Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dehydration

Well, jeez, I haven't been to the 'sicky forums' (I call them that even though we're terrified of it...?) in a while. Part of that is due to the therapy I've been recieving - it helps a lot. I thought I'd be one of those people who would stay and help though... I do log on every once in a while though! So besides promoting CBT (do it if you can! I know it's hard but it helps so much!), I wanted to share something with you all that happened today.

I've talked to a few others here who have frequent UTIs as well. I get them quite often, and was recently diagnosed with lupus, which can attack the kidneys. Since today is Labor Day, I could not get into any doctor I normally see, and was left with an urgent care clinic. Did all my stuff, peed in a cup... woah. That urine there was a little dark. I should probably drink more, I thought.
    After picking up my meds, I started feeling sick. I put on my awesome Sea-Bands (regardless of mind-over-matter, or if they really work, I have found they calm my anxiety and n*) and waited for the feeling to go away. I'm far enough along in therapy where I know that my stomach is just reacting to my phobia. I knew, This is just anxiety and it will go away if I breathe and focus on something else.
    But it didn't go away. And then I realized, Oh no... it is the dreaded 'real stomach problems!'
    I practically ran into my dorm and laid down, praying for the feeling to go away. After laying down, I realized I felt fine. I decided to eat something, since with preggy ladies motion sickness goes away with snacks, and also I read somewhere else that eating small snacks and meals all the time helps with n*. I got up to get the applesauce and felt bad again. Laid down, it was fine. Finished the applesauce and got up to put in a movie. Felt bad again. Laid down (you see where I'm going? hehe).

Since the medication I'm on for a UTI drains all of the water out of you to flush out bacteria, and since my urine was pretty dark (you can tell how hydrated you are by your pee! transparent = awesome, brown = GET FLUIDS NOW), I figured I should drink something. I downed a water bottle and tried to get up again. Actually... I felt a ton better. I was walking around and everything.

I read often on the forums about dehydration causing n* but have never experienced it myself. I know that it's scary because you are afraid the water will come back up, but just try to take sips of it if you ever feel bad and think about this. It helped me so much. And even if it is sickness from something else, water will help your body a lot too.

yeah, dehydration can definitely cause n*. My favorite thing to drink is Propel water because it has a little bit of taste to it (I love most of their flavors) so you have something to kinda focus on, unlike plain water, and it's got other stuff in it that will help you if you're dehydrated. just a thought! if I'm feeling n* caused by dehydration, or just fake n*, it really helps!