Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Babysitting

So i babysit for twin 2-yr-olds. I go with their mom to pick them up from preschool each day and take care of them until dinner. Last week the mom told me the boy was up all night, then v** at school. But he was still there! Why wouldn't they send him home? So i had to go with her to pick them up and take care of them. I wanted to cry! He seemed ok but what if he was still contagious? Now the mom has it, and she still had me come over today! I came home and showered right away and took my vitamins and ate a bland dinner. [img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img] Am i the only crazy one?

Nope! Most emetophobes would be afraid in your circumstances. The thing is, and it takes a long journey to really arrive at this - but...you're not in any DANGER. First of all, it's doubtful you'll catch it. But even if you did, and even if you were sick, it would be yucky - even scary - but you'd still be ok. It's not DANGEROUS.
    Your brain plays tricks on you trying to convince you that you're in danger when you're not.
    Try, if you can, to tell yourself this and see if it helps. No matter what, worrying and obsessing now will not make one bit of difference one way or the other as to whether you're sick.

Good luck and take care
    SAGE
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did the other twin catch it at all?

i think the other twin caught it, but it was on the weekend, so i wasnt there.

I worked at a daycare center over the summer a few years ago (no kids were older than 6). One day, this boy was extremely sick, and I felt really bad because I made sure to stay at the opposite end of the room, because he kept v*. And then I kept finding excuses to go outside in between panic attacks. I felt awful, but I knew if I saw or heard him v* I would have completely lost it.

And my mom had a serious sv a month ago. I hid in my room the entire day, leaving only to get food or go to the bathroom (and EVERY time I touched anything, I washed my hands). I scrubbed everything down with alcohol the next day (using hand sanitizer again every time I touched something), and kept washing my hands religiously for a few days, because the infected person is contagious for (I think) 3 days after the onset. Luckily, I never caught it. I was definitely freaked, though.

so about a month has passed now..and i never v* from this incident. but i'm still scared of other instances...

+ I've never babysat before.
    My phobia as one factor and the fact that I don't like kids all that much as another factor.
    I honestly don't know what one should do in such a situation where you are supposed to be in control of a sick child.
    I can hardly control myself if I'm sick!
    I probably would have done the same.
    I probably would have ended up having to excuse myself because I'd of been so paranoid. +
    + \"My musick may seem like ugly , angry, useless noise; but it is what I see in you, and it is precisely what you deserve.\" +

- Rosemary Malign, Noise Artist -