Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: does your emet anxiety raise during pms?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 47.62%
  • No

7 11.11%
  • Sometimes

25 39.68%
  • Rarely

1 1.59%

This week I noticed that my emet fear has tippled and was wondering if other females have the same issue during "that time of the month"

I voted for "Sometimes" because I only get PMS a few times a year. When it does happen, though, I tend to become more irritable and I know that can contribute to my anxiety occasionally. What's much worse than the PMS though is the actual period. Since I got my first one the day after my 12th birthday, I've had horrible, excruciating cramps every month with my period. They cause me a lot of (real) n* and I have even v*ed from them before.

I used to take birth control for that, but I stopped because the side-effects (weight gain, mood swings, MIGRAINES WITH N*, etc.) were worse than the cramps themselves, and the pill didn't even get rid of the cramps completely. Now when I know my period is about to come I just start popping ibuprofen like Skittles (with food of course) and I am usually OK.
    ~ Natalie

wow, I was always lucky enough to not get bad cramps.

Every other period or so they will get semi intense but nothing pain meds can't fix [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] (excluding one day I wanted to die because even a motrin 800 didn't make them go away!) [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

I voted yes. Because I have really bad periods I experience horrible cramps as well as n*.But I refuse take the pill because I have heard the side effects can be v*ting.

my anxiety goes up but I dont get n* or cramps.

I have some cramps and n* right now. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I took some Advil though, so hopefully they'll be going away soon.
    ~ Natalie

I always feel worse the week before my period, and tend to get n*, so my
    emet is definitely bad during those times. But I always find it easier to cope
    with my anxiety, because I can blame my n* on PMS.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Yeah, I always find it much easier to deal with the n* caused by menstrual issues than n* caused by problems in the digestive system. I guess it is because even though I am n*, I don't really have any other stomach discomfort like I would if I had a SV or something. It's just the pain in my uterus that makes me feel ill, and once the pain goes away I stop feeling n*.

I don't usually get panic attacks from the n* caused by cramps as long as it is not severe.
    ~ Natalie

I put no because sometimes my stomach does feel upside down during that week, but I don't worry about it because I know it's just from my period.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

my stomach alwasy feels wierd about that time, but the only time I've ever v* from my period was when I took Ibuprofen at 5 in the morning on an empty stomach. I was like ten or eleven years old at the time. that was pretty awful, especially because there were other people in the room and they didn't even seem to care.

My stomach is also weird before a period - like now - it's due today but has yet to come grr.

Period pains etc have never made me feel really n* but I get bloated before my period which induces mild, controllable nausea. Ginger tea helps.

Also my PMT makes me crave lots of food, so I eat loads and then feel sick because I'm over-full...vicious cycle really.

I said sometimes, because it's hard to tell whether it's actually my anxiety getting worse or just worrying because I sometimes get really severe n* that comes and goes really quickly, regardless of cramping.

i put sometimes because my anxiety levels sometimes heighten when its that time of the month....but i can tell when its just from that or when my birth control makes me n*!!!
    ****Lauren****

Yes, for sure.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's crazy how much worse my anxiety is just before and during my period. I can go for weeks and be fine and then a day or two before my period the panic hits me like a ton of bricks. It's not like that every month, but most.
    Elizabeth

It sometimes does, depending if I've had enough calcium throughout the month. (getting enough Ca reduces PMS) If not, I get n*ed for a few days before I start, so I take vitamins with extra calcium. Usually I'm more on edge, anxiety wise, around that time of the month and can become agitated more easily.
    \"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that\'s the essence of inhumanity.\"
    -George Bernard Shaw

My anxiety goes up, I get bad gas and my stomach gurgles a lot because of the gas. Ugh I'm going through it right now.

Omg, YES! Ugh. It's horrible, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Even my non-emet friends tell me that they often experience horrible n* & d* during that time of the month.

I had an IUD put in about 6 years ago, and my periods instantly vanished, along with all of my PMS symptoms! It was heaven. But after getting a new IUD (same brand, Mirena, just a new one since my 5 years were up), I've been having terrible symptoms once again.

However, it's been about 7 weeks since I last had a period, so I'm hoping this Mirena just took some "getting used to", and I'll soon be back to a period-free, PMS-free life. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I get horrible cramps that make me feel ill -- which
    makes me worry about being sick.. and I hate periods
    because I don't feel clean. You know?