Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Yes

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

17 40.48%
  • Other: please state

25 59.52%

It seems like most emetophobics have OCD and I want to know if the majority does.

Edit: Whoops I messed up my poll! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Edited by: gertruth

See if you can fix it...I was going to vote use...at least mild ocd or obsessive compulsive traits.

What's wrong with the poll that you want to fix?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's no "yes" option just no or other, that's what I'm seeing.

yes, I am OCD. I think it has a major impact on my emetophobia.

Major OCD.

My sister is OCD and used to get sick alot, had to know where the bathrooms were along the way to a place and AT a place before we got there or she would get sick in a bag a few times before we got there. She would especially get sick if my mom didn't stop at each one of those places.

I have obsessive tendancies and am a compulsive obsesser and worrier so I guess that is pretty close and I have an extreme fear of OTHERS vomit. Especially in situations I can't take control of or leave, like in a car, plane, on a boat, whatever.

Yep. Until I found out that emet was more than just really hating v*, I would tell everyone I had OCD so they would know why I was a picky eater, etc. Then when I found out about emet I thought maybe I didn't have OCD and it was all just a symptom of the emet, because I generally don't mind dust, germs etc. that I know won't cause v*ing. But then I realised taht over the last two years or so, the other "type" of OCD has been creeping up on me - "I've left the hair straightener on...", "I left my [insert item] at home..." and re-reading things, making lists, etc.

i am:
    a germophobe
    a perfectionist
    an ed in recovery
    [img]smileys/smilies_14.gif[/img]

Yes with hand washing....I was even like it before my emet

+ Yes, I do.
    I don't worry about it though.
    Mostly it's just small stuff that bothers me .
    Most people find it funny, and I can see why.
    Who else walks into public restrooms with such extreme caution?
    I always afraid to open the door to a stall, as if I'll find some kind of monster.
    Of course, I have my reasons. +Edited by: + kozi +
    + \"My musick may seem like ugly , angry, useless noise; but it is what I see in you, and it is precisely what you deserve.\" +

- Rosemary Malign, Noise Artist -

Can I just say, OCD is something you have not something you are! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yes I have OCD I had that before the Emet. Think they go hand in hand!

+ Oops, I meant yes, I do have OCD. +
    + \"My musick may seem like ugly , angry, useless noise; but it is what I see in you, and it is precisely what you deserve.\" +

- Rosemary Malign, Noise Artist -

I have to feel cups and bowls before I use them. It's not really for a specific reason but I won't drink or eat out of something I haven't felt.

Yes - mainly handwashing which is still out of control, used to have it big time with housework until my other half and me had a major bust up over it, i was doing his head in with it and he felt like he couldn't even put his stuff anywhere without me freaking out (although I didn't thinkl i was that bad but i must've been [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] ) and it made me realise that there's more to life than an obsessively clean clinical house. I'm still paranoid about the bathroom and kitchen (for sv and fp reasons) but i now only dust and do a big tidy up once a week and my fiance helps - it's really changed my life, i've got loads more spare time - to wash my hands ha ha (only joking)

Wallflower - OMG I have the hair straightener anxiety EVERY morning halfway to work when it's too late to go back and triple check [img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img] I'd love a pair of the new GHD's that have an auto switch off when they haven't moved for 10 minutes or something...no chance though they're dead expensive.

I developed emetophobia first, and OCD evolved out of it always having to do with food or hand washing. I still fight this nasty little voice every time I eat that says, "Are you sure that's safe?" So it's really hard to distinguish the two apart sometimes since OCD for me always centers on whether or not the food I'm going to eat is "safe."

I believed I had some form of OCD up until yesterday. Everyone would always tell me I had OCD because I wash my hands "often" and I'm a perfectionist. Well... I did a lot of reading yesterday, I mean A LOT. like hours. And I came to find out that many people w/ OCD wash around 60 times a day. I don't think I'm anywhere NEAR that. And these people's lives are altered due to it. I'd say that there are certain events I avoid, but it doesn't effect me much. And when many people w/ OCD were asked why they needed to wash again after a previous washing, they didn't really have a full explanation.
    With me, I'd say I wash often, but that's because most people don't wash enough! People at school think it's funny how I take out my handwipe and scrub down b4 my meal but I keep telling them that it's just common sense! And no one ever washes well enough after using the rest room.

So... basically, I think I just have a bad case of emetophobia and some form of anxiety disorder. That's it.

I'm not sure. I do have OCD compulsions but it is to do with my emet. Like if I have just left the house but don't know if I've turned the lights off...I won't check but then I think if I don't check I'll be s* so I have to go check. Then I do things that I think if I don't do them (or do do them if you know what I mean) then I will be s*.
    Just read that back and if you understand what I'm on about then you are a genius!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by beany
    I'm not sure. I do have OCD compulsions but it is to do with my emet. Like if I have just left the house but don't know if I've turned the lights off...I won't check but then I think if I don't check I'll be s* so I have to go check. Then I do things that I think if I don't do them (or do do them if you know what I mean) then I will be s*.
    Just read that back and if you understand what I'm on about then you are a genius!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    I'm certainly not a genius but i get what you mean! I'm the same and I used to do this thing where i'd say if i don't get that done by the time whatever happens then i'll be s*, like if the microwave is a few seconds from going off and i don't finish drying my hands and putting the towel back or whatever, i haven't done that in ages though it's funny how these things come and go...Edited by: paulinek

Yup, my emet doesn't help, but there's things that I do because of OCD that have nothing to do with emet...

No
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

I have to have my water bottle on my at all times
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Acording to the CBT worker and psychiatrist I have Severe OCD...thats cause of the gloves though.
    The Lord is my shepherd.

I don't have OCD in the slightest. Before I found this website I never even thought to clean surface areas with bleach after someone v*. When I was little I NEVER washed my hands. But I've never really connected good hygiene with preventing v*. I just never really thought about it before I found this website.
    Crayon

Yes, I do. I'm a germ-o-phobe and compulsively clean and wash my hands. I'm also compulsive about food handling/safety and preparation.

It's not bad enough that it rules my life, but it's there. Most people who know me laugh and joke about my fear of germs as one of my little quirks.

I have other things too, like all of the clocks in the house have to be synchronized, I cannot sleep on sheets that are wrinkled, and when I have groups of things they have to end in an even number, etc.
    Elizabeth

Yes. I have it when it comes to food hygene and general cleanliness. I also have a thing about order and symetry. I hate when the house is messy and things are out of place.