Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I haven't seen any topics about that so far. I have 2 cats (no kids yet) and it's something I have to deal with occasionally.

As you can see this is my first post. I've been reading the forums for a few months and it's amazing how similar all of our stories are. I used to think I was the only person in the world that went through these things. I planned on writing my story but it will be really long and I'm not ready right now. It's 1:00 in the morning here and I have to work tomorrow.

Let's just say I wish I had this forum 10 years ago when this phobia was running/ruining my life. I'm better now but not cured. But more about that later when I write my autobiography.

So what about people with pets? How do you deal with that? Up until a few years ago my mother always lived nearby so when *it* happened she would come over and clean it up for me. I would just throw paper towels over it and try to forget about it, although it would haunt me the entire day. Now she doesn't live nearby and I have to deal with it. You would think I'm dealing with hazardous/deadly chemicals by the way I over-react.

Unfortunately a couple of times I stepped in *it* in the middle of the night and I'm sure you can imagine how I freaked out. Jumping through the house on one foot into the bathroom where I would stick the *dirty* foot in the bathtub, rinse it off, then douse it with bleach or any other chemical I could find. I would have cut off my foot if it were an option. Then I wouldn't take a bath in the tub for a couple of months, let alone step on the contaminated place on the floor.

And that's just 2 cats. What will I do when I have kids someday??

Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. I've only confided my phobia in a few people ever and nobody has every understood.

I have one cat, and I COMPLETELY freak out if I happen to hear her start that *glut, glut, glut, HEH! HEH!* sound sequence. Usually by the second *glut* I'm leaping out of bed, grabbing her by the scruff of her neck and throwing her out of the room. ANYWHERE BUT ON THE CARPET!!!

After she's "done" it, it's not quite as bad as human v* for me, because there isn't such a strong vile smell. Catfood + a bit of ick, that I can handle, though I have to use roughly eighteen sheets of paper towel before I will bring myself to pick it up. Ugh, and heaven forbid, if it's still WARM...

I've stepped in it too and ohmygod it's like the end of the world. I won't "touch" anything with the foot that's dirty until I've thoroughly washed it, which means a lot of hopping if I'm not near the bathroom. And for hours afterwards, I'll imagine that I still feel the slimy stuff clinging to my feet-- in fact, my feet are cringing now just thinking about it.

If I ever stepped in HUMAN v*, I literally don't think I would EVER feel clean again.

Welcome to the site, I'm glad you've been browsing around and found it helpful!
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

I have a cat who v* all the time. If she is going to do it she will about 2 or 3 minutes after she eats. She makes that horrid sound before she does it so I always know ahead of time. It does not bother me to clean it up though. I'm so used to it. It's a pain because I constantly have to clean the carpet but I love her so I can deal with it.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

There was another thread about this before and I was amazed that a lot of
    emets don't seem that bothered about animal v* but for me it really freaks
    me out when my dog does it. Afterwards I don't want to go anywhere near
    him and it really revolts me that the house or car has been 'contaminated'. I
    love animals but it took years before I plucked up courage to get a dog
    because of it. Before that I only had rabbits which are great because they
    cannot v*.

Wish I was a rabbit.

I have 2 cats also... it grosses me out a little, but not too bad. I can listen to it and watch them do it just fine. Hahha..kinda strange. But I have a 9 month old and all i've had to deal with so far was 2 different v* episodes (both were not virus related, he has a milk intolerance) and the normal baby spit up. I am TERRIFIED when he gets his first real bug. I'm dreading that day...

It is so funny that you mention this...I used to never be able to see, hear, anything from the cats. I used to have to leave it or cover it with a paper towel and wait until hubby got home (YUK!!). But just today, I found a "present" in the laundry room, and I needed to do laundry. So I got brave and with the help of my 10 year old daughter (who knows mostly about this phobia), I cleaned it up!! I felt proud and thanked her for helping. Still gross but definitely easier now...

Not very worrisome from my dog because I can't catch it from her ordinarily. Not saying I like it or I'd want her to kiss me immediately afterwards but not like dealing with human v*.

My big dog v* a few times a month.I think he gets into something in the yard.

Luckily, He heaves before he v*.That gives me enough time to find something to put under him so I don't have a mess to deal with.

I usually turn away but pet v* does not bother me as much as human v* does.

Anything human actually bothers me..lol...I can touch animal blood and touch a dead animal but freak out of I touch human blood and can NEVER touch a dead human.

Really weird.

I've never had pets because my mother's zoophobic, but I really want a dog and maybe a cat once I'm on my own, but I often worry whether or not I'd be able to handle their v*. I'm just hoping I'll be cured by then.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

It's hilarious now when I think about it - I can watch the gory scenes in movies while eating and seeing blood nor needles scare me, but Human V* - Aiyiyi!, I just crumble. We have a little zoo here at home - 1 dog, 2 cats and 1 Guinea Pig. We always get some kind of Animal V* in the house (one of cats is a huge contributor) and most of the time, I can clean it up, but sometimes I just leave it "hidden" underneath some paper towels for the husband to clean when he gets home LOLs....oh I am such a freak!

One thing that's a big help is dogs at least, don't seem afraid or upset concerning v*. Also not usually a huge mess like when a person does it, usually mainly a bunch of saliva and a few pieces of food, not pleasant but not traumatic either.

I used to be absolutely terrified of a pet doing it - almost as much as a human. Well, not quite I guess. But I would totally freak out and it would ruin my day.

Now I just calmly walk the dog to the door, or move the kitty to tile if I can, and then pet them or whatever and clean it up. As I write this, I'm still amazed by this and can't believe the power of the human brain to heal itself.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It used to really turn my stomach; I haven't had a pet for about 5 years now and can't really tell you how I feel about it now (although I'm sure my new kitty will let me know soon). But it seems like while I think that a human v*ing is like dying, when my cat did it, it didn't seem much more of a big deal than an icky sneeze. We'll see.
    Visit my handmade jewelry blog!

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

once my dog v* on the floor i was so freaked out i was going to get what my dog had
    i called the vet and asked if i could catch it
    the lady was very confused and
    thought i was an idiot XD
    but i found out, no you cant ^.^
    uhh not sure if that has to do with the post you made
    but i felt like sharing it

welcome

I'm Nicole

I have 2 dogs now but I also foster dogs for a breed rescue so I always have random strange dogs coming in and out my house. Their v* doesn't bother me. I mean of course, it's unpleasant and gross but it doesn't cause me to TOTALLY freak out. I just clean it up and move on.

However the reason for the vomiting can be scary. I've had a dog once who had swallowed a piece of a toy and it was causing an intestinal blockage, so he would V*. The fact that it cost several thousand dollars to open him up and remove the toy scared me. And thinking that I may have to pay that much $$ again scares me... but not the actual V*.

I have a shih tzu who v* all the time. I know I cant catch it so it doesnt bother me. I also have kids so even though I do "freak out" on the inside, I manage to always take care of them when they are sick which is about 1-2 times per year, which still is way too much for me, LOL. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

My cat luckily doesn't make any sound before she v*, so it doesn't bug me. Plus, she usually does it on the linoleum or tiled floor. I just leave it there and wait for one of my parents to clean it up.

However, I have cleaned it up, and while it's nasty, my cat eats dry food so there's no smell to speak of.

And about stepping in pet v*: never. My cat got sick on the bed once and my mom sat in it, though.

It grosses me out because its gross (duh right?) but it has never made me panicky.

when i was young and my grandma's dog would v*, i would totally freak
    out. now it doesn't bother me at all. i've watched my cats v* without
    even flinching. and i clean up after them too. when i think of this
    progress, it gives me hope that i will one day be free of this phobia.

I really don't mind it as much as when people v*. The only part I can't stand is the sound. I've wanted to be some sort of doctor, so I opted for vet school--v* pets, I can learn to deal with. v* people, no way.

I volunteer at an intake and rehab center for an animal shelter, though, so I'm exposed to it more often than just at home with my dogs. I DO get real bothered by it if it's an enormous amount (most cats/dogs at that site are sick, and some of them v* A LOT).

On the other hand, I recently had foster kittens, and it wasn't so bad when they v*. Though, in all sincerity, when they did v*, they were only about 3 weeks old.

I once saw a cat throwing up a hairball, it was a little gross mostly due to the sound and the way the cat looked as he brought it up, retching. It was disturbing. I have a bunny myself and luckily bunnies don't get sick like that :P hehe..

I used to run into the other room when the dogs did it, but since my family got a new dog that I have been mostly responsible for, and he follows me around all the time, I've pretty much gotten used to it. plus I work at an animal hospital, so I see it pretty much everyday.

canine parvovirus is the worst thing though! It's like even more contaigious among dogs than humans with norovirus, and they usually die from it! it causes severe V* and other digestive problems. it's kinda like rabies though--don't see it very often. it's really scary when we do though, because even wearing the same clothes around other dogs after being in the same ROOM with a dog that has it can get other dogs sick! that's the only time when I really hate dogs v*

Doesn't bug me...I'm a dog groomer so it happens everyday lol
    AND..it's a totally different sound, smell, look. And as soon as they do it, they are back to normal right away, it's kinda amusing lol
    JAMIE DAWN

yeah, most dogs don't even care. they're kinda like "um, what just happened? well, that was wierd, but let's get on with life!" wish I could do that![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Hopefully everyone's dog is vaccinated against parvo...shame on me, I think mine is a couple months behind on her vaccine, but there is a good reason...loong story.

My dad is such a ass! today he was playing with my dog and he v*.I at this time had a stomach ache and was in no mood to clean it..especially this one it was disgusting.

(Whenever my dog i about to v* I usually put something underneath him so I don't have to clean up the mess.)

Anyways I told him I couldn't clean it so he made me hold the bag while he was scooping it up and all the while going into detail about the appearance of it.I was telling him to shut up but he just laughed and went on.

Some people can be so damn immature! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

whenever the cats start making the gagging noise I throw them outside. I
    usually have about 7 seconds to do this. If they don't get outside in time I'm
    usually not bother to pick it up. I've even stepped in it before and it didn't
    bother me. I just can't watch it actually happen.

I also have rabbits but they can get sick. (Luckiest animals ever) [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81
    Hopefully everyone's dog is vaccinated against parvo...shame on me, I think mine is a couple months behind on her vaccine, but there is a good reason...loong story.
    Oh, are you harboring a dog that's escaped from an experimental labratory? Is it a genetically engineered golden retriever that has super-human intellegence. Are you afraid if you take it to the vet they'll see the dog's id number tatooed on the inside of it's ear? Haha. Everyone should read Koontz' Watchers. Anyway. I HATE dog v* but not as much as human and I'm not phobic of cat v*.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

It's weird..Pet v* doesn't seem to smell as bad as human v*.

Maybe that's why I'm not bothered by it much.

But then again..I just don't like anything to do with humans.

I can touch animal blood but not human blood.
    I touched a dead dog but cannot touch a dead human (well technically we poked it with a stick when it was in a freezer..same difference lol)

It doesn't bother me at all. I can even clean it up, though I do get upset when they do it on the carpet.