Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

In my whole life i can only remember throwing up three times. Once in nursey in a sandpit, the second when i ate too many chicken and noodles and threw up on my moms head (she also suffers from this phobia, its my worse regret even though I had no control over it at the time) and the third in the living room at my nannys house.

I recently read a website with facts about emets and one said that people that do not have normal or regular expeariences of sick whilst young often suffer with a phobia.

So my question is, do you remember being ill as a child much? Or like me can only remember a few occaisions?

same with me... i've only been sick 3 times in my life.
    Once when I had a chest infection, and I was 6 years old.
    Once when I had a stomach bug, and I was 7 years old.
    Once last year when I drank too much alcohol one night, and I was 17 years old.

I have never have any other vomit experience ever!
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

same here!

I was sick A LOT when I was young. My mom said I v* every time I got a fever. It didn't help that my great grandmother thought it was a great idea to give people with a fever ice cream.

I guess I'm the exception.

I barely remember this but my mom tells me when I was 3 I v* in my dad's new car and he got really mad and yelled at me and was a total jerk about it. I'm pretty sure my phobia stems mostly from this event.

I didn't v* much at all as a kid... The only times I remember were when I caught a SV when I was four and again when I was six (this is the event that caused my phobia). I never got carsick or anything like it seemed most other kids did. Then I didn't v* again until high school, when it happened twice during those four years. Things that have made me dry heave only were a few instances of bad menstrual cramps, one time when I got meningitis, and the food poisoning (virus?) I got while I was at uni.
    ~ Natalie

I don't know how much I did it as a kid (I think about normal for a kid) but I've only done it twice in the past 8 or 9 years. (I believe both were period related) except for a very mild stomach virus I caught in february, not even any stomach viruses for 8 or 9 years!

I got a lot of colds, and those led to nosebleeds, but didn't actually v* a lot as a kid. Maybe three or four times.

I didn't v* too little or too much as a kid. I think pretty average, like once a year from the ages of 5 to 12. I'm pretty sure each time was a virus, too because my brother and/or sister would v* also, either the same day or a few days before or later or whatever.

I can tell you I was scared to death every single time though! I remember having panic attacks and hyperventilating and then finally v*ing and even though it wasn't fun, I knew it wasn't scary, either. But soon after the intense fear would come back.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Not a whole lot. My brother and sister were sick quite a bit. Even when I got the chicken pox I barely had them at all. My brother and sister were pukey, feverish, constant cold getting kids. I wasn't really like that. My sister was constantly car sick.

Even now if I feel nausiated I talk myself out of it 99% of the time unless I really, really, REALLY think it might make me feel better to be sick and even that is really tough.

I puked three times that I remember as a kid and there is one other time I don't remember. I last puked when I was 10. Doug

P.S. I think I wrote the site you mentioned. It is linked below.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

That's an interesting idea.

I'm pretty sure I've only thrown up maybe 5-7 times in my life. All of those were divided between two sv episodes. One when I was 5 or 6, the other when I was 8.

I wasn't afraid of it either time, only since the last episode has the fear kicked in. Which is weird I guess, since I wasn't afraid of it during the episode, but I'm terrified of it happening again.Edited by: mxw08

I can only remember 4 times.

Once was Christmas morning when I was around 7.(You can tell I wasn't feeling good in the pics lol)

Once at my mom's work when I was around 12.

sv* around 13.

sv* last year.

I can only remember my younger brother being sick three times when he was younger.(we shared a room until 5th grade HATED IT)Edited by: xmdslatx

I'm told I v* once from FP when I was really little, other than that I recall a lot of v* from a SV when I was 3, scary situation for my little mind, one v* episode from a SV when we were on a trip in AZ when I was 6, then one from unknown origins when I was 7, and again SV when I was 8, not again from then till a nasty norovirus when I was 15 and just last December, only once, think that was a mild SV. I guess a lot compared to people here, not much compared to other non emets.

Yeah, it's kind of strange, I mean I am not sure of the amounts of times I have gotten sick but it has not been alot considering I am going on 28 and could go years without getting sick. However, like I said my brother and sister were sick alot more than me, sister being car sick alot, brother having allergies, father having only half a stomach so food often doesn't agree with him (like on a daily basis) and mom is anemic and gets headaches alot and has passed out quite a few times and doesn't feel well often.

I used to be quite sick a lot when I was younger not so much now. But my sister who Is 16 still gets sick quite a lot she can get sick from nearly anything.

I remember getting sick a few times when I was in elementary school, but don't recall having sv* in jr high, high school or college. I believe it is much more rampant now.

I was sick a lot with stuff not involving v*.
    When I was out in the sun for long, I'd get a fever and bad headaches and would be in bed for 3 days. I also got a lot of influenzas and colds. [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

Also, I think I had one sv in jr high, one (possibly food poisoning) in high school. None since then.

I was hardly ever sick as a child..only three times I can remember.

One when I was about 3 - I vaguely remember it and asking my mum 'why does it taste so horrible?' but I wasn't quite grasping the situation!

Then a big gap until I was 7. I didn't even know what nausea felt like, so suffice to say I ran off on this large ferry because I felt bad but felt I had to run, and ended up v* on someone. Oops.

Then the only time after that was when I was 8 and caught a stupid stomach bug from school camp. It wasn't a particularly violent illness but that was the one that made me emet for the simple reason I realised that everything about v* was so horrible and scary that I never wanted to do it again.

14 years later and I still think the same thing. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I definitely think the fact I was hardly sick as a child contributes towards my emet, because I could never recognise the feeling of n* so it came as a bit of a shock when I did v*.

It turned out my dad is a bit emetophobic - he hasn't thrown up since before I was born (1983 or 1984!!) and has a strong aversion to people being ill near him. Maybe I subconsciously picked up on it.

as a child and as an adult i vomited ALOT! of course, i had cyclic vomiting syndrome, so i would vomit every month non stop until i went into the hospital, going on two years straight. i had a kidney stone that had vomiting with it when i was 9, and a rare disease where i hemorraged blood and vomited/diarread/peed bright red blood for two days straight when i was 10. once during high school when i was 16 from a sv, and then not again until i had hyperemesis at 22 from being pregnant.i actually dont remember my emet kicking in from myself vomiting ever, just others, though if i am nauseous i can hold off and not vomit until i let myself, which i usually do, to feel better, if i havent eaten a lot of food prior i will do this. i have problems with others vomiting, eek!

Supernanny, did you ever find something to help you with CVS? My brother's girlfriend has this(we think) its been kinda strange having someone in the house often who v*s a lot when I'm emetophobic but I realie I can't catch it and usually just feel sympathy for her.

This is very interesting.
    I can remember a few times, but not all. They really never stuck in my head.
    Once from drinking grape juice, once from eating speghetti (<5 yrs old, don't know specifics).
    Once when I was in first grade - I remember this SO WELL. I sat on the couch with a bucket and just v* in it whenever I felt bad. I remember NOT EVEN CARING. I wish I was as brave as I was when I was 7!!
    When I was 12 I got sick randomly in the middle of the night. Ever since then I have prayed to God not to let me get sick.

I threw up twice when I was 5, once when I was 7 and twice when I was 21...I'm 22 now. My mom said that I threw up before I was 5, but not much and I don't remember it. But as for being 'sick'...I've had TONS of colds and quite a few fevers...but not much v*! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

That I can remember:
    - Waking up in the middle of the night and just thinkiing, "WHAT is THAT?", but I don't actually remember the act itself.
    - Suddenly standing naked, dripping wet, aged about four, on my bedroom floor after one of my parents telling the other (funny how I remember the words but not the voices and who said what) "she's just v*ed." I'd t*u* in the bath and I remember poking myself in the stomach afterwards wondering how it had happened, whether my stomach had a hole in it or something. I think it was after that episode that I became obsessed and frightened, always asking questions about how long it takes to digest certain foods and whether people v*ed if they didn't go to the toilet.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I thought if you didn't let it out one end, it came back out the other way...!
    Maybe this should go in the "how we got emet" thread, but recently I've wondered if my dad played a role in it. I have another memory of wetting myself on my tricycle and my dad yelling, "BLOODY HELL, SARAH!" When you're a little girl, that's a really bad swearword, I always hated hearing people swearing, and my dad has mild OCD himself. He looked after me during the day for the first four years of my life; my mum was at work (trust the "normal" parent to go off to work and leave me with the OCD one, lol). Another time my dad yelled at me when I was on the toilet (can't remember what I was doing). To this day I hate going to the toilet when there's anyone else in that end of the house or in the public toilets, etc., and usually wait until I'm alone before I go. Maybe my dad had yelled at me for v*ing in the bath and I developed an aversion to bodily excretions altogether!
    I should also add that my dad, apart from having a short fuse when it comes to neatness and having full sets of things - typical OCD - and of me wetting myself(!), was a very good parent, only smacked me when I did something very wrong (this was back in the day when parents were still allowed to smack their kids) and did plenty to make sure I ate well and kept entertained. Not negligent or abusive at all! We've talked about those episodes and he's admitted that he probably should've gone back to work, rather than my mum, so I wouldn't have ended up with OCD, social phobia, depression (all problems he's had as well) and emet.
    The first time I remember really freaking out about v* is when EVERYONE in my family got an sv when I was about five. My dad blamed my mum's lasagne and now I'm always really panicky about Italian food, even more so since I v*ed two years ago after eating spaghetti bolognese for lunch and pizza for tea!Edited by: wallflower