Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hand sanitizer

does anyone know how effective hand sanitizer is on killing sv* bugs? I have heard differing opinions on it, some say it's the best thing you can use, others say only bleach kills sv* germs. anybody have thoughts on that? the reason I'm asking is, when I'm at work and someone's sick, I want something to clean my hands with, and sometimes it's hard to get to a sink to wash them. last time something went around I managed to avoid it, but then I was just REALLY careful never to touch my mouth unless I'd washed my hands. so I'm just wondering if anybody knows about hand sanitizer.

Hand sanitizer has alcohol in it and alcohol with kill sv on hands. Bleach is more effective on surfaces. Obviously the best solution is hand washing with soap and water. It is not the soap and water as much and the rubbing of the hands under the water that rids the virus. Sanitizer is absolutely a good alternative.

Stella

I had heard that alcohol was ineffective at killing noroviruses because they do not have an envelope like many other bugs which the alcohol would destroy. It also seems that there was a hand sanitizer discussed by some members here that was supposedly a way to kill noro. Frequent handwashing is still much better.

So how does hand washing prevent it if the soap won't kill the virus?

I want to bring something to the grocery store to wipe off the cart handle before use.

Do you think that lysol multi purpose cleaner can get rid of it if it can get rid of salmonella and e coli? (even though it says let it stand for 10 minutes or so)

use hand sanitizer that contains benzalkonium choride (sp?)... this kills
    noro, ethyl alcohol will not. as for hand-washing, washing your hands
    with soap and water loosens and removes the germs that are on your
    skin. and no, lysol is not effective at killing noro. BLEACH BLEACH
    BLEACH all the way!

Milton Santizer is a hand anti back gel that is proven too kill the noro virus as well as roto amiongst other s* bugsits really great available form drug stores and chemist( us and uk) andisnt expensive!
    Its me in the Pink Sparkly top!Do I look like an emet!No-1 even noes what it is!Where do u begin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I knew someone had mentioned an effective sanitizer but I don't really like them just prefer to wash my hands frequently and thoroughly, although it often puts me in a public restroom which I'm not too wild about, but it seems the better choice between that and not washing hands.

yeah, I definitely agree that washing hands is better. the reason I was asking the question is because a lot of times at work I need to clean my hands and can't wash them. thanks for the help guys!

If you're in the US, look for wet ones wipes. It will kill the sv*.

if you search Zappit on google and go to their website its one of the only sanitizers that kills norovirus so stock up on that [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

This topic comes up over and over eh? Frustrating. I wish we had a better information section here.
    The thing is, these hand-sanitizer people keep changing their formulas to make them better and more likely to kill noroviruses. SOME lysol products work against noro, and others don't - or at least they didn't, last time I checked.
    Soap does not KILL norovirus, but rather it loosens the particles off your hands so the water washes them down the drain. This is the BEST preventative method against norovirus - proven many times. Whenever you can, get to a sink and wash your hands. Always wash them before eating or putting hands in your mouth.
    As for other things - you have to go product by product.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I agree with Sage and everyone else, handwashing is the best way to prevent illness. I did some research a while back on hand sanitzer called HandClens. It contains 0.13% Benzalkonium Chloride. They have a website of

www.HandClens.com

There is alot of information there and I even had several e-mails back and forth with them as well. It is widely used in schools around the US.
    Georgi