Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Migranes?

My sister has started having these headaches that my mom thinks are migranes. I'm just wondering if someone that previously hasn't had them can suddenly start having them. She's also started feeling sick with them, which is worrying for me (one sister had n*, but she'd had a bad stuffy nose with a cold, and this sister had n* but had a migraine, so hoping it's coincidence.)

but do those ever start out of nowhere? does anybody here know? She's had headaches this bad before, but she said they didn't make her sick, and this last one she's had off and on for about a week and a half. I feel sorry for her, but I'm glad it's not me![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I hardly ever had a headache until two years ago, i get them all the time now and feel ill with them I am 48 years old and mine might be to do with a pre menopuase.

You can get migraine headaches at any point in your life. I get them alot now (i am 24) and they get worse when I am stressed out. The n* is normal, I always get n* with migraines, and it helps when you eat. Is she stressed at all? Any big life changes? That could be the problem...

well, she just came down with a cold this morning, so maybe that was part of it. and yes, my parents (who homeschool us) started a much stricter school schedule this year, and I know everybody's a bit stressed over that. or maybe it was the fact that she got up at five in the morning to do school, and was staring at a computer screen for a couple of hours! she said she felt better once she ate something though.

I hope she finds out how to manage this stuff, because whenever she has a headache she doesn't want to eat, and she's underweight anyway!

I had an overactive thyroid gland when I was 17 and I developed migranes. I had about 4 in total before I got it all under control.

The migrane would start off with flashing colours in the corner of my right eye, as I thought my retina was detached at first. Then the headache would come on and it was the most painful headache ever - I felt that a concrete block was squashing my head into my neck.

I did get moderate nausea with it, but what I did was take an antiemetic and strong painkillers, and I locked myself in the cupboard as I couldn't face the light, and I would sleep them off. Some people do v* with migranes but the key is to tell when one is on the way (like the flashing lights) and get some medication on the ready.

I think you can start having them at any time, and stress doesn't help. I was doing my A-Levels and was aiming for a top university when my thyroid went on the blink. Avoiding chocolate, cheese, alcohol, rich foods etc also helps.

Staring at a computer for long periods of time def gives me a damn headache!!! hahah

My migraines started out of the blue when I was about 16. I could easily tell
    what they are as I get the flashing lights/lack of focus (the aura) with them.
    A headache lasting for a week and half is pretty long though - most
    migraines don't last that long although if they came and went then perhaps
    she might have cluster headaches? Anyway I reckon she should definitely
    see a doctor if they continue. If it is migraine he will be able to prescribe to
    help her with the nausea and the pain and if not, then she should be
    checked out anyway if the problem persists.