Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Strep test!

Ugh, I am so scared of throat cultures, but I am going for one in a half hour. Yesterday I woke up with a horrible sore throat and it has not gotten any better. I keep looking at it in the mirror with a flashlight, and there is a big white spot and my tonsils, especially on one side, look all nasty. I don't have a fever, or feel sick, besides the sore throat, but I know I should go in, especially since it's Friday, and I wouldn't want to have to wait until Monday. So, please send good thoughts because I HATE the test! It always makes me gag, and I usually end up shoving the nurse away. How embarrassing. Thanks for any positive energy you can send! I'll let you know how it went.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Oh, I flipped out on a doctor once because of that! Well, it was just the routine lollipop stick down the throat thing, but I was in tears and hyperventilating! He even yelled at me and told me I was immature...I was 19... [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yep, I have been there, too. Luckily, the burse was nice today. I cried, but got through it. And,it was negative.

The big white spot isn't always strep, but another virus (not stomach related lol) and its your white blood cells coming to the surface to fight the infection. I am glad you don't have strep, it sucks! and i hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the info about the white spot! Any ideas what I should do about it?

If its negative for strep its probably one of those non v* type viruses that affect your throat and tonsils. I had one of those about 4 years ago, not as bad as v* but a KILLER sore throat, lots of drainage on and off fever/chills. best thing I found was to drink plenty of fluids and rest and rat HOT foods(like soup) and COLD foods like frappucinos and ice cream. It took awhile but many times with that sort of viral infection or allergic inflammation I've been much better in a day or two, Here's hoping you have something real minor like that.

If there is a white spot, have you taken any antibiotics recently? They can increase your risk of 'trush'...I got that recently for no reason...it's kinda gross...but really, all you can do is ask your doctor for some diflucan...it made most of it go away for me...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You are better then me. I cant have a strep-test. I get anxiety attacks and its horrible. Last time I started crying and I know the nurse thought I was crazy. I finally found a doctor that will just give me amoxicillin if it looks like strep. I know its not the greatest thing, but I cant get a strep test. I hate anything by my throat, that can make me v*.

Not much better than you, mrsgabel! I did cry, and I am sure the nurse thought I was crazy!

It seems to have turned into a nasty cold, so hopefully, nothing major. Nope, I have not been on antibiotics recently, so I have no clue what the white spot is! It's still there, too, even though my throat is feeling better.

You may actually want to google 'tonsil stones'. They are nasty white little things that hang out in the back of your throat and will cause a sore throat if they build up.

Beware though, they're really gross.

Ugh, I have looked those up before. I am just not sure what to do about mine. My throat isn't even sore anymore, I just have a cold, but the big white spot is still there!

i know this sounds gross, but it will fall off lol. every time i have the
    slightest cold or sore throat (like right now actually), those "white spots"
    appear on my tonsils and stay for quite a while. sometimes they end up
    on my tongue and i spit them out lol, other times they just disappear (i
    guess i swallow them). sorry for being so gross lol. and regarding the
    strep test (i know you already had yours, good for you getting through
    it!): my doctor used to tell me to take a big breath and then let out a
    big cough as he swabbed because that counteracts the gag reflex.
    worked great for me. hope you're feeling better soon!

Well if it's still there and you want to get it out, you can usually press around back there and it will pop out. Or go get a Waterpik and flush it out.

Thanks for all the advice! I hope you are right, Lauren, and it falls out on it's own, eventually. And, I will try that big breath and cough thing next time. I don't think there is any way I could press around back there to get it out; it's way too far back, and I know I would gag! Maybe the Waterpik idea might work. I guess if it doesn't come out on its own pretty soon, I may try that.

On a semi-related note, now that I have a cold and my nose is all clogged, I bought a neti-pot. Has anyone ever tried one? I have not tried it yet. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this!

Thanks,
    Mary

about the neti-pot: my best friend's mom swears by it!!

mocha, i was going to suggest she try to pick it out, but i though i'd
    sounded gross enough and would have felt weird if no one else had
    ever tried it lol they smell horrible though lol

Haha, I have heard and read about how gross they smell! It is just so far back that I would never be able to get back there!

Neti Pots rule!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a bit awkward at first but you will get used to it. Definately makes me feel better and Im sure it will help your congestion too!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

Well, my nose feels better on its own, but I might keep my NetiPot around in case I ever need it. But, the huge white spot is still in the back of my throat! I wish I could get it out!

I had a strep two days ago. But the nurse let me do it myself

Yeah, she was gonna let me do it myself, but I knew I couldn't either.