Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I overcame Emet

Hi there, this is my first post. I firstly must say that I am nearly 50-years old and that I only realised recently that I had been suffering from Emet in my late teans and early twenties................it came as a huge shock to me!! I didn't think it was a diagnosed problem, instead at the time I thought I was mad [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I have searched my brain to find out what caused it, the only thing my mother tells me is that I was always afraid of vomiting, I can remember one time I was ill asking her if she thought I would get sick, to which she told me no, a few hours later I vomited...it was nothing major and I really am not sure when it began.

In my late teens I married into a very loveless marraige and became very introverted, although I didn't have Emet at this time a few years later I got a job as a traveling window dresser, every day I travelled by train around the country and it was around this time that it started, I just couldn't function, I cfound work impossible ! One day when getting off thetrain I noticed a young lad who was obviously ill vomiting on the pavement, this sent me into a panic................at this time Emet was just all consuming and I find it hard to descibe how things were.

I thought I was crazy, I felt to embarresed to even go to my doctor an so suffered in silence.(this was around 1980)
    I eventually have to stop working and couldn't even go outside, looking back I now know that I have a complete mental breakdown.

I decided to take things slowely, I remember leaving my flat and walking a few yards down the road and returning so pleased with myself.............I guess this was he way I recovered, I withdrew from work, stayed in and took my time.

I have been free from it for around 25 years now and yet there are still times when I find myslef thinking will I vomit, I usually quickly think of something else and try to move on.

The relief I felt when I realised that it is a recognised problem and so common !!!!!

I am so glad I have found this website and can't wait to start reading [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Welcome to IES and thank you so much for posting! I have so much hope for myself and the others on this site that we will someday overcome our emet...Right now, I'm 22-years-old and have been afraid of v* since I was 5-years-old...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello anniebea

I think I've recently managed to overcome my emet a great deal. Its still not entirely gone but since I was actually sick a couple of weeks ago it has decreased massively.

People keep dropping off this site because they've managed to get over their phobia, and its nice too see another success story

Hey anniebea
    Great to have you here - welcome. What a wonderful story! Your story shows that with commitment, determination, and gradually...step-by-step doing the things that you're afraid of...you WILL get better. You're an inspiration!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.