Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: ipecac

i guess this could be considered a really stupid question in a emetophobia forum, but has anyone tried this? if you don't know what it is, its a syrup that induces vomiting.

i want to know if it just causes your stomach to physically make you s* uncontrollably. but without the nausea.

i am considering practicing being S* everyday with water, but i don't wanna use this stuff if it makes it happen with nausea.

nausea makes my fear initiate, where as if i just suddenly be s*, i can handle that better, i figure if i can get used to this, then whenever i get nausea or need to be s*, i would rather just end the horrible nausea by making my self s* with the fingers in the throat.

I'm not certain, but I think it does cause a lot of n* because it irritates the stomach wall just like the SV does. The n* makes non-emetophobes get sick very quickly, but I've heard horror stories about emetophobes taking ipecac syrup to try and get over their fear, but it ends up not making them v* (they just feel extremely ill and panicky for several hours).

It's something I don't think I could ever bring myself to try...
    ~ Natalie

oh okay, well you have answered my question, im definitley not trying ipecac.

damn it, i need to find a way to beat this f*k*n phobia.

heyy kyle
    i haven't spoken to you before but welcome to the site!

It sounds weird but being sick isn't the bullseye instant cure to this phobia. I was sick twice last year and, albeit, the fear is going away (i consider myself a recovering emetphobic), it hasn't gone away completely so i would advise you not to resort to methods of inducing vomit - you will only be disappointed by the results!

The tip to overcoming this s.o.b of a phobia is to knowing how to control your anxiety. Have you heard the phrase "living well is the greatest revenge"?
    Well, I live by it! I show this phobia who is boss by living my life as full as possible. Like, for example, i have just spent a week by myself in barcelona spain which i never would have considered doing a year or two ago and I look back on it now and i have no regrets! I enjoyed it so much that i'm probably gonna go back next year.

i see not only were you bornw in UK but you are also a 1989 kid too lol!

take it easy buddy! x
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hi party boi, nice to meet you, im admire your courage of how your getting through this thing. i hope someday soon i can summon all the power in me to do the same.

i actually was sick a few months ago, but i didnt really have nausea, or i couldnt feel it (too drunk) and it just came up, no anxiety, no panic, it just happend, i kind of experienced how it feels to be sick like a normal person. (although the nausea was absent, so was the fear, anxiety and panic)

unfortunatley nausea, and the prolonged build up and fear, makes me emetophobic all over again. and afater that incident i had a nausea episode. i didnt think vomiting would cure my fears or anxiety, but i was hoping that if i could atleast get used to the act of bringing it up, then i could end the suffering and panic in future by just making my self sick.

i really appreciate your post, i will look for more ways of beating this c*of a* phobia.

Yipes, Kyle-- don't do that! Whether sticking your finger down your throat or using a med like ipecac to induce v*ing, it's an INCREDIBLY bad idea. Physically, it's extremely harmful, and emotionally, it's not going to do much!

If you're looking for exposure methods, every so often I'll just youtube v* clips and make myself watch them. There are also links to that sort of thing in the treatments portion of this site, from what I understand. I know the phobia is a pain in the *ss, but making yourself puke every day is NOT the answer.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

If you are hell bent on making yourself sick I would do the finger down the throat routine before ipecac.
    Even that is not a good idea though its bad for you.

i dont know if i have enough courage to do the fingers, i'd rather my body forced it upon me suddenly n quickly.

hate the damn phobia, i don't know about the rest of the guys, but when i get nausea or i am close to being sick, i just become a complete woose, its like my balls just dissapear, i cant be a man in this phobia!

I usually don't post on here anymore but I read this and just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Please don't do this, Kyle. It could traumatize you further and hinder any progress you've made. I highly recomend you talk to Doug(gumdropper1 think is his s/n) about this as he's talked to many people who've done this. I pretty sure he's archived a few stories about people who have been cured of their phobia by v* but this was more like a final step, not an only step. I know some emets who take ipecac don't even v*, they just heave and feel n*.

Please read some of these stories before you do something so drastic.

Doug's archived stories
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I used to think like you... i was sick last year (i was drunk too!) and it happened so suddenly and was over so quickly that it didn't bother me. however, i think being sick due to alcohol and being sick due to a stomach bug are different things so that is why i generally fear getting stomach bugs more than getting drunk.

i also used to think that if i were sick once, i would adjust to the act and would get used to it but it still feels unnatural to me. i still believe that living your life to the full is the best way to beat this phobia - take a trip abroad, learn to do something new, take up a new hobby.......... the list goes on etc. lol

ISAIAH 41:10

Wow, Maddie, is that photo recent? You are really beautiful!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Thanks, Doug! Yeah, it's recent.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I thought the same way as you, I thought that if I could just get used to it I can handle it better when it really happens. But, it is so different. I did this, thinking it would work. So if anyone wants to try it, I would not suggest it. I guess when you make the stupid mistakes yourself you learn the hard way. I can not say it made me any worse, I do not think. Just did not make me any better that is for sure. I just went through a whole lot of suffering for nothing, and it was a whole lot making yourself do something you hate. But go for it if you think it will help. I was really dissappointed it did not for me, then maybe I would not be feeling this way now. Oh and in case anyone or you were still thinking of trying ipecac, I do not think it will help. I had an experience similar, up all night getting sick and trust me it does not work. Maybe for a moment, but hey it comes back, for me at least. Basically, I want to stop anyone from making the same mistake as me...it sucks. I get sick more than a normal person because of myself and I do not handle it like a normal person at all. Go figure.

thanks Natalie

Ive seen the videos on youtube where they use tht stuff it isnt nive put it tht way!

I think the answer has to be a change in our thinking. When I was 15 I had a pretty nasty SV hit me good one night, I was terrified but at the same time pleased with myself for tu like a normal person, but it was even scarier than I remembered it to be. After it was all over I thought I was cured....but as a few months went by, I went right back to being emet. The last time I v* was around Christmas of last year and it was a pretty mild virus only a couple heaves and 1 v*, but since then my phobia has been quite nasty. For me making myself sick would do no good, it doesn't matter if I'm sick or not I just need to think differently...not sure how, but if you are THAT determined to face this phobia I'd think you should print out the emetophobia FAQ by Sage and find a good therapist and show them that info, tell them THIS is my fear!! Funds permitting, otherwise I think there are good self help sources on Sage's site. GL

Kyle,
    I agree with the others that inducing v* is not a "cure". The phobia is a symptom of the anxiety and eliminating a symptom doesn't rid yourself of the cause.

In addition, it's not healthy to repeatedly induce vomiting. The acid in the v* can damage the esophagus if done excessively. That's one of the many problems Anorexics have.Edited by: centipede

Friend me on Facebook

I wouldnt do it. Ive heard of people getting sick and then thinking it wasnt all that bad and then the fear comes back two fold. Maybe try a therapist or something to ease into a way to deal with your emet. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

Yes, I agree with everyone else too. I can paraphrase 8B
    I think making yourself sick as a last step would be good, but since you haven't really changed your way of thinking (you say you don't want the n*, but it is actually that n* that is bothering you!), it will probably not help (or it might make you worse).

One step that really helped me tons was figuring out when I was n* from actually feeling sick, and when it was just anxiety. Thinking back now, I don't think I have felt honestly ill for about a year! Breaking the anxiety-n* cycle is such a great tool. Try Googling therapeutic (or abdominal) breathing - since your diaphragm is near your stomach, it really helps me 'feel' if my stomach REALLY hurts or if it's all in my head.