Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

as far as emet?

i cant watch a person do it, or do it myself. and god forbid i DO v* then my mom better be with me! my emet surfaced as a child when i used to MAKE myself v* on purpose. once i realized that when i got a tummy lurgey it wasnt in my control, then i got my fear. also when i get tummy sickness i get it BAD. i v*ed like 12 or 13 times in 2 days. i never eat too much, and wash my hands all the time when im in shcool. i dont really like it if my pets do it, but i can clean up after as long as i dont have to touch it. ive figured out a wonderful way to accomplish this. you take 2 peices of cardboard, put um together, and whalah! a super duper throwup scooper! . babies or small children is fine with me, just as long as its not ON me. i think that if i dont overcome this as a parent, i will make my hubby do the dirty work. thanks for all the replys! (in advance of course)
    -Julia

i have no problems with others being sick and i have no problem vomiting due to alcohol.
    if i vomit due to an sv*, im absolutely terrified!
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neat thread. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am scared to v* and I am scared of other people v*. Virus or not, it scares me. I drink but not to the point of v* because that is alcohol poisoning and you can die from that. I don't mind cat v* but I am terrified of dog v*. I will fight n* as much as I can. I have never "given in". I'm proud to say I'm not longer terrified when I hear someone cough. I worked so hard on that. I'm also proud to say that just seeing a pile of v* no longer terrifies me. I also used to be afraid of kissing and such because of the spread of germs but the good outweighs the bad there, right?[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

i'm scared of other people v*, but mostly because i'm scared that i might v* too. But i hate this fear because it feels so selfish, like i don't mind others getting sick as long as i'm okay. I don't want to be selfish, honest, its just the fear. [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

I'm totally terrified of other people v* for any reason.

I was terrified of myself vomiting and MORTIFIED if someone else did - until I was about 25 years old when I got some good cognitive-behavioral therapy in a group and I got much better with doing it myself, but mostly I just made my mind up that I WOULDN'T. So then ...as time went on the phobia of seeing someone else do it got WAY WORSE. Then I went through intensive treatment 7-5 years ago and now I'm just not afraid of anything. But I do get a "shock" if I see someone else do it and I still get nervous when I fly or go to the dentist - don't ask me why - but I take Ativan on those two occasions and I'm fine.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I'm terrified of myself doing it, I'll fight it to the bitter end and do ANYthing to distract myself. I am also absolutely stark raving panicked about other people doing it, if someone looks sick or pale or says anything about tummy upset, it triggers my flight-or-flight instincts and I get super nervous. I can't STAND the thought of someone doing it ON me.

And it's not because of viruses or anything-- it's the actual substance, the mess, the smell, the sound. Drunk, motion sickness, allergic reaction, gastric acid or stomach bug, I FREAK OUT for them all. Pets included.

I also constantly watch out for it. If I know someone's vomited outside, I have to go look, to see where it is, how big the splash is, if I have to walk by it to get to my car... all of that. If I go in a restroom, I check the stalls CAREFULLY for any trace of it before using one. I always glance into trash cans as I walk by, just to check. I never get too close, but I have to LOOK for it at all times.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

Quote Originally Posted by happyteacher
    I'm totally terrified of other people v* for any reason.

I am terrified of myself v*ing (especially in public, but I'll get panicky even at home sometimes) and other people doing it if it's something that I can catch too. I can usually handle other people v*ing if it's like from drugs/alcohol/something else I can't catch, just as long as I can look away and cover my ears.

Videos and pictures of someone v*ing don't particularly bother me, and neither does v* on the ground as long as I don't have to get too close to it.
    ~ Natalie

I am terrified to v*.Particularly projectile v*.It just sucks! it hurts and is messy.I was able to clean up after myself but if it was someone else..forget it!

I do not like the smell,sound or visual aspect of someone else v*.I wouldn't be able to clean it up.I've never be scared for myself up until last year but I have always been stand offish of other peoples v*.

Infant spit up doesn't bother me as much and I was able to clean up my nephew's v*.

Videos and pics don't bother me much as seeing it in person would.

I don't worry too much about other people v* unless I think I can catch it. My brother's gf has some sort of condition where she v* with some regularity...I hate it but it doesn't worry me much. If somebody had noro I'd be scared. I'm terrified of doing it myself particularly in public but even at the house still terrified, sad to say.

I'm scared of myself v* and I'm scared of others doing it, both the whole lot, sight, smell etc and the fear that it might be something I can catch. I have no problems with infant, milky v* though.

my case of emet is not as severe as most of you. a lot of times at school i get panic n* from air inside my stomach. once i burp, i am absolutly fine. my emet dosent keep me up at night, BUT i did not sleep in my own room or bed until i was 12 due to this fear. im just mad because having air in my tummy the freaking out at school causes me to miss classes and stuff.

another question- has anyone tried hypnosis to cure emet? did it work?Edited by: juliab3

My emet used to be very extreme but is currently not that bad.

Used to equally afraid of myself and others...now I'm really only AFRAID of others. (though I will still go to great extremes not to get sick, just not afraid of the act) I have no problems v* if I do get a sv. I give in...actually I control it...I don't wait til it happens, I make it happen.

Actually thats kind of weird because the only reason I'm afraid of others is probably I don't want to catch it, but if I'm not afraid of v* myself then... maybe scared isn't the right word for me anymore. I'm confused. lol

I should probably think about that. I'm afraid of getting a sv* but not so much of v*. I shouldn't be afraid at all darn it!

I guess I'm currently much much better, but still not to the point where I can think of v* like it's "no big deal", it's still a very big deal. I can't look at getting sick or someone else being sick like a normal person would. I hope one day I can though. [img]smileys/smilies_14.gif[/img] Edited by: laylamommy

I dont get anxious when people v* I just get grossed out and it makes me gag. I will just leave the room and feel n*.
    I dont fear doing it I fear doing it in front of other people.

mines getting a little beter and more under control but im scared of
    anyone V* for any reason whatsoever including my self in fact me and
    my step sister share a room when shes here (which is often like every
    day) and last nite we found out she had strep an dive heard that on
    very rare occasions you can v when you have strep let alone having to
    get the dreadful strep test so i slept on the couch and cried my self to
    sleep so now im back in a slump and my room is taken over and as
    soon as she leaves for the doc im going in and lysoling everything and
    my room smells bad cuz the dumbo hasnt brushed her teeth for 3
    freeking days cuz it hurts her humph
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I have got to the point were I have walked past vomit in the street without being too bothered, and have survived whilst others have do it - but if I ever feel even the slightest tinge of something I put on my anti-nausea bands, shove an 'anti-sickness' pill in my mouth, and panic like the world is coming to an end....I can't imagine surviving it if it ever happens to me....I can't even bare being alone, especially not at night...I can't imagine my life not being scared of sickness, even though I can rationalise it greatly... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I think I'd have to say I'm scared of everything. I mean, I don't panic and go to extremes in regards to preventing getting an sv of fp. But I'm terrified of both myself doing it and seeing and hearing others. I'm terrified of seeing v* anywhere, and especially being near it.

I'm not sure where I stand on baby or animal v*, mostly because I've barely been exposed to it, but if someone were to offer to show me it I'd have to say, uh, no.

I think what I'm mostly afraid of is the v* itself, and how it seems to be uncontrollable, like if a person v*s severely or something. I don't know.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I am afraid of all of it. If its a "drunk" sick, then Im OK, cause I KNOW I cant catch drunk.
    Georgi

I am terrified, petrified, mortified, and any other word for scared out of your mind you can think of, of myself throwing up. My biggest problem with other people doing it is even if they're drunk or something and therefore not contagious, I'm terrified just seeing or hearing or smelling them do it would do it to me, and the mere thought freaks me out.

This phobia is stupid, and a HUGE pain, but seriously... I'm completely terrified. I'll say for the millionth time how glad I am for this website, because I feel like much less of a pansy!

Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    I am afraid of all of it. If its a "drunk" sick, then Im OK, cause I KNOW I cant catch drunk.
    Forgot to mention that the cause of the v* isn't a big deal to me. Drunk v* is just as bad as any other kind of v*. If anything it's also very obnoxious because I just can't help but find the idea of getting drunk for fun as obnoxious.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Its me and other people. Im terrified to v, but i think its the feeling before i hate the most when you have to wait. Then if i know someome else is ill, i panic about catching anything, if its just drunk v, then im ok with it.

I fear seeing others vomit. I'm afraid it would make me sick also cause of the sight and smell, but also i just hate watching them get sick, it looks so wickedly disturbing. THey really look unwell when they're sick, i hate sickness and diseases in general.

I am not afraid to vomit myself, but i hate it to the point of hardly ever doing it and somehow most of the time talking my stomach out of doing it.

I have an EXTREME anxiety about OTHER people doing it. Not so much cats, babies and kids below the age of five, but anyone older than that gets my anxiety level sky rocketed. ESPECIALLY the drunk people. Drunk vomit actually makes me really angry because most of the people that vomit from drinking knew they were going to do it and didn't care and just kept drinking after that. Then went and did the exact same thing the next night. That's disgusting to me. I'm not afraid of getting the flu or catching a disease or dying from being sick or anything like that. It just grosses me out and disturbs me greatly to the point of extreme anxiety. And though I do not fear vomiting myself, I DO fear vomiting in public. Mostly because it's embarssing and I don't want to upset anyone else that may have a fear of other people's sick.Edited by: alycat27

my mom HAS to be with me.thats why im scared most of the time
    because she wont always be with me...
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Hmm. I'm up and down. When I'm calm and rational, like now, I feel like I could v* and be fine with it, but the intelligent part of my brain is like, "Who are you trying to kid? You'd be fighting it and panicking."
    Right now I wash my hands a lot and I get little jolts of panic from others saying they feel sick that can develop into a full-blown panic attack. I'm not currently too bad. I mean, I'm a little obsessive but then I always have been.

I'm absolutely petrified of v* myself and of catching an sv* from other people. Im not too bad when it comes to fp* cos i'm careful what i eat and how i cook it but i'm terrified of getting an sv* from a contaminated food preparer.

If I knew 100% that someones v* was caused by something NON-catchy then it would still shake me up and make me feel n* but I'd get over it, but if there was any doubt as to whether it was catchy i would have a proper mega freak out and be obsessed by it for days.

I can't v* indoors and when i got an sv v* all over the garden and couldn't even look at it even though it was mine and just had to wash it away with disinfectant with my eyes shut. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Edited by: paulinek