Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Do you think you’ll ever be cured?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 31.34%
  • No

21 31.34%
  • Doesn’t seem so now, but you never know.

25 37.31%

Realistically thinking, preferably not in a self-doubting/depressed mood, do you feel like you could ever overcome this phobia? Or does the situation seem completely hopeless for you?
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I voted for no, mainly because I know that "exposure" does not help me and I don't want to take daily medications for my anxiety. I've had "it" happen to me several times within the past ten years, and that has not lessened my fear at all (besides the 1-2 hour immunity I get right after it happens). The only thing I can do is try to lessen the anxiety when there is no reason for it to be there.
    ~ Natalie

I sincerely hope one day I'll be cured...I hate living like this. It is awful. day to day I am getting more depressed.

I'm pretty sure the next time I do v* (as long as it's not a crazy stomach bug type) I will be cured.
    Until then, I am always in fear.

it really dosent see like it now. were a posotive bunch arent we!!

I put yes because without the hope of being cured its too much to think about FOREVER feeling this fear. I think we can ALL be cured [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I really do believe I can and will be. I've come leaps and bounds so far.

I think that even if my emet was cured, I would just develop a new phobia or generalized anxiety.
    ~ Natalie

I have dealt with my anxiety so I no longer fear vomiting everyday, now it is just specifically regarding if i feel sick. I know I will freak out when i do finally get ill but after I will be fine and know that it was no big deal.

I don't know if I'll ever be 100% ok with it but as long as it's not stopping me live any aspect of my life and as long as I keep trying to beat it I know I will eventually.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I dont think i'll ever be cured. I've had emet for about 10 years now (and i'm only 18), and i've been on anxiety medicine for about 3 years. I still feel sick multiple times a day, and I always have to sit near the door in class. I also always have to have a plastic bag in my purse and a bottle of water. If i have a stomach ache, I wont even go. Anytime I go anywhere I always have to make an 'escape plan' to make myself feel better. I have to think that if i got sick, where i would do it if i could escape or not.

I've voted for "yes" because I hope.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

no. is what i voted.

i do not think its impossible to beat this phobia, but at the sametime, i think for the Emet them self, its allmost, or is impossible to some extent.

i believe exposure therapy would be the best way.

i could be very wrong, im not claiming 'i'm right' or anything.

but i think exposure would work, if you consistently faced the fear everyday for a few days, or even a couple weeks.

but of course, hardly any emet is gonna be up for that. it takes alot of courage or braveness to do that. something iv contemplated a lot. but just can't see my self picking up the courage to do it.

my opinion is based on no help from any proper therapist in dealing with phobias.

do i have hope? not really.. my biggest interests in dealing with this phobia, is learning techniques to battle anxiety and panic. because this phobia is pretty much installed in our brains, it seems programmed - when we feel S* our brain or amygadala tells us to be scared/panic.

i think to 'unprogram' this reaction, would mean destabilizing panic/anxiety with techniques when going through nausea, and then being able to v* without being scared.

why do i believe in this? because the only time i werent scared to v*, was when i was really drunk. it felt like what i could imagine as an experience for a normal person being. i was s* and i werent panicing or having anxiety, it just happened, and i felt great the next day.

some how we have to 'train' or program that amygadala to stop making us panic etc when we feel/be S*.

and i think that would be the way to cure most if not all phobias.

they are most likely created (phobias) and programmed in our minds by bad experiences.

i probably sound like the guy from linden method, but thats just my opinion on it, and i haven't actually tried the linden method, but i am seriously considering it, because it seems to give techniques in stopping or dealing with anxiety/panic.

i think scientists need to make tablets which stop the amygadala from sending signals to make us panic. this could be abused though (this use of medication if it does exist)

but if it wsa out there and worked, im certain i'd be emet free. but also probably fearless. lol

No - and even my doctor said i'll never be cured, he said the best I can hope for is to learn techniqies to control the panic and to control it and not the other way round, but to accept it will always be there.

I'm quite happy with that, I just don't ever want to get housebound by it again, i've been normal for so long and am slipping back a bit, not alot, but like i had a panic attack in tescos at the weekend which hasn't happened for years (apart from one i had in the chopping centre a few days after getting noro in december) so want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse again.

I had CBT for anxiety years ago and mentioned the emet to the counsellor who did teach me techniques which definitely helped, and I KNOW them still I just need to be told again cos I can dish out advice to others but I can't use it on myself - really stupid.

xmdslatx - v* unfortunately does not cure you of emet, well it does for about 5 minutes then that amigdala thing overides it and you 're back to square one really quickly. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Do you think you’ll ever be cured?

I hope one day i will..i pray a lot so i belive in it :/
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

No.

Even if it's possible, I'm limited to the support my local cmht can provide. According to them, there's nothing wrong with me.

Yes, because I went 21 years with an incredibly mild form of this phobia and I know I will get back there.

Yes, because I've set my mind on it and come so far. I'm nearly there now

Emma, you aren't limited to the support of others in a certain area. You have us, as well as the internet at your disposal. Most importantly, you have yourself. I set my mind to make sure this phobia didn't run my life, and with that mindset I've come so far. I went to hypnotherapy (Who I found on my own, no referral) because I wanted external help. It helped me a ton, but only because I found him and asked him for help. If I hadn't gone digging and chosen to stop being scared, I'd never be where I am today

Don't give up, there is hope!
    Last edited by asianeko; 09-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.

You may find these links helpful!