Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello again!

Just wondering how other fellow emets go with Boats and Cruises etc? My husband has owned a few boats and i go out on the boat with him sometimes and i'm mostly fine but after a while i get butterfly tingly feelings in my tummy (which i think is the anxiety with emet cos i've never suffered sea sickness in my life!).. I dont like going out with him and other people because the other people might get seasick! I usually only try to go with Hubby because i know he's fine.

Next important Q is... Have any of you been on a cruise? We want to go up north to Broome for our 1st wedding anniversary in january and hubby really wants to go on a cruise and i've looked at pics n packages etc and they look like HEAVEN.... but i cant bring myself to go on a cruise because i've heard stories of people being sick on them for most of the time?

Has anyone been on one themselves? Did your emet raise your anxiety through the roof during the time you were on the cruise etc?? I Dont know if its like a boat or not, especially since we'd have to sleep on it!!? If i do decide to go i dont want my emet and anxiety issues to ruin the whole holiday! Its already bad enough me just being in an airport to board a plane!

For my honeymoon my husband and I went on a cruise... he assured me that you couldn't feel a thing since the boat was so big.

As for seasickness, I was okay even though I have a very keen sense of balance until the last night when the seas were VERY choppy. They had plenty of free dramamine to I was perfectly fine - even at a huge room-service meal right after! I never saw anyone v*, although one night I thought I heard someone do it in the room next to mine the first night (probably drunk though not seasick), and the night it was really rough seas there were seasickness bags everywhere.

In spite of that, and the fact that we missed our beach day as a result of the bad seas, it was totally worth it.
    Visit my handmade jewelry blog!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

We have a boat and I love being out on the lake As for cruises I would never go on one. I just think of them as a huge germ factory and being stuck in the middle of the ocean with no way to escape really freaks me out.

My parents have been on three cruises but I refused point blank each time to go on them. I haven't been seasick since I was 7 (before I was emetophobic) but even that experience put me off boats.

I'm sure cruises are very stable and the bigger the boat, the better, but with the choppy seas aside, the thing that puts me off most is the repututation cruise liners have for noroviruses - I've read so many news stories about stomach bug outbreaks that it's enough for me never to go on one.

I prefer flying anyway!

I think the big boats used in cruises would be better than the small ones as they dont feel the rough seas as bad sorry i cant help much ive never been on a boat i fear them also! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been on a cruise and it was kick ass! didn't even feel like you were moving at all (had a fear of sea sickness!)

we went during the summer so there was no real threat of a noro outbreak.

Have not and will not as I can't control OTHERS that may be seas*!!! EWWWW.....

Plus I get motion sickness myself (can't even play some video games -- so just not an option. Plus I like to do things at my own pace on vacation -- not be herded around like cattle -- feeding time, recreation time, etc.

Good luck with the decision making on this one. I know many, many people who LOVE cruises and none of them has had a bad experience!!!

So...it's really just my emet keeping me from enjoying the open sea!

I refuse to go on a boat. I hate them. I went on a whale watch when I was a kid. I remember an old lady getting sick on the boat. She had to tell me and my brother to be careful cuz we allmost stepped in it. That was the one and only time I will ever go on a boat of any kind. I'm way to afraid. Plus I also have a fear of water thats over my head. Swimming pools are ok but lakes and oceans.... np thanks.

I have done a lot of freshwater boating but my ocean travel has been limited to ferrys. I have never been seasick, but I've seen plenty of people puke on ferries.

I am apprehensive about cruising. In addition to concerns about seasickness and norovirus, women here should also be worried about the amount of crew rape that happens on cruise ships.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia
    My parents have been on three cruises but I refused point blank each time to go on them.
    Same here. My whole family went on a cruise to Mexico a few years ago, and I refused. When I was about 12, we went on a ferry ride during a terrible storm, and I have never been so n*! I stood outside in the rain in the very front of the boat to try to focus, and managed to not v*. But that experience has ruined me. I have been on a pontoon boat though. They go pretty slow and the lake was very calm. There was always land in sight, so I was fine.

My sister works on cruise ships as a theatre manager. She says they hardly ever get rocky cuz they have huge balancing thingys. They have super food-safe and cleanliness standards now too and are no longer "germ factories" lol

You can also pick a cruise that doesn't have many "sea days" and go when the weather is good.

Have a GREAT TIME! I think you'll love it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

You know, if your the type of person that gets seasick it probably doesn't even matter what size the boat is. I went on a big cruise ship and about fifteen minutes into the ride I started to feel nauseated. My friends couldn't even feel it, but I sure could. My husband's ship (he is navy) has stabilizers but people on his ship still occasionally get sick.