the goings on upstairs?

I hope you are feeling calmer and able to get back to sleep!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi There,
    I'm new to the site and am not sure if this is a current post or not. I used to stick my fingers in my ears and either talk to myself ("Its OK", "You'll be alright" etc) or sing or hum to myself. Don't know if you have religious leanings, but memorised prayers, hyms etc are all good too.
    Best of Luck
    Melinda

Hope you managed to relax eventually and get some sleep. I agree with
    Simply Me - old people often have trouble sleeping and she is probably just
    restless and has a bad cough. Obviously if I was in your room though I
    wouldn't like it at all and maybe you can get some ear plugs in case her
    coughing continues.

Hope things improve for you.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Right around 4am i went back to bed, but couldnt fall asleep right away, especially since she kept on moving around upstairs.I woke up a little while ago, and my mother says she spoke to , and said she didnt look sick.Well,what she might consider not looking sick , maybe different to an emet. I didnt have any headphones at that time, so i couldnt listen to any music, so i did cover my ears quite a bit.By the way shes not an "old" lady ,shes in her early 20' s, so i dont know if it couldve been a cough. I do know she snores, could that have anything to do with it?I really dont want to go back upstairs,but i do need to finish fixing up the room,cause my cousin is vising for the summer this Saturday,and it has to be done.I dont know if i'm up for it though.If im up there and hear her coughing or anyone coughing,i 'll probably freak and run out .I wouldnt have the freedom to do that though cause im doing the room over with my uncle and he doesnt know about my emet.He'd be very unsupportive probably think im crazy. Sorry for going on, just scared my plans will be ruined cause of this stupid phobia.Well,thanks for the support everyone you've been so very great and helpful! Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

Yes, if she was snoring she could have choked on some nasal stuff (ewww) or sometimes people just wake up to a cough, she could have been drinking, she could be a smoker, she could have postnasal drip/sinus issues. There's a million reasons for the coughing. I know its hard to relax though, once something like that is in your head but maybe try focusing on the fun you'll have w/ your cousin can take your mind off of it?
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin