Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Relief

Hi my name is Vanessa and I am 23 yrs. old. I just found this site and realized that this is what I have. I have suffered for the the past 5 yrs., but within the last 2 yrs it has gotten worse. I have major anxiety and it is affecting my life. I am so consumed with thoughts of being sick and what is going to make me sick that I can't gain weight because I worry about everything I eat. I weigh 86lbs and am 5'1" and although I don't look unhealthy I feel unhealthy. I can't go on with such anxiety, I have acid reflux because of it. I want to be a "normal" 23 yr old and I feel that I can't with this phobia. I am going to see a therapist in a month and I used to see her, but never told her about my anxiety because I thought I was weird. It's such a sigh of relief to know that I am not the only one. Oh and tonight I went and got jamba juice with my friend and he told he had been sick and I freaked out.I took him home right after getting my drink and disenfected everything. I haven't been feeling good for a couple of days and now i'm worried that I am going to get what he has even thought I was only around him for 15 mins.

Hi, welcome. You sound about my size! I am 5 ft 1 inch and about 95 pounds when I'm doing well. I have had this phobia for many years and have a hard time keeping weight on. I can't eat when I am anxious.
    You will find a lot of similar stories here and a lot of help.
    Please tell your therapist EVERYTHING. She will not think it is weird and has seen and heard a lot worse, I am sure. That is the start to healing...Good luck.

if you do research on sv*s everything I have found says that they take at most 48 (some say 72) hours to show up, and once the first symptoms are experienced it is only a few hours before full-blown illness. so it sounds like you are safe by now![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi vc,
    Welcome to the site.
    I want you to know that there IS hope for overcoming this phobia. I used to suffer terribly, just as you describe, and now I'm completely anxiety-free and lead a normal life. Many others get treatment and get well.
    Check out my information website at www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com
    It's got lots of great information to help you.
    Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.