Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hello!

I'm evie16, 22 and living in Manchester sometimes, and staying with my parents in Bolton sometimes...(UK)...
    I've just graduated from University after studying for a BSc in Complementary Medicine and Health Sciences...I think I want to be a counsellor, which means I'll have to study much more...I am currently unemployed, I have had many jobs, and not having anything to do at present seems to have caused a bit of an emet relapse...I don't know if anyone else experiences this, that not being occupied makes the fear worse because there is nothing to distract you...anyway - I'm sure everyone is fed up to the back teeth with fear...
    Im having a rough time at the moment and as lovely as my friends and boyfriend are, they can't and don't really understand the problem, so I'd really appreciate some nice comments from someone!!!!
    Thanks

Oh, I can totally relate.

I've had this stupid phobia since the third grade, but it's never affected me horribly on a day-to-day basis. It was always there, but usually only reared its ugly head if a situation where throwing up suddenly presented itself or seemed a possibility came up.

However! Last May I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, which isn't really supposed to make you feel sick, but I felt like utter crap for two straight months. I also graduated from high school in June and moved out to college two days ago, and since I couldn't find a summer job for only two months, for the last two months I was left with absolutely nothing to do, but sit around, feel sick, and that combined with the regular moving-away anxiety. This fear has NEVER been this bad, doing nothing all summer combined with feeling really sick has turned me into a complete basket case, I swear!

I totally agree with you that not being occupied makes it SO much worse. If I had been busy this summer, I doubt it would have gotten to this point. Ugh!

bless you
    its hard isnt it!
    i opened my emails today and had a job offer, so im pleased, but no im scared ill be anxious and nauseous (or worse!) hen I start....but i cant let this beat me....im sure we'll get ourselves a little bit straighter soon...though its tough knowing that ill probably always be scared s***less of this!

Seriously. I'm kind of afraid that now that it's gotten this bad it'll never be manageable again! The very thought makes me incredibly anxious every single day now, it's ridiculous! I have no idea what I'll be like in the winter now that I live with 8 roommates. Probably a germaphobe extraordinaire! Haha!

But good for you on the job offer, and good for you for being determined not to give in to a silly fear! I was a nervous wreck about moving three hours away from home to come to college, and I still am even now that I'm here, but I knew couldn't miss out on an experience like this because of my ridiculous issue. College classes start on Monday for me and orientation this week has kept me a lot busier and it has been a bit better! Still not back to what it was... but being occupied is definitely a good thing

And I know what you mean about the friends not understanding thing too. Even if they're empathetic they can never quite get it... Not that I blame them, since there's things I don't understand too. But yeah, it's definitely not easy or fun! But hopefully things are looking up for us the paranoid!Edited by: mxw08