Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This is sort of off-topic, but I thought it could apply to when one is feeling n* so I put the topic here.

I have a HUGE test tomorrow morning (the one that tells me whether or not I am good enough to teach Spanish) and have the feeling that I will NOT be able to go to sleep tonight. What are some good ways to help relax/prepare for bed? They also would probably help me in the morning when I'm too n* to eat.

Thanks!

KC

Hola amiga - no te preocupes, espanol es mi otro idioma!

But, yeah, on a serious note, i'm sure that everything will go fine! Before going into the test, make sure that you tell yourself that you can pass this test and you can get a good mark. If you don't have confidence in yourself, you will get nowhere. Believe that you can do it!

Secondly, I recommend having something big to eat before you go to sleep and, if you are like me, you will be too nervous to eat much in the morning so at least you will not go into the test on an empty stomach. Drink lots of water but not too much (otherwise you will need to pee throughout the test!) so that you stay dehydrated.

Do some breathing exercises before going to bed and when you are sitting at the exam table waiting for the test to start. Just remember that the person who is marking the test is on your side and wants you to do well!

Also, this only applies if you are religious, but pray before the exam!

When you get to the test centre, don't talk with others as this may make you nervous. Maybe take a small but brisk walk before going to the exam - this will burn of unnecessary adrenaline!

And, my final bit of advice, after the exam, treat yourself - go for a drink, go for a coffee, go shopping. anything that helps you to relax!

Buena suerte - espero que todo vaya bien para ti!!

see ya!
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deep breathing exercises are proven to have a calming effect.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART00520

Breathing: Basic How-To's

At the very center of our being is rhythmic movement, a cyclic expansion and contraction that is both in our body and outside it, that is both in our mind and in our body, that is both in our consciousness and not in it. Breath is the essence of being, and in all aspects of the universe we can see the same rhythmic pattern of expansion and contraction, whether in the alternating cycles of day and night, waking and sleeping, high and low tides, or seasonal growth and decay. Oscillation between two phases exists at every level of reality, even up to the scale of the observable universe itself, which is presently in expansion but will at some point contract back to the original, unimaginable point that is everything and nothing, completing one cosmic breath.

Breathing is a natural object of meditation. By putting attention on your breath, you will change your state of consciousness, begin to relax, and detach from ordinary awareness. Many systems of meditation use focus on breath as the main technique. In the Buddhist and yogic traditions are many examples of people who reached enlightenment by doing nothing other than paying attention to the rising and falling of their own breath. In this sort of meditation you can try to experience the dimensionless point between inbreath and outbreath and to glimpse enlightenment in that space. You can come to know reality itself as an eternal oscillation between being and nonbeing. All this is possible from experiencing breath, which is the mystery of being unfolding right in front of our noses, connecting us to the universal rhythm.

If today you can be aware of breathing for 10 seconds more than you were yesterday, you will have taken a measurable step toward enlightenment, will have expanded your consciousness, furthered communication between mind and body, become a little more whole, and so improved your health. While diet and exercise are important, they are not the sole determinants of health. People who eat excellent diets and exercise faithfully are not always healthy, but the likelihood of being a healthy person who does not breathe well is slim.

When learning how to breathe, begin by closing your eyes for a few minutes. Practice moving your breath. Keep your back straight. Begin with a deep, audible sigh, then quietly inhale and see how slow, deep, quiet and regular you can make your breathing and still have it feel perfectly comfortable. You should feel that you are getting enough air with no sense of not getting enough air. Do this for at least eight breaths, then open your eyes and breathe normally. This is a simple exercise but an effective one, and you should do it whenever you can.

Next, pay attention to your exhalation. If you watch people breathe, you will see that most of them use effort to inhale but none to exhale. Exhalation is usually passive and takes less time than inhalation. When you breathe this way, you do not move nearly as much air in and out of your lungs as you can. The more air you move, the healthier you will be, because the functioning of all systems of the body depends on delivery of oxygen and removal of carbon dioxide. To get more air into your lungs, concentrate on getting more air out of them by attending to exhalation.

At the end of a normal breath try squeezing more air out. You will be using your intercostal muscles to do this, and you will feel the effort as they compress the rib cage. Try to make your exhalation as long or even slightly longer than inhalation. Whenever you think of it, practice this technique of extending exhalation and developing your intercostal muscles.

Edited by: centipede

Friend me on Facebook

Here's another article on reducing stress

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART00535

Common Stress Triggers

Stress can be linked to both external and internal factors. But the truth is that stress is always fundamentally internal - it is the reaction that we bring to a situation that causes stress, not the situation itself. If you experience stress, consider the following - each can increase or prolong your stressful reaction. Try eliminating one at a time for a period of time to see how the change affects your stress levels.

Caffeine and other stimulant drugs
    These activate the sympathetic nervous system, which prepares us for emergencies, for "flight or fight" responses. Often these make us more jumpy, anxious and fearful, and interfere with relaxation, rest and sleep. Caffeine is in more than just coffee and colas - it is an ingredient of many over-the-counter and prescription drugs. If you want to lower your level of internal stress and develop your ability to relax and let go of external annoyances, a good place to begin is to eliminate caffeine and its relatives from your life. Because of their action on the sympathetic nervous system, all stimulants, whether natural or synthetic, or in the form of teas or pills, are obstacles to relaxation.

Sound
    With a profound influence on the nervous system, it is no surprise that some kinds of sound increase our level of arousal and make us tense and anxious. Music has special power to affect consciousness - it is easy to listen unconsciously to sounds that directly and powerfully push the nervous system away from calmness and centeredness. In a way, choosing which sounds to let into your consciousness and which to exclude is like making choices about your mental nutrition. If you want to be excited, stimulated, sexually aroused or prepared for physical violence, by all means listen to the readily available sounds that move you toward those states. If you want to relax and dissipate the tension resulting from external stress, do not make it harder for yourself by receiving those influences.

News
    News reports can also profoundly affect your mental state. They can increase anxiety, give you new possibilities for worry and play on your desire for emotional stimulation. Notice the effect that news has on your mental equilibrium. Like caffeine addiction, news addiction is a major roadblock to learning to relax. Experiment with breaking the news habit, then use your power of choice to tune into news selectively and consciously.

Agitated minds
    Others who are agitated will affect your level of agitation. A kind of resonance takes place in the realm of consciousness. If you are in the presence of calm, centered persons, your internal tension diminishes and you let go of some of your stress without making any effort to do so. If you are in the presence of people who are excited, angry or anxious, you will naturally move toward those states. Pay attention to your internal responses to the people you associate with. As much as possible, avoid the company of agitated minds.

Friend me on Facebook

There are several sticky posts on the "Treatments" section of this forum that may be helpful as well.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Muchas gracias por su ayuda!

I actually stayed rather calm today; I even ate breakfast and everything! I had had to walk to the test (hubby has the car up at his folks' place) and I think that really helped. Plus, I feel generally good about my performance today. Yay!

Thanks again!

Nice one!
    We knew you could do it!!!
    Well done for eating breakfast - i hate having morning exams because i hate having to eat breakfast before they start!

Try not to think about the test now; there is nothing you can change so therefore it is not worth thinking about!

When do you get your results??

Espero que hayas conseguido buenas notas en tu examen y que hablemos mas espanol en el futuro!!
    Hasta pronto!

but seriously, well done!!
    xxx
    ISAIAH 41:10