Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: control

I dont know if any of you can relate to this but in my experience, the way emetaphobia effected relationships was in a control way. I felt that in order to organise myself and feel safe was to get everyone to be my accoomplis. Thats very damaging as you are making people reassure you all the time. Heres an example; I would ask my mum over and over again until she was in tears, the same question about whether the food was safe to eat, i did this until i made my mum doubt herself. Il never forget the feeling when i realised that my fears were hurting people. I had complete control and it highlights just what a damaging illness emetaphobia is to those around us not just us, after all we are the ones in control. I say this because even though we feel we have no control over what happening to us, we do. Its our behaviour, we can change.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234
    I say this because even though we feel we have no control over what happening to us, we do. Its our behaviour, we can change.
    This is 100% true. It's something we need to repeat to ourselves over and over again to help ourselves get better.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I think I'd be in the same boat as you if I was less of a pushover. I hate it when hubby insists he will feel better after eating something (and if it was a piece of toast or some rice, I might agree, but usually it's a double monster burger with chili cheese bacon fries) but I can't get him to not eat it. Oh well.

I think my hardest part is that I try to do it all by myself...I don't like to tell people for fear of looking like an idiot.

My parents are probably the only people to really know the extent of my phobia, though most people I know well know I'll do almost anything not to v*. I do think most people would not be understanding.