Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hi everyone.. i havent been on this website in a while, so im not sure how many of you remember me. for those who dont my name is christina, im 22 years old, and ive been an emet since i was 10. i have a quick question. when i started college i decided to become a nurse to help get over my fear of v* and germs. so after much hard work and studying, i graduated and passed my RN boards. now that im a nurse and have to start working, im terrified. i dont mind other people v*, but im scared that since im a new nurse and around so many germs, i am going to get s* a lot. I need everyone's opinion. i heard new nurses get s* a lot and i dont know if i can do it. i mean its not like that many people are hospitalized for sv* so why would i get s* a lot?? ah im so confused im second guessing even becoming a nurse
    *..Chrissy..*

\"Beneath the makeup and under the smile, was a girl who just wished for the world\"-Marilyn Monroe

hi hun didnt want to read and run. i have it very severe and at the moment its taking over me. but the strange thing is i have a really strong urge for all things medical! im married into a family of past doctors and my mil is a nurse! i am not medically trained but have a lot of medical knowledge and i hold a few certificates for advanced first aid, i read a lot of medical health related books and know the family health encyclopedia inside and out! family and friends ask me frequently about one medical thing to another. but my phobia prevented me some yrs ago to get the medical training i so desperatly wanted. i wanted to be an occupational therapist all through school but when i read up more and discovered that i could be faced with a v* patient, i backed away from my degree course and will always regret it. so i wish to congratulate you on going through with it and getting your nursing degree, if you got through that im sure you will get through anything. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    life is tough sometimes....to love me you have to understand me
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    !

Well im not really sure if this is right but I would assume that new nurses get sick because, I mean of course hospitals are crawling with germs, but maybe they don't use proper care with keeping clean, and maybe eating without washing their hands, and nurses that have been there for a while either realize they were sick of getting sick and are extra careful about the germs or have become ammune to them. I think as long as you are careful about what goes in your mouth and rubbing your nose and eyes you will be fine! Congratulations, I am very envious because I always wanted to get into nursing I just don't think I could ever do it. I hope this helped a little

I think you're very brave to become a nurse - but I suppose if you're not too bad with *others* being sick you will be mostly OK.

As for catching stuff, if you remain very careful you should keep pretty germ-free, but your risk is raised. My mum is a nurse and I never forget the one Christmas she caught norovirus from the hospital ward and came home and was so ill - I locked myself in the dining room for 24 hours in my desperate attempt not to catch it (I ended up with flu at new year instead!!) [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Good for you!!! I love the medical field and always said that if I lived a different life, without anxiety, fears, etc. I would have gone into pediatrics or something. I am a medical assistant but have been home for 8 or so years now. I would like to get certified for phlebotomy because I love to draw blood [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]Everyone can't understand that. They know I am phobic about v* and can't believe blood doesn't bother me. I guess I have never been traumatized with blood before like I was when I got the flu and was really sick at 10 years old. Go for it and do your best. You could even confide in someone you work with that you are comfortable with....no shame in that.bg

You are my hero for becoming a nurse with this phobia. Good luck and keep us informed of how things are going [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Andee - I know what you mean about the blood thing - it's weird how fears develop as it always seems more people are afraid of blood than v*. I'm also not fussed about blood as even if there was a total bloodbath and someone was bleeding to death it wouldn't bother me and I'd be able to deal with the situation calmly...you should definitely make the most of being pro-blood lol

Uh-oh. I thought speech pathology was a good career path for an emet obsessed with medicine and languages...never occurred to me that I could come into contact with v* as well (more than any other job where you work with kids and other people). I did think about the swallowing disorder patients, but then I read tinydancer75's thing about OT...crap. I could always change my course preferences (I've just sent them in), but my other option was primary teaching. Probably just as much risk![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] Edited by: wallflower

first of all, CONGRATS!! getting through school is a huge
    accomplishment, especially for an emet! anyway, your immune system
    is much, much stronger than you think. my mom is a nurse and has
    been sick maybe 4 times since i've been around (21 years) and i'm only
    talking about colds here, never sv's of any sort. every day, whether we
    want to believe it or not, we're coming into contact with millions of
    germs no matter what... and how often are we sick?? load up on
    vitamins and probiotics and wash your hands, i'm sure you'll be no
    more sick that what's normal for you. good luck in all you do!