Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you in therapy for your emet?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 34.09%
  • No

24 54.55%
  • Maybe soon

7 15.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Are you in therapy for your emet or emet related anxiety, and if you are, is it helping? I'm just starting, I've had 3 sessions. I'm wondering if I will ever get better.

I know I really should be but I'm not sure I'm really willing to do the hard work and do CBT or exposure therapy. IDK, also would have to find somebody who knows I'm emet with Obsessive compulsive traits not depressed, true OCD or just weird. Last therapist tried to blame my problems on my mom and on my religious beliefs, so I guess that's my excuse. Crap on that I say! I imagine if I worked at it I could find someone qualified and compassionate in this town but again am I honestly ready to face this head on? IDK.

The lady I'm seeing is very sympathetic and seems to really understand the phobia...and the issues underneath it.
    She already said we wouldn't have to do any hardcore exposure or desensitization...just working to uncover the traumatic memories and get around them.

The woman I'm seeing seems real great. She knows it's not about exposure, but learning to think differently about it. I think it's been helping, but only time will tell. I feel optimistic, though.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Maybe I do need to do something about it. I take lexapro for OCD/Obsessive traits supposedly, but nothing beyond that. This phobia has really gotten bad in the last 2 weeks or so, really its been a rough few months since my last v* incident in December.

I am and it's helping.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

im hoping to get into it and try it, good luck to everyone!

I'm waiting for a letter from the hospital to go for CBT but don't know if i'll go cos too embarassed to tell ym employers about it and would obviously need a couple of hours off for each appointment...will see...hopefull they can do something in the evenings? Hope so!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm going for an appointment with a psychologist on Thursday. I'm really scared about it, for many reasons - one of those being that I CANNOT say the v* word out loud, so how do I say what I'm scared of? I'm also scared of what I'm gonna have to do. But I think I'm more scared of being stuck like this forever, haha.

Yes. I was in hospital in 2007 for the phobia and it helped a lot. It in no way cured me, just helped me to live with it.

I was briefly but I quit. It wasn't helping me. I didn't like the therapist's approach, and I think he misdiagnosed me as having panic disorder / agoraphobia, which I feel is not the case. It wasn't helpful and I usually walked out of sessions feeling worse off than I did when I went in. Personally, I am an introverted person, and I felt like there was so much pressure on me to guide the sessions, it just freaked me out and I couldn't handle it.

has anyone tried hypnotherapy? i guess it would really depend on the hypnotherapist but..i am considering it.

therapy won't help me personally but maybe some of that hypno stuff would.

I've just begun therapy, and I am hopeful. Have only had one session so far....

I've been seeing a psychiatrist since 2005. It took a while for me to feel comfortable enough to tell her about my emet. She does not believe in exposing me to v* at all. I'm not nearly as bad as I was when I started seeing her so she's definitely doing something right.

It's helped some. I also see a phychiatrist..
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I haven't been to therapy. I want to become a clinical therapist when I get older, so I really should go. 1. To help me fear of V*. 2. To ask the therapist some questions about their job!

I've considered it, but I don't really have the money for it. I also have made so much progress on my own, I want to see if I can continue

You may find these links helpful!

I take medication and have them monitored, (for depression and obsessive thoughts,) but not therapy currently - although I have before. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I went to two therapist and I didn't see how they would help me.

I am in therapy. Other therapists I've used in the past have tried hypnotherapy on me, which failed miserably.

My current therapist focuses mainly on exposure - she believes it is the best way to help cope with specific phobia. It has been the toughest therapy I've EVER had to go through by far [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img], but I feel good knowing that it seems to be helping. I started out with very very basic exposure (eg, hearing my therapist make fake vomit noises). Gradually moved on to watch videos of spitting up/v*ing milk, which was hard for me at first.

Now? I'm able to watch several videos a day (20 minutes worth) of older kids/adults v*ing! The other day I saw a little boy in the supermarket who looked very pale, was crying and clutching his stomach, and instead of freaking and running to the next aisle I thought "maybe he is going to "v"? I hope he is alright" and watched him just to make sure (!!!) No more v*-related nightmares either It's been VERY hard work but SO worth it so far!
    "People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."

Default Re: Are you in therapy-and is it helping?

I'm not in terapy but I hope I'll be soon, when I go to college. And I hope it will help.

i've been to a few therapists in the past few years, and it helped a bit. thing is, i'm really open with friends and family, but when it came to therapists i just closed up, like i just did not want them to know about my life, phobias anything. i've been on medication for about a year which has helped a bit more, but am getting interested in trying hypno.

I answered no, because I'm not currently in therapy. I did, however, have three sessions of hypnotherapy that changed my life.

You may find these links helpful!