Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Believing

How many of you pray to God that He will help you defeat this phobia? I know I do sometimes and I dunno if its the power of suggestion but sometimes I feel better ..

Love,EmaEdited by: sicpuppy

I am a christian and i always pray to god not that he will get rid of the phobia, but that if I were to be sick, God would get me through it and be my strength when it happened!

read isaiah 41:10 in the bible!
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prayer is wonderful, and I'm a strong believer in it.

Having said that, a busload of nuns could pray over a seed of wheat sitting on your coffee table and it would not grow wheat. God's up there somewhere sayin' "why don't they just put it in the ground?" When you put the seed in the ground, God can work miracles.

Sometimes we just need to get ourselves to that place where God can do God's work in us.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yes, I pray about this, and I do agree that God's timing is perfect, even when I do not understand why I feel this way. I firmly believe that someday, hopefully sooner than later, I will not have this affliction anymore!
    JANNA

All the time. But if God wants me to have emet for the rest of my life, I will have emet for the rest of my life. The important thing is that He is sovereign and in total control!

I do sometimes but am ashamed to say only when I feel really bad. I have had alot of grief in my life and for a while I was very upset with God. It took me a long time to figure out that God does not give me what I can't handle. I have lots of questions and I know that someday I will have the answers I seek. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

VERY well said Sage!! I like this post, because I, too, pray about this phobia all the time. Mostly I pray to be happy and healthy, myself and my family. My whole problem is trust. I have a very hard time trusting in God and that He knows best. And I used to question why He let me or my kids get sick when He knows how much it scares me. Weird and not correct, I know. Anybody for comments??

Wow. I don't pray anywhere near as often or as passionately as I should, except when the kids are ill. Most of the time I pray "Please God dont let me v*, I can't handle it... etc" Most times this is enough.
    I also will pray that he lets me sleep, as often it is a good, sound sleep that I need.
    Still trying to improve that conscience contact with God. I'm so glad He's patient..

I used to pray like that when I was young and the phobia was raging. I prayed REALLY hard that...if I went to such and such a place or event that NO ONE would vomit...I used to promise God that if he protected me, then I would get treatment and get over it. Well, I did - and nobody ever vomited those times I prayed. But I don't really believe God operates like that. Otherwise, why would he not protect the peasant woman's children in Guatemala who cry to him day and night?

Anyway, I could argue theology and sovereignty of God all day (and I do ... lol....but not on here)... So I'll refrain. All but for saying that I don't think God ever "wants" us to have emetophobia (or any illness) for our whole lives. Wholeness and healing is always in God's plan for us. No one ever came to Jesus asking to be healed only to be told "sorry...it's not in God's plan for you". I do think, however (for what it's worth) that God has many plans that never come to fruition.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I wonder if I'm the only atheist on this forum. While I don't believe in anything supernatural, I can definitely see how having faith could help someone immensely. I don't pray at all (obviously), but I do have weird habits that I know are completely illogical and have no effect whatsoever on if/when I'll become sick in the future but seem to calm my anxiety anyway. Whenever I see a clock where all the numbers are the same (like 3:33 or 11:11), I make a wish that I'll be OK. And whenever I drive through a tunnel, I hold my breath and make the same wish.

Again, I'm completely aware that these habits are pointless have no effect on when I'll actually get sick in the future or anything, but I have been doing them since I was a small child and I've never really felt the need to stop it. They don't really interfere with my life unless I become late for something because I was waiting to see all three numbers on the clock be the same (which has happened a few times).
    ~ Natalie

im not sure if im atheist, or agnostic, maybe inbetween.

but the family iv grown up with is religious, and this is hypocritical, but when ever im in a crisis, or feeling sick,i do pray to the god they preach for.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]