Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Alright, well, my mom and sister both woke up this morning and threw up. My dad and I are completely fine and he has been around them all day, and I, being an emet :], have kept my distance. I felt fine until I had diahhreaa.[Sorry for the spelling]. Now I'm sort of worried. What do guys think the chances are of my catching this bug? I don't get sick often and have been applying Purell almost religiously. I'm still scared though. Is it possible for me to have the bug?

The diahhrea may be being caused by my period, though. So I'm not sure.

Please respond soon.

Please respond, guys.
    i'm seriously flipping out.
    I can't go anywhere, since my dad is at work. He works nights and won't be back until late. I could deal with it before but now I'm seriously stressed out. Edited by: wallywahwah5

The d* could be from your period or nerves. Try to stay calm (I know, easy to say). You've taken all precautions and your dad is still fine so maybe its something your mom and sis ate rather than a bug. Hope this helps and you feel better.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Simplyme speaks wise words

I thik if ur dad hasn't been ll you should be fine I often hve d* on my period! Plus, if ur nervous nd worried ur insides will be wntng to offload evrything incase u need to run frm the potential danger!

Did your mom and sis eat the same thing? How are they now and how are you?
    JANNA

I still feel completely fine.
    My dad's at work, so I dunno about him.
    They aren't nauseaus at all anymore, but are very achy and just overall don't feel well.
    They ate leftover pizza 2 days ago, which my dad ate when we first bought, and I didn't eat at all.
    They think it's a virus, but i dunno, since they literally got sick within hours of eachother.

Ehhh, I'm still a little nervous though.

achey and not feeling great can be from v* itsself its quite violent and I know my whole body aches after even if I've only done it once.

Wash your hands religiously (not just purell) and you'll be okay.

Sorry for the late response. I hope that your mom and sis are both doing better. I have been around sick people ALOT and am anal about handwashing, sanitizing and I also buy OZIUM (kills bacteria in the air -- yes, I know its doesn't kill viruses but....it makes me feel safer somehow). Anyway, my point is that my daughter, husband, mother and father in law ALL CAUGHT a bug from my daughter that I NEVER GOT!!! They all had it within 3 days it was very contagious but cleanliness paid off. I even used the same bathroom as all of them as it was a one bath home we shared with them.

Try to stay calm, eat when you are hungry and keep up the sanitation program and I think you will be just fine.

Let us know how you are doing!!!

This is not going to help at all, but knowing the facts is good. There is a 5 day incubation period from the time the person in your home got sick, so if you don't get it by Saturday you are in the clear. The unfortunate thing is that the person is contagious three days before they actually get sick, which stinks for us emets!

I swear by Lysol Kitchen Cleaner with Bleach - it KILLS everything. I use it on everything in every room of the house. The last time my son got sick at 3:00 a.m. - I got out of bed, my husband took care of him for the rest of the night and I cleaned EVERYTHING in the house with the Lysol until 6:00 a.m.

Unfortunately, you won't know for sure unless it happens. Just think back to three days before they got sick and see if you shared anything with them mouth to mouth or if you were close to them or not.

I think you will be fine though. I hope this helps alittle.

Check out Sage's site...
    http://www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com/
    There's tons of information on stomach viruses there. Reading it helped to put my mind at ease, especially the 'myths' section. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that sharing utensils with or just being near them in the days before they were sick is just fine. That's not how the tummy junk is spread.

Quote Originally Posted by emetfreak
    The unfortunate thing is that the person is
    contagious three days before they actually get sick, which stinks for us
    emets!
    where did you hear this? i know with noro and most other sv*s the
    person isn't actually contagious until he/she v*s or has d* (because
    that's how the virus is transmitted, through ingestion of the v* and d*
    particles that are contaminated, it's not airborne). also, most people
    who've come into contact with a virus begin to show symptoms within
    24 hours of initial contamination. so for someone to be contagious three
    days before symptoms seems a bit much. i guess it could differ
    depending on the virus though.

Prncesspnk - Check out the link I posted. It is true that someone's contagious before their first v* or d* episode.

thanks sherbear! i get it now! so if the person is infected and they go to
    the bathroom, they can shed the virus in their... poop... but it's still
    much easier to catch after the person begins to show symptoms.

That shouldn't be a problem unless somebody is ridiculously unsanitary. I'd like to think everyone washes their hands after err, taking a dump.