Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: had tummy virus

a Week ago i had a huge tummy virus. I was "n" like hell. I did vomit, but nothing came out. This is strange, because this happens every time? Does this happens to you guys and is this related to the fear. I freaked out. Make myself cold with water. I dont think i will ever get over this fear.

whenever I get sick, and v* usually nothing comes out. it's either because I don't have anything in my stomach, or because my throat kind of closes when I v* (part of the reason for my fear)

+ I don't think I've ever v****** nothing.
    I've had dry heaves once, which was weird because it had never happened to me before.
    I don't know if this is exactly the same thing, but I think it happens when there's no food in your tummy.
    I hadn't really eaten anything that day. +
    + \"My musick may seem like ugly , angry, useless noise; but it is what I see in you, and it is precisely what you deserve.\" +

- Rosemary Malign, Noise Artist -

I've never dry heaved.Only gagged one major time where I thought I was going to v* but didn't.

When I was sick, the last v* I did was stomach acid and then I was done.

I found when I got a SV last year I V* nothing because I wouldn't let myself V*...but my dad was telling me "to just get it out" and that's when It stopped being dry...

I think anxiety has something to do with it...
    I remember as a little kid I felt really N* and i was really scared...and I ended up V* nothing.

You did a good job getting through it though!
    ~~~The One Winged Angel~~~

if you're fighting it, you'll tend to gag or heave a lot more than if you
    were just giving in and v'ing

I never understand how people on tv can v* large quantities all at once with like NO problems getting it out... I think it's because they're aren't scared of it. Yuck [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

Ohh this thread grossed me out! Now my hands are all sweaty!
    My thoughts are that if you vomit nothing then I don't think that is really vomiting. This has happened to me but I wrote it off as gagging or dry heaving. I don't consider it vomiting if there is no vomit. Yuk. Now I feel all paniced!! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

kellybeth, try not to worry. you're completely right... if nothing comes
    up, it's not v'ing... it's just dh'ing. if you have the courage, look up the
    definition of v* and you'll see that you're right.

+ That's what I figured too.
    Actually, is it even possible to stop yourself from v******* when you have a s* v*?
    I used to get that a lot when I was a kid, but I could never prevent, no matter how scared I was.
    D* h* are a different thing, I'm sure. +
    + \"My musick may seem like ugly , angry, useless noise; but it is what I see in you, and it is precisely what you deserve.\" +

the last time i had a sv, i fought hard against the horrible n* that i had. i was 7 1/2 months pregnant at the time, so i went to the hospital because i could tell i was dehydrated. i was too scared to put anything, even water, into my stomach. i made it to the hospital, got put in a room, and before a nurse even came in to check my hydration levels, i told my fiance to give me the garbage can that was nearby and to go get the nurse right away. as soon as he left the room and i was alone, i just gave in. i couldn't deal with the n* anymore and i knew if i just got it out i would probably feel better. i v* probably 6 or 7 times, and after that i felt a lot better. the nurse gave me some water to rinse out my mouth and brought me...well i guess it was a travel v* bag, just in case it happened again. i felt great right up until they had to administer my IV, and as soon as that was in I v* again, but only 3 or 4 times. they gave me anti-emetics through my IV and I didn't v* again after that. They gave me a bottle of Zofran to take home and I took one every 8 hours without fail, I even woke up in the middle of the night on purpose to take it for fear that I would be horribly ill if I didn't.

i haven't had dh* in...i can't even remember how long. but yeah, if you do that, nothing will come out. i actually think the last time i had dh*, i did it like 5 times and then v* a bit of stomach acid. I think it was because I was in a car with no air conditioning in the dead of summer with an empty stomach...so that was kind of my fault.

we emets tend to be very strong when it comes to fighting n*. the only reason i gave in when i did was because i didn't want to hurt my baby by keeping a virus inside of me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everytime I v*, i've never tried to stop myself because I always feel so much better once its up.. and not to make anyone feel disgusted or nothing...don't read any further if you dont wanna but when I v*, its always lots and lots.... and I guess thats why I've only ever v* like 2 times in the same day...ever if you understand what I mean.

i think my biggest fear is the n.....i am not sure....that is what causes the anxiety in me. Maybe if i would jsut v with no warning...it would not be so bad....emabrassing...but at least no anxeity.

anyone else feel like that?

just want to clear something up... v'ing while you have an sv* will not
    "get the virus out". just like a rhinovirus gives you a stuffy nose, an sv*
    makes you n* or makes you v*. your body is not doing it to rid itself of
    the virus. therefore, giving in and allowing yourself to v* will not make
    you better any more quickly, and fighting the n* will not lead you to be
    sicker for longer (although you will be able to relieve yourself of n*
    temporarily if you give in to the n*). it just depends on the strength of
    the virus and your immune system.

I dont understand how its possible to v* but nothing comes out?

wouldnt it just be dry heaving if nothing is coming out?

for it to be v*ing something has to come out?

yes emetmama, you're 100% correct... that is the definition of v*

i'm the same as you katsamsmum!! if i just v* right now it would be ok.. i mean it would be horrible obviously but nobody likes to v* its definately more about the n* and the fact that all i can think about is that i MIGHT v* though the last time i did was just after i gave birth because i was given pethidine (against my will.. but when your in that much pain its hard to argue!) i felt n* for only a couple of minutes and i knew it was coming, i didnt fight it and i felt immediately better after!

*GRAPHIC*
    Just a warning not to try and "keep it down" if you really really know you're going to v*, cos I did that once, stayed up all night trying not to, and then in the morning a tiny mouthful came out and the rest went out the other way....not nice AT ALL.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I would rather have horrible d* then v* once.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgabel
    [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img] I hear that!!
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    Same here!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by kellybeth
    Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    Same here!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

yeeeah me too! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] d* doesnt bother me at all, its a completely different feeling in your tummy and everything..

+ My thoughts exactly!
    I can think of a lot of things I'd rather happen to me than v* once. +

Lauren is completely right, v* will NOT get rid of the virus. The actual virus is in the intestines and v* is only a secondary response.
    Georgi