Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay, so, I've had this cold/flu/sinus infection since saturday, and it's thursday now. I know I'm worrying for no reason, but still. Yesterday, I started coughing and I coughed so hard that I gagged and almost v*. To avoid this, when I cough up phelgm I just swallow it, and it's making me feel sort of sick. I researched it online, and I know that's the stupidest thing to do, but it said that the when people have the flu, they can have v* and d*. I'm freaking out. Do you guys think it's possible for me to get sick, 5 days into the illness? The doctor prescribed an antibiotic so I'm guessing it isn't actually the flu anyway, but I'm worried. Please help!

-Rachel

I think if you were going to v it would have happened already. Try spitting the phlegm out though. Also its usually kids that v from a respiratory flu. As for d the drainage can make you have to go more but it shouldn't make it like real d, maybe just a bout or two but again I think it would have happened by now. Just take care of yourself, if youre on antibiotics they should be kicking in soon and you should start feeling better. Hope this helps and you feel better soon!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, Simplyme.
    Yeah, I'm hoping the antibiotic starts soon. I got it on Tuesday. I feel a little bit better, but my nose is still stuffy, I still have a cough, and I'm a little queasy. But I think that's from the phlegm I swallowed. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I have a mssive illness like that right now also. And honestly, the worst thing to do is swallow the phlegm. Its disgusting to cough it up, I hate it and it makes me gag, but you're getting it out and you need to! By swallowing the phlegm its going to your chest and to your stomach which therefore is making the infection worse.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry for the awkwardness, but by swallowing it, wouldn't you just like...poop it out?
    I'm just afraid that having it in my stomach will make me v*. I dunno, I'm not really n*, but I'm a little queasy, but if I have something in my stomach it helps.
    I think something is going around, betsie. I'm in high school, and EVERYBODY has this thing.

And I physically CAN'T cough it up. I cough it up a little, and it just gets stuck sort of half way, and then I panic and swallow it.
    I've tried coughing it up, but nothing happens, excpet I gag.Edited by: kablam____x

Hello there Kablam,

One thing that many people (particularly emets) tend to forget is that influenza vomiting is common in small children but not teens or adults.

Pleghm is a really discomforting substance, but I believe I've had what you have now, and I had the same worries -- but I never vomited, and I really don't think you will, either.

Good luck and feel better!,

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

flu season seems to be starting early this year [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I've never heard of someone v* with the flu. I get a little n* from swallowing all that stuff, but never too bad. last time it went around at our house a couple people were a bit n* but that was it. It was bad though because even though my parents got the flu shot, they still got it and gave it to all of us.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]